Worst GN'R Original Song? (Apart From My World)

seely

Chinese Democracy - the song.

Why?

Because of the entire mystique and history behind it.

The lead single from the most anticipated album in rock history.

The song that announced to the world that Axl and his version of GnR was back.

A song that Axl apparently loves and has played live at every concert since 2000.

And the song that Axl thought was good enough to replace the greatest concert opening song of all time.

And imo, it is boring and clearly didn't impress the rock world at all.

The opening single had a lot of weight and expectations attached to it, and it's success or failure had a mammoth effect on how the public would respond to the entire album.

Better was the best choice.
Shackler's would have been the most fun choice and would have created a ton of buzz (sure, some negative) but people would have been talking.

Twat - I think even if people didn't like it, they would have respected that at least Axl "went for the masterpiece"

SOD - would have been a predictable choice, as it sounds like it could have been an Illusions song

But CD? I think most people thought it was a pretty boring song. You didn't hear people claiming to love it or hate it. Instead, it just drew shrugged shoulders and yawns.

Why?

A song that Axl apparently loves and has played live at every concert since 2000.

And the song that Axl thought was good enough to replace the greatest concert opening song of all time.

The opening single had a lot of weight and expectations attached to it, and it's success or failure had a mammoth effect on how the public would respond to the entire album.

Shackler's would have been the most fun choice and would have created a ton of buzz (sure, some negative) but people would have been talking.

Twat - I think even if people didn't like it, they would have respected that at least Axl "went for the masterpiece"

SOD - would have been a predictable choice, as it sounds like it could have been an Illusions song

But CD? I think most people thought it was a pretty boring song. You didn't hear people claiming to love it or hate it. Instead, it just drew shrugged shoulders and yawns.

I get that it wasn't the best first single especially because there was no radio edit for the beginning, HOWEVER you can't deny it's the best song to start off their concerts!

CD was awkward when they used to play it near the end of their set back in 2006.

Why?

I get that it wasn't the best first single especially because there was no radio edit for the beginning, HOWEVER you can't deny it's the best song to start off their concerts!

CD was awkward when they used to play it near the end of their set back in 2006.

I respectfully disagree with the concert start.

To me, Jungle is the greatest concert opener in the history of rock music - for any band.

To hear that beginning couple of guitar notes.......and then you hear Axl's demon voice scream........"do you know where you arrrrrrrre?".............it just sends the crowd into an absolute frenzy.

CD on the other hand, all that momentum is lost as soon as the lyrics start. "It don't really matter........." not quite the same impact as Axl holding his jungle scream for thirty seconds and just blowing the roof off the entire stadium!!!

Could be just me though. I think the song CD is mediocre and wish Axl would stop playing it life. I'd much rather here SOD, Better, Shacklers, Catcher, Twat, TIL, Prostitute live than CD. Heck, I wish they'd replace CD with even IRS on this next upcoming leg.

Why?

I respectfully disagree with the concert start.

To me, Jungle is the greatest concert opener in the history of rock music - for any band.

To hear that beginning couple of guitar notes.......and then you hear Axl's demon voice scream........"do you know where you arrrrrrrre?".............it just sends the crowd into an absolute frenzy.

CD on the other hand, all that momentum is lost as soon as the lyrics start. "It don't really matter........." not quite the same impact as Axl holding his jungle scream for thirty seconds and just blowing the roof off the entire stadium!!!

Could be just me though. I think the song CD is mediocre and wish Axl would stop playing it life. I'd much rather here SOD, Better, Shacklers, Catcher, Twat, TIL, Prostitute live than CD. Heck, I wish they'd replace CD with even IRS on this next upcoming leg.

I agree WTTJ is a much better opening song than CD but if CD's not the opener, it might as well not be included in the set. And, since It hurts me so bad that this band is becoming more and more a nostalgia act, opening with CD makes it seem a lot less like Axl has given up on taking this forward and given up on CD (the album). So if they dropped CD, they should either play new songs or make up for it with two more CD songs on the setlist, IMO.

CD If the world( I consider the worst of any GNR Song), SOD, CITR

UYI So Fine, You aint the first, Get in the Ring, Don't Cry ALT

AFD I know I am going to get stoned for this but for me I hated SCOM, Go figure the biggest hit by my favorite band and I don't like it.

Hmmm..

AFD

Doesn't have any actual bad songs. But Think About You isn't that special and the 3rd verse of My Michelle is a bit cringy.

Lies

Not a poor track on it. But the least good is probablt Reckless Life. Still good though.

UYI1

You Ain't The First is easily the weakest track on it. Probably also the only weak one. The rest sometimes feels a bit off, but that's more because it's either been overplayed or because the album overall isn't that coherent. Somehow I feel UYI would be even better as 3 more coherent, shorter albums.

UYI2

Obviously My World. But other than that Get In The Ring isn't that strong. It serves it's purpose, but it's far from brilliant. I'd also wish they'd have ended Breakdown better. The song is amazing, but the ending is a total bummer. I've never been that big a fan of the KOHD studio version either. The phonecall and all... pointless. The live version is infinitely better. I wish they'd made the studio version more like it. So Fine is far from brilliant too and the alternate Don't Cry is just plain redundant.

Again, I think the UYI's would make SO much more sense as 3 compacter more balanced records. Take the faster ass-kicking rock songs off UYI 1 and 2 and you'd have another AFD. Then put together some of the epics for a more complex record. And maybe there's a few that just won't fit. We'll see about those.

TSI

Strangely consistent, except that Since I Don't Have You makes me cringe. Utter crap. Look At Your Game Girl is crap too. But the stuff in between those is quite good actually.

CD

Aside from the many overall complaints I have I think TIL is horrible, Scraped is pure filler (not to mention total crap) and Shacklers just isn't my thing. Never been too sure about Better either. It's not bad, but I don't get the fuss. There are much better tracks on it. Never cared for Sorry either. SOD is good, but 2001 The Blues was SO much better...

Edited by username
  • Like 3

I would pay big money to see them play My World for the entirety of the set. Its long been a dream of mine to see a big time band play the exact same song the exact same way for 2-3 consecutive hours.

Same :lol:

Imagine the faces of the basic casual fans :lol: :lol:

That's what would make it so great- is too see the initial elation turn to confusion, then confusion turning to anger. It would be the greatest show ever. It seems like something Andy Kaufman would do if he fronted a rock band.

Hmmm..

AFD

Doesn't have any actual bad songs. But Think About You isn't that special and the 3rd verse of My Michelle is a bit cringy.

Lies

Not a poor track on it. But the least good is probablt Reckless Life. Still good though.

UYI1

You Ain't The First is easily the weakest track on it. Probably also the only weak one. The rest sometimes feels a bit off, but that's more because it's either been overplayed or because the album overall isn't that coherent. Somehow I feel UYI would be even better as 3 more coherent, shorter albums.

UYI2

Obviously My World. But other than that Get In The Ring isn't that strong. It serves it's purpose, but it's far from brilliant. I'd also wish they'd have ended Breakdown better. The song is amazing, but the ending is a total bummer. I've never been that big a fan of the KOHD studio version either. The phonecall and all... pointless. The live version is infinitely better. I wish they'd made the studio version more like it. So Fine is far from brilliant too and the alternate Don't Cry is just plain redundant.

Again, I think the UYI's would make SO much more sense as 3 compacter more balanced records. Take the faster ass-kicking rock songs off UYI 1 and 2 and you'd have another AFD. Then put together some of the epics for a more complex record. And maybe there's a few that just won't fit. We'll see about those.

TSI

Strangely consistent, except that Since I Don't Have You makes me cringe. Utter crap. Look At Your Game Girl is crap too. But the stuff in between those is quite good actually.

CD

Aside from the many overall complaints I have I think TIL is horrible, Scraped is pure filler (not to mention total crap) and Shacklers just isn't my thing. Never been too sure about Better either. It's not bad, but I don't get the fuss. There are much better tracks on it. Never cared for Sorry either. SOD is good, but 2001 The Blues was SO much better...

Posts like this are what I love about this place. I disagree with a bunch of what you said, but I totally get how you could feel the way you do. I also really like the breakdown by album and I'm stealing it :) :

AFD

I've never been into Think About You or Anything Goes myself but between the two I think TAY is the lesser of two evils. Other than those two, I think every track on AFD is perfect.

Lies

This might not sit well with a lot of people. but I've never really liked the pseudo-live portion of Lies. Not even Move To The City which many seem to love. Again, as with AFD, I think the acoustic side is brilliant. I think the version of YC on Lies destroys the one on AFD and it's got one of my favorite Slash solos ever.

UYI1

The only song I've ever disliked on UYI if Garden of Eden which shocks people often. What's weird is that I busted out the second LP of it the other night and actually dug it a lot more than I ever have been. Apparently I needed to let the song simmer for 20+ years lol

UYI2

Shotgun Blues and My World are awful and I'm truly not sure which I dislike more.

TSI

The list of what I do like on TSI is much shorter than what I don't: I like Hair of the Dog and Since I Don't Have You.

CD

The only song I truly dislike on CD is CitR. Other than that I dig it all. Better is my personal favorite GN'R song of all time and TIL has my favorite solo in any GN'R song.

Shotgun Blues is the only GNR song I always skip - even when I do full album listens. Bad Apples and You Ain't The First are close to Shotgun Blues but they are at least listeanable

On the opposite side I actually really like So Fine, I think it is pretty underrated

Rhiad and Scraped, Shotgun blues and Get in the ring.

I used to hate the songs like Patience and So fine but now I like them. Bad Apples is a good track, it's not exactly going to change the world with it's lyrical or musical content but it's a fun track not to mention a great riff and vocal.

Well, I kinda like My World...so I must say anyone who doesn't like Think About You, hmm well...I'm not sure they really get Guns at all. To me that's one the most under rated tracks in the entire Guns catalog. I sort of struggle to come up with one I really can't stand...that's probably bad on me. I've probably listened to them all so much they've all just sunk in...hmm, maybe Bring It Back Home? Or that pop ballad like song that was never released? (-?-)