Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

While myself and others have speculated that Robin would provisionally assume the role of Batman while Bruce Wayne took a leave of absence:

scarlett-johansson-stars-don-jon-the-deb

I've actually read in the last ten minutes that Goyer is rebooting Batman. He is reported to have said that his and Snyder's universe will be entirely separate to Nolan's, which in my opinion is a big mistake. If they could consolidate Nolan's story into Snyder's it had potential.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new Green Lantern.

Thankfully Ryan Reynolds ruled himself out of future participation.

Is there anything to suggest that Nolan is involved with this movie at all? Some people are talking like it's a given, but I wouldn't be surprised if his involvement with this is light at best.

I'll never understand the Joseph Gordon-Levitt love that seemed to pop up all of a sudden the past few years.

Here is the logo which Zack Snyder revealed during the Superman angle of Comic-Con in San Diego:

9cNLhGQ.jpg

Note; apparently it's not going to be a film of comradery between Batman and Superman. Snyder explicitly said that it would be Batman versus Superman. He also clearly made reference to a new Batman.

Is there anything to suggest that Nolan is involved with this movie at all? Some people are talking like it's a given, but I wouldn't be surprised if his involvement with this is light at best.

While I personally hoped this would be the case, it's not. He may have a producer credit, but ultimately this is going to be Snyder/Goyer's 'new' Batman. They're not going to integrate the universes.

I agree that The Dark Knight Rises sucked big time.

It did not suck big time. A film like The Green Lantern with Ryan Reynolds 'sucked big time'.

Shit I'd take 1997's Batman & Robin over the 2011 Green Lantern.

I'm not sure what age you are, but did you get to see that movie in your youth? Honestly, as a child, I was blown away by Schumacher's Batman attempts. I honestly think he made those movies for the toy industry (and many critics have made that observation). Now though, although graphically memorizing to a child, they're absolutely unbearable.

TDKR was a great ending to very successful Batman franchise.

It wasn't necessarily a great ending to the universe but it was certainly good and definitely not deserving of the negativity many associate with it. The story overall just couldn't compare to TDK (obviously).

I'm not sure what age you are, but did you get to see that movie in your youth? Honestly, as a child, I was blown away by Schumacher's Batman attempts. I honestly think he made those movies for the toy industry (and many critics have made that observation). Now though, although graphically memorizing to a child, they're absolutely unbearable.

I saw it in theaters and got a promo poster for seeing it on opening night. I was nine. I loved the movie back then.

I saw it in theaters and got a promo poster for seeing it on opening night. I was nine. I loved the movie back then.

Then my theory is proven. Honestly, even Schwarzenegger's Mr. Freeze, which I can now literally laugh at, was memorizing. Schumacher definitely had a knack for tapping into a child's imagination. I know that if I were to see Nolan's trilogy in my youth, I wouldn't get it.

NEXT DC SUPER HERO MOVIE IN PRE-PRODUCTION

Director Zack Snyder Unites Superman and Batman in One Explosive New Film

BURBANK, CA, July 20, 2013 – On the heels of the worldwide success of “Man of Steel,” director Zack Snyderis bringing together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time—Batman and Superman—for the first time on the big screen. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

The current hit, “Man of Steel,” has taken in more than $630 million at the worldwide box office to date, and climbing. Along with its star, Henry Cavill, the upcomingfilm brings back Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane. The new Batman has yet to be cast.

Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who will then pen the screenplay. Production is expected to begin in 2014, with an anticipated release date in Summer 2015.

Silverman stated, “Zack Snyder is an incredibly talented filmmaker, but beyond that, he’s a fan first and he utterly gets this genre. We could not think of anyone better suited to the task of bringing these iconic Super Heroes to the screen in his own way.” Kroll added, “We are thrilled to be back in business with Zack and his team on this next movie. The success of ‘Man of Steel’ is a wonderful testament to the love and support that both fans and new audiences, worldwide, have for these characters. We are very excited to see what Zack has in store for all of us.”

batman-superman-combo-header-1.jpg

Edited by NGOG

Zint, do you have Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns? They're going to use that creating this Superman/Batman concept. It would be a good read prior to the movie coming out.

TDKR was a good movie.

Not a great movie. But it did the franchise justice.

I agree with this. Perhaps not on the level of the two movies before it, but saying it sucked just seems like a huge exaggeration.

Add me to the agreement. As I said, The Green Lantern is something you would label as truly sucky as far as superhero movies.

Zakk Snyder is a hack. This will suck.

Man of Steel was definitely underwhelming. I don't get 300 at all but I did enjoy Watchmen. I don't see how you could really go wrong with a Batman/Superman when you consider all the materials available as well the enormous budget he will inevitably get.

Zint, do you have Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns? They're going to use that creating this Superman/Batman concept. It would be a good read prior to the movie coming out.

Any confirmation on this? I saw that they introduced the film with a quote from The Dark Knight Returns but most places have said it will not be an adaptation of it.

I will probably pick it up anyway as I have heard very good things about it.

Any confirmation on this? I saw that they introduced the film with a quote from The Dark Knight Returns but most places have said it will not be an adaptation of it.

As you said, it won't be a direct adaption. But Snyder/Goyer will be using that particular graphic novel to shape the film.

Will be interesting to see where they go with it, I thought Man Of Steel 2 would have been perfect to introduce Lex Luthor as the villain who wants to rid the world of Superman after the destruction of Metropolis in Man of Steel.

That was definitely the logical step. Everybody is baffled by to the decision to go straight to Superman/Batman. Surely that would have been a post-Justice League? You know, where Superman and Batman have enjoyed a brief comradey as part of a crimefighting dreamteam, and then strain descends on their relationship to the point of conflict.

Given the references to Luthorcorp in Man of Steel, you would imagine that he will still play a part in Superman/Batman (and maybe even be the instigator of the rivalry given Bruce Wayne's corporate affiliations).

LOL joseph gordon levitt

Snyder and Goyer have individually said that they do not intend to integrate Nolan's universe with their own and that this Batman will be entirely new. They're doing a reboot.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who Nolan may loosely have indicated would temporarily become Batman in his universe, is highly unlikely to be the caped crusader on that basis.