Todd Kerns answers about performing UYI material with Slash.

Nosaj Thing

This is from his website:

Q: In reference to the GNR material on this tour, obviously you guys have mainly done songs from Appetite but I was wondering if there was a reason (technical, legal, or otherwise) that Slash decided not to do songs from the other albums when we've heard Myles do Civil War, Patience, etc. in the past? (Basically looking for some Don't Cry over here.)

A: Just like myself Slash naturally gravitates to the raw energy of the material on Appetite. Songs from the two Illusions albums get tossed around a lot but we haven't really sunk our teeth into them just yet. There is a wealth of material to draw from and I'm sure as time rolls on more and more of those songs will present themselves

__

I do hope that's true, would love to hear some UYI songs performed in the near future.

I completely understand why they stick mainly to Appetite. 1, its because the show isn't a GNR show. So he's going to throw in GNR songs and they'll be the ones people WANT to hear. Which is mainly Appetite. Its like, why clutter the set with UYI that people may or may not know when Slash has his own solo stuff he could fill it with that people probably have heard recently.

Or its that Appetite is so naturally Slash, whereas we all know Illusion is a mesh of all of their styles. Don't get me wrong, I love both albums, and to see Slash play Right Next Door To Hell, Perfect Crime, Bad Obsession, Dead Horse, Bad Apples, Get In The Ring, Locomotive would be amazing. I just think he's not as closely related with those albums so he doesn't immediately see the need to play them. The fact that only Civil War has been played is a good indicator of that. He's played ALOT of material in the last 3 years and thats the ONLY song from Illusion. Its definitely not as raw, and then the songs I named that are rock out are very much Axl based as well. Its hard to sing Right Next Door to Hell or Dead Horse.

Of course I'd like to see more Illusion at Slash shows. I'd love to see him play that material. But I understand why its not there and I'm not really surprised or particularly asking for it at a Slash show. What he plays now is fine. BTW, its very similar to how Axl for awhile didn't play more than 4 Illusion songs or so, and that would usually include the two covers.

Slash doesn't like to play songs written by other people. I mean "Double Talkin' Jive" was rehearsed but it's an Izzy's song so... :no:
Same for "Pretty Tied Up" !
He is much more into "Appetite" cause the band was really "a band" back then.
I remember asking him about "Locomotive", he replied gently: "no way" but Frank Sidoris (his rythm guitarist) said he'd love to play it live. rock4
Forget about "November Rain" and piano songs too. :cry:

I mean "Double Talkin' Jive" was rehearsed

Are you serious? Tell us more about it!

yup, you know, they tried many other songs among unreleased materiel like riffs and ideas for the upcoming album during soundchecks. rock3

I remember on the last european tour, Slash would love to add "Some City Ward" (Snakepit) to the setlist. Maybe they'll add it on the current US leg. Wait & See ! :awesomeface:

Both sides don't want to play Locomotive. Shame. I actually think New Guns and Slash And The Conspirators will do it justice.

Maybe Slash will do it if Jeff Beck will try again. Heh that would be awesome imo.

This is footage from Paris 92, it's Slash, Jeff Beck, Duff, Gilby, and Sorum playing the full instrumental of it.

Edited by Rovim

I'd like to hear them do "Serial Killer" from the 2nd Snakepit album. As far as UYI songs, Civil War, Don't Cry, Dust N' Bones, & Pretty Tied Up would be cool to hear. Less than a week & I'll be seeing Slash.

I heard him on a recent interview (can't remember where) but he said they worked up 3 new (old songs) to play for this upcoming run of shows which will be the last of the AL tour.

He said one was a track they haven't been playing from AL and the other 2 are older material (probably snakepit or VR). At least he is trying to keep the setlists fresh.

I heard him on a recent interview (can't remember where) but he said they worked up 3 new (old songs) to play for this upcoming run of shows which will be the last of the AL tour.

He said one was a track they haven't been playing from AL and the other 2 are older material (probably snakepit or VR). At least he is trying to keep the setlists fresh.

One of them is We Will Roam, confirmed by a french fan.

Plenty of raw energy on UYI material imo. I miss hearing Slash rocking the fuck out of those songs, even if it means hearing Myles singing them as well.

this

you could be mine could be horrible with Myles, but i really wanted to hear with Slash once more...

Other good stuffs are comin rock3

I´m old GNR fan, to me nothing compares Axl, Duff, Slash, Izzy, Steven and Matt in the past

But nowadays I don’t want to reunite anymore because I love Slash, Myles. In my point of view they have a great chemist and I really wish they do many good things together and one of this is play YCBM.