Axl should have recorded Gilby's 'Cure Me Or Kill Me' and replaced 'Chinese Democracy' as the opening track from the aborted late 90s album.

BBA

In the 90s, Gilby was fired by Axl because he didn't feel as though his writing contributions were up to par. With that said, Gilby's 'Cure Me Or Kill Me' is a MUCH better opening track than 'Chinese Democracy. Axl should have put vocals on Gilby's 'Cure Me' and left 'Chinese' as a B-side that was destined never to be heard. I think it would have been a great track to kick off the aborted '96 album with. Always thought of it as being in the same vein as 'You Could Be Mine' for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUeNo8gltKo

Edited by BBA

It's not that good of a song imo. It's ok, but has a short shelf life to me. Gets old pretty fast.

That album was solid though. I still don't think Gilby is a great songwriter, and wasn't good enough to be a writing member in Guns. Not good enough to replace Izzy.

Edited by Rovim

Not good enough to replace Izzy.

Completely agree. But good enough to replace anybody in Axl's current lineup.

If you're talking about guitarists, which I'm guessing you are, then I don't know. I'd like to hear what Fortus can do as a songwriter for new Guns.

If you're talking about guitarists, which I'm guessing you are, then I don't know. I'd like to hear what Fortus can do as a songwriter for new Guns.

Like Howard Stern said last year during his interview with Slash, "just because somebody can play an instrument doesn't mean that they can write music".

That should be pretty common sense.

Like Howard Stern said last year during his interview with Slash, "just because somebody can play an instrument doesn't mean that they can write music".

That should be pretty common sense.

Right, so I'm saying I'd like to hear if Fortus can write a good enough song for new Gn'R.

Only then will I be able to compare him as a songwriter to Gilby, Izzy, or whatever.

I'm a fan of Better, but before I heard it I didn't know if Robin was a capable songwriter or not (in new Guns) or at least I didn't know enough to compare him to others that were in Guns.

Edited by Rovim

I think if Slash agreed to play TIL and Catcher and use Snakepit songs and Izzy solo songs. You could easily have a record. They just were not prolific enough to do both.

Edited by wasted

I think if Slash agreed to play TIL and Catcher and use Snakepit songs and Izzy solo songs. You could easily have a record. They just were not prolific enough to do both.

Duff's first solo offering had some decent hooks here and there in some of the songs. Most of the songs were "so-so" but they all had some part in them that had a cool melody or change-up that could've been added to the stuff you listed above.

Man In The Meadow is prob the best Duff song out there, including the GNR and Loaded stuff. Believe In Me could have been a great song with some additional input from the other guys to make up for a couple mediocre parts in the song.

Duff's first solo offering had some decent hooks here and there in some of the songs. Most of the songs were "so-so" but they all had some part in them that had a cool melody or change-up that could've been added to the stuff you listed above.

Man In The Meadow is prob the best Duff song out there, including the GNR and Loaded stuff. Believe In Me could have been a great song with some additional input from the other guys to make up for a couple mediocre parts in the song.

I have a bootleg cd called The GNR Family which is a few solo offerings and Oh My God. Kill me or Cure Me, Believe in Me, Trouble with Axl and Bach, some Slash Snakepit songs and November Rain. Another song called Just Not There. and Give in to me MJ and Slash. some how that cd made sense.

Add to that some Izzy songs off Ju Ju Hounds, Shuffle It All and Pressure Drop could of worked as a cover.

Edited by wasted

I like Gilby's first two albums. Not Darkside of the Moon or Led Zeppelin IV by any means- but all in all fairly listenable. I think it's fairly obvious/transparent that the "Gilby's not a strong enough writer" thing was essentially a "front" for Axl wanting to write with his trusted friend from Indiana (Paul Tobias) as opposed to the guy Slash and Duff hired for the UYI tour (Gilby)... which from a band politics point of view (at that time)- I totally get. Also- Tobias is a strong song-writer IMHO (at least in the handful of songs we've seen him write for Guns through the years).

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

In the 90s, Gilby was fired by Axl because he didn't feel as though his writing contributions were up to par. With that said, Gilby's 'Cure Me Or Kill Me' is a MUCH better opening track than 'Chinese Democracy. Axl should have put vocals on Gilby's 'Cure Me' and left 'Chinese' as a B-side that was destined never to be heard. I think it would have been a great track to kick off the aborted '96 album with. Always thought of it as being in the same vein as 'You Could Be Mine' for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUeNo8gltKo

Axl should hire you to manage him. If he did that GnR would have outsold the Beatles.

I think Axl's words were, 'I cannot write with the guy'.

The interesting thing is, he was recording that album on the Illusion tour (rather than keep riffs back for the next GN'R album). I think Gilby had a fairly good idea that he was going to get thrown out. Or at least that the chances of a Gilby written song were miminal. The reason I say that is if I was Gilby and I had written the Cure Me riff I would have immediately filed it under 'Guns N' Roses'. With the greatest respect to Gilby's potential as a solo artist, that riff is really too good to be on a solo side thing and, it would have made 'Clarke' a lot more money as a GN'R song.

But Duff had been doing a solo thing as well. He was obviously not prioritising gnr. It sort of is the end, when bands start doing the solo projects, Lennon doing avant garde records with Yoko and Ringo doing films. That is the end.