Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Will be interesting to see where they go with it, I thought Man Of Steel 2 would have been perfect to introduce Lex Luthor as the villain who wants to rid the world of Superman after the destruction of Metropolis in Man of Steel.

That was definitely the logical step. Everybody is baffled by to the decision to go straight to Superman/Batman. Surely that would have been a post-Justice League? You know, where Superman and Batman have enjoyed a brief comradey as part of a crimefighting dreamteam, and then strain descends on their relationship to the point of conflict.

Given the references to Luthorcorp in Man of Steel, you would imagine that he will still play a part in Superman/Batman (and maybe even be the instigator of the rivalry given Bruce Wayne's corporate affiliations).

I think they need both Wayne and Luthor in the film for it to work, substituting Wayne for Luthor just wouldn't really make sense to me and comes across like cutting corners.

We might even seen Superman Vs Batman at the beginning and then they come together to fight Luthor setting the foundation for the Justice League as the finale.

Edited by Tottenham Hotspur

Will be interesting to see where they go with it, I thought Man Of Steel 2 would have been perfect to introduce Lex Luthor as the villain who wants to rid the world of Superman after the destruction of Metropolis in Man of Steel.

That was definitely the logical step. Everybody is baffled by to the decision to go straight to Superman/Batman. Surely that would have been a post-Justice League? You know, where Superman and Batman have enjoyed a brief comradey as part of a crimefighting dreamteam, and then strain descends on their relationship to the point of conflict.

Given the references to Luthorcorp in Man of Steel, you would imagine that he will still play a part in Superman/Batman (and maybe even be the instigator of the rivalry given Bruce Wayne's corporate affiliations).

I think they need both Wayne and Luthor in the film for it to work, substituting Wayne for Luthor just wouldn't really make sense to me and comes across like cutting corners.

We might even seen Superman Vs Batman at the beginning and then they come together to fight Luthor setting the foundation for the Justice League as the finale.

Have you seen the animated series which includes Superman, Batman, Luthor and The Joker all operating within a vicious cycle? That would be great if they could do something along those lines.

I'm not sure about the first formal resistance to Luthor being the Justice League. At the end of the day he is a villain who is specific to the Superman universe. Surely Superman should firstly tackle Luthor alone before doing it as part of a tandem of superheros?

I don't mean the Justice League twke down Luthor but that Batman and Superman take him down after settling their differences in the film and then after Luthor is taken down they form a formal alliance which later goes on to become the Justice League.

I don't mean the Justice League twke down Luthor but that Batman and Superman take him down after settling their differences in the film and then after Luthor is taken down they form a formal alliance which later goes on to become the Justice League.

I respect your angle, but I would honestly prefer that Superman successfully or unsuccessfully finds a way himself to overcome Luthor. Luthor being defeated by a Superman/Batman alliance would also make it difficult to immediately reintroduce the villain of Luthor (and he is a Superman character that needs to, at least initially, appear repeatedly as the thorn that he is).

Ultimately I am saying that a second Man of Steel should have been on the cards first in order to introduce the volatile relationship between Superman and Lex Luthor. This would have given Superman an opportunity to measure the ability of Luthor. It's almost as it Snyder is copping out slightly; he knows a story revolving around Luthor isn't the glitzy film Hollywood desires, even if it is the option which has most integrity.

I respect your angle, but I would honestly prefer that Superman successfully or unsuccessfully finds a way himself to overcome Luthor. Luthor being defeated by a Superman/Batman alliance would also make it difficult to immediately reintroduce the villain of Luthor (and he is a Superman character that needs to, at least initially, appear repeatedly as the thorn that he is).

Ultimately I am saying that a second Man of Steel should have been on the cards first in order to introduce the volatile relationship between Superman and Lex Luthor. This would have given Superman an opportunity to measure the ability of Luthor. It's almost as it Snyder is copping out slightly; he knows a story revolving around Luthor isn't the glitzy film Hollywood desires, even if it is the option which has most integrity.

Agreed, feels like DC are trying to rush this through to get to the end goal of the Justice League but the quality will be compromised as a result rather than building a compelling universe through Man of Steel 2 and onwards like Marvel have managed to do.

LOL joseph gordon levitt

Snyder and Goyer have individually said that they do not intend to integrate Nolan's universe with their own and that this Batman will be entirely new. They're doing a reboot.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who Nolan may loosely have indicated would temporarily become Batman in his universe, is highly unlikely to be the caped crusader on that basis.

Another reboot? FFS.

I always wanted them to make a movie about Arkham Asylum.

When it comes to iconic comic book characters, it is hard to have the film be entertaining for people of all ages, and I'm sure the scriptwriters struggle with how.

Some people feel crossover stories are more about the cash grab (or ratings if it's television) than the storyline.

They probably have their short list on who the next Batman will be if they're making the announcement for this film.

I think a few years back I would have been salivating over this project, but I honestly can't even say I'm excited for this.

Zack Snyder is just a frustratingly inconsistent director, imo. I thought moments of Man of Steel were brilliant, but then there were long stretches of mediocrity and the hourlong finale of endless fights just became tiresome and incoherent; not to mention they lacked suspense altogether (just two seemingly invincible figures constantly pummeling each other and colliding into buildings and blowing shit up). If a better filmmaker were at the helm, I'd be hyped for this, but I just don't see him pulling it off -- it'll probably be another OK movie with moments of greatness mired by too much witless action spectacle.

I also think it's a lot easier to put Batman and Superman in a comic book, than in a film where the realism is more consistent and tangible. How are you gonna match Superman's powers -- flight, near-invincibility, superhuman strength, laser eyesight -- with Bruce Wayne, a rich guy who can fight pretty well and dresses up as a bat? Nolan's movies worked because they were grounded; Burton's first two flicks were good because despite the stylistic excess Batman was still a human; I just can't picture Superman and Batman in the same universe on film, and not having it seem devoid of suspense or realism. Just picture Batman fighting Bane hand-to-hand, and then Superman swoops in and with one swift punch Bane is knocked the fuck out. Alternately, Superman is fighting a godlike supervillain like General Zod, and all Zod has to do is shoot Batman with a laser from his eyes and he's toast.

It's gonna be really hard to get that right on film. Especially since the last Batman movies were so well-regarded and audiences loved them -- they're going to walk into this not only with expectations about quality, but also with expectations about Batman and what he's capable of. It will be very jarring if the filmmakers immediately up the ante on Batman's powers and make him seem invincible -- I do believe a lot of audiences will be kind of confused and turned off. They have a big task to do this film right.

I always wanted them to make a movie about Arkham Asylum.

Some people feel crossover stories are more about the cash grab (or ratings if it's television) than the storyline.

They touched on Arkham Asylum quite heavily in Nolan's origins story. It's basically the stomping ground for Scarecrow to develop his formula by exploiting the inmates. In the written edition of TDKR it also said that Arkham was housing The Joker who is widely speculated to have escaped during Bane's liberation of Gotham prisons.

They clearly are. Obviously the money pushers behind Snyder's creative control want to top the figures achieved by Man of Steel instead of developing a universe with integrity. Snyder, as evidenced by things he said post-Man of Steel, is insecure about reprising his role in the future of Superman. I would say that has in part caused the skip to Superman/Batman. Clearly he wants to do a lot of things and fears that maybe a Man of Steel 2 could flop on the basis of a lack of glamour; thus reducing the possibility of Snyder realizing his great ambitions for the franchise.

If Bale does this movie, it would have to be done in such a way that people accept he is still Batman without it having any connection whatsoever to the Nolan universe. They're just not compatible.

It's just plain silly discussing Christian Bale doing Snyder's Batman because Snyder/Goyer have already said they're doing a 'new' Batman; both in the sense of having a different actor playing the role, and creating an entirely different Batman to that of Christopher Nolan's. There is also no way that Bale will do a Batman not completely moulded by Nolan.

To your point on realism, it's really a non-issue at this point given that Snyder/Goyer are rebooting Batman through Superman. They are not adopting Nolan's realism and clearly as you say given the level of power they portrayed in Man of Steel, will have to capture Batman in a similar light. They will have to create a more futuristic, immortal Batman without losing the reality that Batman is the product of a psychologically disturbed human being susceptible to human weakness.

Superman is a shitty superhero anyways, in terms of what you can do with his character.

He's just not that interesting.

How is a modern day Son of God type character not interesting? I'd imagine that under Snyder he won't be the squeaky clean poster boy he's been in popular culture. He'll experience tribulations.

Taking superheros to Hollywood is always going to be limited given that you have to adhere to the comics to some extent. The story is written basically, all you can do is piece together the most entertaining bits but in a way that has to be respectful of the material.

I think all they are trying to do is compete with Marvel. If a Justice

League movie is what is in the works, introduce more DC characters. It would of been awesome to see Wonder Woman and The Flash in the next flick. Even for a cameo. Then come out with their own individual movies. And maybe on the last Superman movie introduce the new Batman. Then finally do JL movie.

Superman is a shitty superhero anyways, in terms of what you can do with his character.

How is a modern day Son of God type character not interesting? I'd imagine that under Snyder he won't be the squeaky clean poster boy he's been in popular culture. He'll experience tribulations.

Taking superheros to Hollywood is always going to be limited given that you have to adhere to the comics to some extent. The story is written basically, all you can do is piece together the most entertaining bits but in a way that has to be respectful of the material.

He's invincible and all powerful.

Kindof lame.

He's invincible and all powerful.

Kindof lame.

Being exposed to humanity will inevitably weaken his resolve and power.

He's got more super powers than Batman, I can tell you that much.

Yeah. But he's boring.