What's the concept of Chinese Democracy?

izzydoezit

thanks bacardimayne and amir for posting those pics... never read those before, and think of it what you will, but if i had went to that extent and wanted that included with my very largely anticipated album, and it wasnt ? well... id be pretty fuckin pissed too and wouldnt wanna release another album with that label EVER !

Supposedly that was the first draft. There was a typoless draft of the booklet we got too I think. But once the label got paid they just dropped the ball and management tried to get a reunion tour with VH.

To me this booklet looks like 2002 era?

it would cool if CD II was the Grenade cover and CDIII was the Hand.

stephanie seymour and slash. if you think axl has deeper thoughts than that, you're probably delusional.

You didn't read the booklet, then? Too long for you? Or just too many long words?

this pathetic behavior should be taken care of by the mods. it's an insult like any other, only difference is the lack of f words. it's a passive aggressive and coward way of insulting, but in his head SM thinks he's a smartass and must be proud of himself. pathetic really.

stephanie seymour and slash. if you think axl has deeper thoughts than that, you're probably delusional.

You didn't read the booklet, then? Too long for you? Or just too many long words?

this pathetic behavior should be taken care of by the mods. it's an insult like any other, only difference is the lack of f words. it's a passive aggressive and coward way of insulting, but in his head SM thinks he's a smartass and must be proud of himself. pathetic really.

Haha. Come on. In this very thread we had proof that Axl had thoughts on such varied topics as liberty, censorship, tyranny, police states, democracy, international politics, human rights and individual freedom yet in came our own favorite (and former) cupcake mascot with his hilarious opinion that Axl didn't have deeper thoughts than those covered by former lovers and friends. Trolling can be fun, trolling can be interesting, maynard succeeded at neither.

Those unpublished album booklets are fucking crazy. No, really, they read like the ramblings of a mentally ill person.

Yeah, it's sad. The guy lost it. I feel sorry for him.

It's too bad he's gotten rid of anyone who would have the balls to say, "Hey, Axl, you might wanna check yourself, cuz you're out of your fucking head."

Those unpublished album booklets are fucking crazy. No, really, they read like the ramblings of a mentally ill person.

Yeah, it's sad. The guy lost it. I feel sorry for him.

It's too bad he's gotten rid of anyone who would have the balls to say, "Hey, Axl, you might wanna check yourself, cuz you're out of your fucking head."

The only people who would do that and Axl would take seriously is the Lebies family.

originalgnrnewgnr, on 09 Jul 2013 - 4:32 PM, said:

SoulMonster, on 09 Jul 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

maynard, on 08 Jul 2013 - 6:57 PM, said:

Interesting 4th post. I think that comment was an inside joke for the guy/gal who has written "Too long, didn't read". I hope these fights are in good fun anyway. Can't we all be (gulp) friends?!

I had a friend who lived in China tell me that his people are led to believe their vote is counted in certain elections but the winner is known long before. I think CD (title alone) presaged the coming of the Chinese rule which could mean soon we will be living in a Chinese Democracy before them! Just a thought.

• Like 1

Holy.

Shit.

This actually explains more about Axl Rose than ANYTHING else he's ever done, from a psychological perspective. This man is absolutely mentally ill.

Yeah. And he wonders why the label didnt want anything to do with it.

Holy.

Shit.

This actually explains more about Axl Rose than ANYTHING else he's ever done, from a psychological perspective. This man is absolutely mentally ill.

Yeah. And he wonders why the label didnt want anything to do with it. And people think this dumbass is some sort of genius.

• 5 months later...

I can definitely see why Axl got screwed over on the CD booklet. I doubt there was ever any intention of printing what he intended.

I wonder to what extent it would have changed perception of the album and songs if it was released with his letter.

Our democracy is written in Chinese

Axl did say that the reason CD exists is to fight against dictators. When you look at it each song is taking a stand. Some are really obvious, Chi dem, Riad, some it's more righteousness thing like SOD and Madagascar. Or it has kind of a mourning vibe on Sorry, TWAT, Prostitute. It's like why are people like this, I have to move on.

It's kind of a protest album, a geo-political break-up album.

• Like 2

Axl did say that the reason CD exists is to fight against dictators. When you look at it each song is taking a stand. Some are really obvious, Chi dem, Riad, some it's more righteousness thing like SOD and Madagascar. Or it has kind of a mourning vibe on Sorry, TWAT, Prostitute. It's like why are people like this, I have to move on.

I've always had a thing for geo-political break-up rock. Its an all too often overlooked genre.

I've always had a thing for geo-political break-up rock. Its an all too often overlooked genre.

Bono does a similar thing sometimes, you can't tell if he's talking to god or is it about sex.

The meaning has always been obvious to me, even though I could be wrong.

Guns N Roses are now a Chinese Democracy/dictatorship.

It's Axl's way of saying he's won and stands unopposed because he is unopposable.

I can't see that at all. If anything, just the opposite

He certainly doesn't sound like he thinks he's unopposed on the record. Sounds like he sees/feels/hears opposition on all sides. Like he's fighting a war on all fronts- internally and externally.

CD seems more about pain, loss, and betrayal to me

Edited by Mr. Dude

The meaning has always been obvious to me, even though I could be wrong.

Guns N Roses are now a Chinese Democracy/dictatorship.

It's Axl's way of saying he's won and stands unopposed because he is unopposable.

I can't see that at all. If anything, just the opposite

He certainly doesn't sound like he thinks he's unopposed on the record. Sounds like he sees/feels/hears opposition on all sides. Like he's fighting a war on all fronts- internally and externally.

CD seems more about pain, loss, and betrayal to me

It's very Axl isn't it, people called him a dictator when he feels like an advocate of freedom (chinese democracy aka freedom) he then does an album about opposing dictators. He won't give in, be stopped, he'll out wait anyone, he doesn't give a fuck because he's crazy, now he's realized he won't get fooled again etc.

I guess it's possible once you get money and fame, freedom becomes very important. If you've got all this money but can't get a guitar player to play a decent solo or find a drummer who can keep time it's all pretty redundant.

I think one article said Axl kind of ran away from his hometown, got famous, he's been circling the globe for decades. it's the dictators either personally or regimes that ruin lives. Maybe that's why he made the record in part. It's kind of been a theme to our times, the iraq wars etc.

Maybe it's half dictators, half betrayal

Chi dem - dictators, about the band and more of political rant at end

Shackler's - dictators, its like Catcher Axl is playing the shooter then in the chorus its his reply to the media that said it was his song that caused it.

Better - betrayal, anthem of the betrayed

SOD - betrayal I guess. he doesn't get why that person betrayed themselves?

ITW - it's a love song? kind of a non of this actually matters

TWAT - kind of about being over the betrayal or dictators

Catcher - dictators, opinion leaders etc.

Scraped - media as dictators

Riad - is a petty dictator

Sorry - goading dictators

IRS - betrayal rant

Madagascar - saying no to dictators

TIL - Betrayal, Love

Prostitute - betrayal and dictators

It's like someone else posted: War, Love & Hate.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 2

Anyone who's been to China as a tourist including myself will tell you that this fear that Axl is talking about is a load of horse shit.

that's true, increasingly so. but at first impression, in comparison with other places it does feel a bit controlled. they like a uniform. but actually those guys are just security guards. but very little fear, in fact they are a rabble or spitting, rib binging, massage parlor hedonists. maybe though an Axl Rose type figure couldn't exist. Maybe songs like Mr Brownstone, Civil War would be banned.

- fuck slash

- i miss her:(

- no freeduhm in china, fight the power I guess?

CD isn't any more (or less) rich in concept or in some trackable narrative than your typical rock album. I think AFD is only GNR record that gets through an image of specific time,place and world view.

For reasons not entirely clear to me, I like to imagine message on the wall in China used to read " fuck Guns N' Roses" but the fuck got covered by a Bon Jovi poster.

Edited by LTD

Anyone who's been to China as a tourist including myself will tell you that this fear that Axl is talking about is a load of horse shit.

that's true, increasingly so. but at first impression, in comparison with other places it does feel a bit controlled. they like a uniform. but actually those guys are just security guards. but very little fear, in fact they are a rabble or spitting, rib binging, massage parlor hedonists. maybe though an Axl Rose type figure couldn't exist. Maybe songs like Mr Brownstone, Civil War would be banned.

Thousands of years with a dictatorship. Maybe they just got used to being controlled, to the lack of democracy and total freedom that the fear was replaced with just dealing with it and trying to make the best of it, but I don't know. Never been there so I have no idea.

Edited by Rovim