Worst GN'R Original Song? (Apart From My World)

seely

Hmmm..

AFD

Doesn't have any actual bad songs. But Think About You isn't that special and the 3rd verse of My Michelle is a bit cringy.

Lies

Not a poor track on it. But the least good is probablt Reckless Life. Still good though.

UYI1

You Ain't The First is easily the weakest track on it. Probably also the only weak one. The rest sometimes feels a bit off, but that's more because it's either been overplayed or because the album overall isn't that coherent. Somehow I feel UYI would be even better as 3 more coherent, shorter albums.

UYI2

Obviously My World. But other than that Get In The Ring isn't that strong. It serves it's purpose, but it's far from brilliant. I'd also wish they'd have ended Breakdown better. The song is amazing, but the ending is a total bummer. I've never been that big a fan of the KOHD studio version either. The phonecall and all... pointless. The live version is infinitely better. I wish they'd made the studio version more like it. So Fine is far from brilliant too and the alternate Don't Cry is just plain redundant.

Again, I think the UYI's would make SO much more sense as 3 compacter more balanced records. Take the faster ass-kicking rock songs off UYI 1 and 2 and you'd have another AFD. Then put together some of the epics for a more complex record. And maybe there's a few that just won't fit. We'll see about those.

TSI

Strangely consistent, except that Since I Don't Have You makes me cringe. Utter crap. Look At Your Game Girl is crap too. But the stuff in between those is quite good actually.

CD

Aside from the many overall complaints I have I think TIL is horrible, Scraped is pure filler (not to mention total crap) and Shacklers just isn't my thing. Never been too sure about Better either. It's not bad, but I don't get the fuss. There are much better tracks on it. Never cared for Sorry either. SOD is good, but 2001 The Blues was SO much better...

Interesting idea about rearranging the UYI's as 3 shorter albums. If it were up to you, how would you organize the tracklists?

In other news, apparently I'm like the only person in the world who doesn't hate Shotgun Blues :shrugs:

Interesting idea about rearranging the UYI's as 3 shorter albums. If it were up to you, how would you organize the tracklists?

Tough call! Let's say we'd have to divide them into regular shorter albums of 10 tracks max... So basically we'd have to divide it into 2 (leaving some tracks off completely) or 3 smaller albums.

....new thread?

Tough call! Let's say we'd have to divide them into regular shorter albums of 10 tracks max... So basically we'd have to divide it into 2 (leaving some tracks off completely) or 3 smaller albums.

....new thread?

Yeah, this is interesting, I would participate in that.

....new thread?

Yeah, this is interesting, I would participate in that.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/205399-make-10-track-max-compact-versions-of-the-uyi-albums/

Edited by username

Hmmm..

AFD

Doesn't have any actual bad songs. But Think About You isn't that special and the 3rd verse of My Michelle is a bit cringy.

Lies

Not a poor track on it. But the least good is probablt Reckless Life. Still good though.

UYI1

You Ain't The First is easily the weakest track on it. Probably also the only weak one. The rest sometimes feels a bit off, but that's more because it's either been overplayed or because the album overall isn't that coherent. Somehow I feel UYI would be even better as 3 more coherent, shorter albums.

UYI2

Obviously My World. But other than that Get In The Ring isn't that strong. It serves it's purpose, but it's far from brilliant. I'd also wish they'd have ended Breakdown better. The song is amazing, but the ending is a total bummer. I've never been that big a fan of the KOHD studio version either. The phonecall and all... pointless. The live version is infinitely better. I wish they'd made the studio version more like it. So Fine is far from brilliant too and the alternate Don't Cry is just plain redundant.

Again, I think the UYI's would make SO much more sense as 3 compacter more balanced records. Take the faster ass-kicking rock songs off UYI 1 and 2 and you'd have another AFD. Then put together some of the epics for a more complex record. And maybe there's a few that just won't fit. We'll see about those.

TSI

Strangely consistent, except that Since I Don't Have You makes me cringe. Utter crap. Look At Your Game Girl is crap too. But the stuff in between those is quite good actually.

CD

Aside from the many overall complaints I have I think TIL is horrible, Scraped is pure filler (not to mention total crap) and Shacklers just isn't my thing. Never been too sure about Better either. It's not bad, but I don't get the fuss. There are much better tracks on it. Never cared for Sorry either. SOD is good, but 2001 The Blues was SO much better...

In other news, apparently I'm like the only person in the world who doesn't hate Shotgun Blues :shrugs:

I think having GNR Lies released in 1988 to give the band more time to focus on the new album fucked with the dynamic a bit. Perhaps without Lies a full album might have been released in 1989 and UYI would have been released in 1992. There are quite a few songs that were left over from the AFD writing sessions or written for UYI but before 1990. Putting them together this is what an album might have lloked like:

1. You Could Be Mine

2. Shadow of Your Love

3. Bad Obsession

4. Yesterdays

5. Back Off Bitch

6. Patience

7. Knockin' on Heaven's Door

-------------

8. Ain't Goin' Down

9. Perfect Crime

10. Don't Cry

11. Used to Love Her

12. November Rain

13. One in a Million

I used Ain't Goin' Down because it was actually officially released and it was played live once so there was some faith in that song even if it never made UYI. The GNR Lies songs would probably be electric. UYI songs would probably sound more raw: listen to any Don't Cry or KOHD from the 80s to hear what I'm talking about.

Then the new album would have the rest of the songs, but it would probably be a single album so some choices would have to be made. Duff contributed two of his songs (Get in the Ring and So Fine) and Izzy contributed four (DTJ, YATF, 14Y and DNB). I'm assuming the ones played live more would be the picks and each gets only half of them. Some other clearly inferior songs would be dropped. This is the result:

1. Pretty Tied Up

2. Right Next Door to Hell

3. Double Talkin' Jive

4. The Garden

5. Civil War

6. Dead Horse

7. Coma

----------

8. Garden of Eden

9. 14 Years

10. So Fine

11. Breakdown

12. Locomotive

13. Estranged

Edited by GivenToFly

Not even the worst songs IN UYI, AFD and TSI come close to the pure shitness that is Scraped. AAAYYOOO - i want to tell YOU you're stronger than they tell YOU *skip* AAYYYYOOOO YOU SOMETHING SOMETHING YOU *BBF playing random notes copied and pasted by Rose and Constanza in studio* AYY OOO I'm tired of using technolo- YOU...

• Like 2