Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Yeah. But he's boring.

Have you read the graphic novels? Superman has the potential to be anything but boring if the makers develop his character fully. At least give Snyder a chance to put his Superman across before you label the Superman concept 'boring'.

The sole survivor of a now defunct civilization, guided through apparitions of his biological father, humanity's one hope against increasingly sophisicated evil. It's captivating.

Edited by NGOG

Yeah. But he's boring.

Have you read the graphic novels? Superman has the potential to be anything but boring if the makers develop his character fully. At least give Snyder a chance to put his Superman across before you label the Superman concept 'boring'

Even in the comics the only way to make Superman interesting is to revamp the character entirely(All Star Superman, Red Son) or change the rules (The Dark Knight Returns); two things that Goyer/Snyder have already shown they aren't capable of and, to be fair, is very hard to do in a live action film. I gave Snyder a chance to put his Superman across in Man of Steel and it was painfully fucking dull(in my opinion).

In the comic book medium you have time to present interesting, often ridiculous plots to set up a conflict between Superman and Batman. But even then it's made very clear that Batman has absolutely no chance of beating a guy that can incinerate him just by looking his way. In a blockbuster movie this just isn't going to work.

Goyer/Snyder have already shown they aren't capable of (it). I gave Snyder a chance to put his Superman across in Man of Steel and it was painfully fucking dull(in my opinion).

But even then it's made very clear that Batman has absolutely no chance of beating a guy that can incinerate him just by looking his way.

I don't approve of directors using artistic licence elaborately during the origins part of their universe. When they've laid out the foundations of their universe (in a way that strongly compliments the materials), only then should they begin to give their character its own identity. Man of Steel didn't ignite any real sense of enthusiasm for me personally, but I would give Snyder at least another film before I would shut the door on his interpretation of Superman.

It just doesn't have to be the two pitting their powers against one another in a really traditional way though. Use the analogy of modern day war against the ground wars of history. No longer is it necessary to pit one man against another as the most efficient way to win a war; technology and diplomacy are the more lucrative option. Clearly while Superman would rely on natural ability in any fight between he and another superhero, somebody like Batman is going to consult Wayne Enterprise and his own mental strength. Surely it's not going to just be the two flying out to a meeting point and engaging in futile combat. It mighn't necessarily be a fight triggered by differing superheros either, perhaps Wayne gets to Superman by wooing Lois Lane, or taking a financial interest in the agency Clark works for as a journalist.

Zint, do you have Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns? They're going to use that creating this Superman/Batman concept. It would be a good read prior to the movie coming out.

It was the series that got me back in to comics.

I have the original first print individual releases and the first print collected graphic novel.

I have the framed poster and the 3D plastic display.

Been reading a bit more about this movie and I'm stoked for it!

this movie is going to be shit

What makes you say that? Snyder, Man of Steel or the Batman angle?

Combination of the three to be honest, Man of Steel was passable at best and a better direct would have made a better film and shoehorning Batman into the sequel just screams of panicking and rushing a Justice League movie.

Combination of the three to be honest, Man of Steel was passable at best and a better direct would have made a better film and shoehorning Batman into the sequel just screams of panicking and rushing a Justice League movie.

So at this point, you're already expecting flat out bad? Artistically I'm not a huge fan of Snyder, but I'm endeared by his genuine interest in the Superman character. With Man of Steel, he appeased the comic book fans by doing a good origins, but he also catered to the fact it was a summer blockbuster by filling it with over the top action. With Man of Steel 2, he has a similar pickle. Clearly Snyder wants to be the one in charge of DC's version of The Avengers, but at the same time he's a Superman fan that wants to tell the Superman story. Man of Steel 2 is likely to contain a strong Luthor angle (and again that will please the comic community), but it will also consider its own status as a second summer blockbuster/as well as Snyder's aspirations to do a Justice League, hence the dilution of the mundane Superman story through the inclusion of Batman. Therefore you're probably looking at another mixed bag.

That was the real quality about Christopher Nolan's approach. He didn't care about his own professional future and at times wasn't event committeed to the next installment, he just wanted to do Batman justice.

Edited by NGOG

just screams of panicking and rushing a Justice League movie.

Although really, that movie should've been out ages ago. Considering how long those characters and that team's been around, a JL movie for the first time in this day and age is just flat out ridiculous.

Although really, that movie should've been out ages ago. Considering how long those characters and that team's been around, a JL movie for the first time in this day and age is just flat out ridiculous.

Surely the same can be said of a Superman with a Batman angle? None of these things have managed to happen historically because you didn't have a definitive Batman pre-Nolan. Nor did you have any inter-relationships between Batman and Superman because chronologically and stylistically they were so far apart. How could you possibly reconcile the themes of Reeve's Superman with Burton or Schumacher's Batman? Through Nolan's triology however and his continued involvement in the DC universe by adopting a producing role in Snyder's Superman; as well as Goyer having written in the context of both superheros, expansion is plausible.

It's also interesting to note that Nolan will reprise his producing role in Man of Steel 2, therefore you can't at this stage definitively rule out Joseph Gordon-Levitt becoming the caped crusader.

Surely the same can be said of a Superman with a Batman angle? None of these things have managed to happen historically because you didn't have a definitive Batman pre-Nolan. Nor did you have any inter-relationships between Batman and Superman because chronologically and stylistically they were so far apart. How could you possibly reconcile the themes of Reeve's Superman with Burton or Schumacher's Batman? Through Nolan's triology however and his continued involvement in the DC universe by adopting a producing role in Snyder's Superman; as well as Goyer having written in the context of both superheros, expansion is plausible.

It's also interesting to note that Nolan will reprise his producing role in Man of Steel 2, therefore you can't at this stage definitively rule out Joseph Gordon-Levitt becoming the caped crusader.

That would be a wise move! I am one that hopes Blake is Batman.

fanboys gonna rage if it's not Bruce Wayne though...

I would like to see Snyder's 'new' Batman be the 'new' Batman who possibly concluded TDKR, Robin. It would be a poignant handing over of the DC torch from Nolan to Snyder.

If they do a 'new' Batman, meaning an unconditional reboot of Bruce Wayne, I think that would be unfortunate and unnecessary. It doesn't seem likely either from a political angle given Nolan's contributions as a producer.

fanboys gonna rage if it's not Bruce Wayne though...

I would like to see Snyder's 'new' Batman be the 'new' Batman who possibly concluded TDKR, Robin. It would be a poignant handing over of the DC torch from Nolan to Snyder.

If they do a 'new' Batman, meaning an unconditional reboot of Bruce Wayne, I think that would be unfortunate and unnecessary. It doesn't seem likely either from a political angle given Nolan's contributions as a producer.

To be honest I think there's absolutely no chance they use Nolan's Batman/Robin. Nolan finished his story and my guess is he'd probably like to keep it that way.

"I want you to remember, Clark, in all the years to come," read Harry Lennox, before an image of the Superman logo and the Batman symbol flashed on the screen.

"In your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."

For anybody that's read Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, you will be able to recognize that Batman comes out of retirement. Therefore, rather than merely being a continuation of where Nolan left off with a temporary Batman, it could instead be Wayne in his latter years. Superman on the other hand has become a tool of the federal government, and therefore maybe complacent.

The experience of Bruce Wayne against Superman's relative naivety gives Batman a greater advantage.

Snyder's announcement, the Frank Miller snippet courtesy of Henry Lennox, as well as the amazing crowd reaction can now all be viewed here: http://www.slashfilm.com/watch-zack-snyders-announcement-of-the-batmansuperman-crossover-film/

It was speculated that this sequel could be called The World's Finest, but Davd Goyer has given two possible titles to Man of Steel 2 (which as you will see aren't all that far apart):

Batman Vs. Superman

Superman Vs. Batman

Surely as a sequel to Man of Steel it should be called Superman Vs. Batman, otherwise Batman Vs. Superman sounds like Batman is the main character.

I would prefer it be called Man of Steel 2 so as you say, it keeps a distinct Superman identity rather than veering into Batman territory.

There is probably some semantic amongst the producers which is causing this debate. Maybe they are trying to say that Batman will be the instigator, but ultimately Superman will prevail? Again it looks like they are setting up a moneygrab to please the studio and give Snyder his Justice League.

The odds on who will play Batman in Man of Steel 2:

3/1 Joseph Gordon-Levitt

10/1 Ryan Gosling

10/1 Chris Pine

10/1 Jake Gyllenhaal

11/1 Channing Tatum

12/1 Christian Bale

14/1 Bradley Cooper

14/1 Armie Hammer

16/1 Josh Brolin

18/1 Jon Hamm

20/1 Gerard Butler

25/1 Michael Fassbender

40/1 Brad Pitt

40/1 Tom Cruise

100/1 Hugh Jackman

The latest rumour is that Batman Vs. Superman will be shot in Toronto. Maybe some of our resident Canadians could report exclusively from shooting?

Also, Henry Cavill has finally had the confidence to say something when asked about Snyder's Superman (he usually averts saying anything interesting). He's confirmed that in Man of Steel 2, Lois Lane will be aware of Clark Kent's true identity.

The latest rumour is that Batman Vs. Superman will be shot in Toronto. Maybe some of our resident Canadians could report exclusively from shooting?

Also, Henry Cavill has finally had the confidence to say something when asked about Snyder's Superman (he usually averts saying anything interesting). He's confirmed that in Man of Steel 2, Lois Lane will be aware of Clark Kent's true identity.

Thought the Lois knowing who he was would be obvious bearing in mind she ends up at the Kent Farm and he reveals himself to her while she is at his fathers grave.

Thought the Lois knowing who he was would be obvious bearing in mind she ends up at the Kent Farm and he reveals himself to her while she is at his fathers grave.
Aren't you aware that greasing your hair to the side and wearing thick spectacles makes you indentifiable? :lol: