Russel Brand on MSNBC

Guest Len B'stard

i fuckin' love that bastard, he's one of the few people in popular culture today that i rate. First saw him as a VJ on MTV and he would just be ranting all this fuckin' stuff and i just thought this guys amazing, how does he do it, it can't fuckin' be scripted the way he was reeling it off. It weren't either.

I think his talent lies more in stand up than anywhere else though.

Edited by sugaraylen

Briliant. This is the kind of humor I love, the humor in the midst of conversation. I know several people who do it as well as Russell here (though they wouldn't be able to do stand-up or acting like he can).

And I'm a little confused... they forgot his name and thought it was William? Or was the William someone else?

Edited by DirtyDeeds

Russell Brand is the bastard child of Morrissey and Howard Stern. There's no other way to describe him.

When you put two hosts in a room together, the chemistry is either going to be great or it's going to be a huge trainwreck. Russell's dangerous because he has a sharp wit, he's hosted a lot of shows, and can take over the interview. It's only when he's up against Letterman or Howard where he has to keep himself in check.

There's plenty of You Tube clips out there with Russell, Dave and Howard

Guest Len B'stard

Comparing him to that dickhead Howard Stern is a disservice to Russell, Russell is never mean-spirited or just horrible for horribles sake (unless you count the whole Andrew Sachs episode but first of all i don't think he was that mean spirited there, that was more Johnathan Ross and second of all thats nothing approaching the sort of bollocks Stern comes out with), Stern is a dickhead, Russell ain't like that. Well he is a certain kind of dickhead but not a malicious type one like Stern, Sterns a cock, I saw his interview with Mike Tyson and i was listenin' to it thinkin' 'yeah you wanker, you ain't givin' it now, are ya?'. I dunno how people tolerate being interviewed with him, i would just flatten the bastard.

Shame it weren't a younger Mike Tyson. Russell (or Howard) interviewing a young Johnny Rotten'd be funny too. Or better yet, Oliver fuckin' Reed, yeaaahh, there's a fuckin' lad who knew how to do an interview, i could imagine him bashin' the fuck out of Stern inside of 5 mins.

Edited by sugaraylen

He's a clever, witty guy, and I used to be more of a fan, but he really kind of sold out and went full-on Hollywood for a while. The way he ditched his show post-Sachsgate was like he used it as a convenient 'get out of jail free' card, because by that point it was abundantly clear he wanted to get out of London.

As much as I do like him, he is a narcissist; you can see it in that original MSNBC video. As she introduces him and mentions she doesn't know who he is, his eyes go black like a Great White Shark. :lol: From that point onward it was game over for them. He's amusing to listen to but a lot of the stuff he prattles off about is pseudo-intellectual mumbo-jumbo about popular cultural figures -- there's nothing really that fresh or daring about bringing up Jesus, Che Guevara or Mother Teresa and pointing out that they've been misappropriated, y'know? It would be more interesting to see him go up against someone like Chris Hitchens (RIP) with that kind of rehearsed emptiness. Hitchens probably would have agreed with a lot of Brand's ideas but also would have been quick to expand more on them and point out how empty Brand's reasoning often is, like he sort of picks up on stuff and because of his quick-thinking ways is able to make what he's saying sound more poignant than it really is.

But I still like him and the interview was highly entertaining because he is very quick-witted.

Guest Len B'stard

He's a clever, witty guy, and I used to be more of a fan, but he really kind of sold out and went full-on Hollywood for a while. The way he ditched his show post-Sachsgate was like he used it as a convenient 'get out of jail free' card, because by that point it was abundantly clear he wanted to get out of London.

As much as I do like him, he is a narcissist; you can see it in that original MSNBC video. As she introduces him and mentions she doesn't know who he is, his eyes go black like a Great White Shark. :lol: From that point onward it was game over for them. He's amusing to listen to but a lot of the stuff he prattles off about is pseudo-intellectual mumbo-jumbo about popular cultural figures -- there's nothing really that fresh or daring about bringing up Jesus, Che Guevara or Mother Teresa and pointing out that they've been misappropriated, y'know? It would be more interesting to see him go up against someone like Chris Hitchens (RIP) with that kind of rehearsed emptiness. Hitchens probably would have agreed with a lot of Brand's ideas but also would have been quick to expand more on them and point out how empty Brand's reasoning often is, like he sort of picks up on stuff and because of his quick-thinking ways is able to make what he's saying sound more poignant than it really is.

But I still like him and the interview was highly entertaining because he is very quick-witted.

You can't really have a pop at someone whoose basically a TV comedian for not having the intellectual weight of Noel Coward or whatever though, can you? But as the subjects of glossy mag shoots go he's highly intelligent. You gotta compare people with their peers, people in their field otherwise its just silliness.

• 2 weeks later...