Mel Gibson

Guest NGOG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody else, contrary to popular opinion, really like his interpretation of Jesus Christ's Passion? As always with Gibson it indulges in artistic licence, but the critics were harsh on that piece.

It's called the Tom Cruise effect.

Cruise is a nut. Gibson has a drink problem.

Hey, it's called the Tom Cruise effect because he is the most extreme example of the effect. ;) Otherwise it'd be called the Mel Gibson effect. But the basic principle is the same.

He's great. Recent films like The Beaver and Get The Gringo were awesome.

Get The Gringo was very good...I really enjoyed it and was shocked to know that prison really exists.

Does anybody else, contrary to popular opinion, really like his interpretation of Jesus Christ's Passion? As always with Gibson it indulges in artistic licence, but the critics were harsh on that piece.

Passion of the Christ was a very powerful movie.

Only the Jews hated it but it's just a bible story on the big screen.

Hey, it's called the Tom Cruise effect because he is the most extreme example of the effect. ;) Otherwise it'd be called the Mel Gibson effect. But the basic principle is the same.

I find it a bit unfair that he's been blacklisted by the industry. Everybody harbours questionable views exasperated and made public by the juice.

Cruise is nutty by nature.

I find it a bit unfair that he's been blacklisted by the industry. Everybody harbours questionable views exasperated and made public by the juice.

Well, there is the entire anti-Semite issue..

Well, there is the entire anti-Semite issue..

Big woop people need to be less sensitive.

I think it's one of the best films ever made about The Passion and it's absolutely brilliant. I think he is an amazing director and a very good actor. One of the best without a doubt. I don't care his private life at all.

I think it's one of the best films ever made about The Passion and it's absolutely brilliant. I think he is an amazing director and a very good actor. One of the best without a doubt. I don't care his private life at all.
Glad to hear someone else enjoyed it. I agree with you when you say it's one of the most powerful depictions of the Passion.

There was a lot of reservations about the torture scenes, but I support what Gibson did there. It captures the brutality of Roman authority, almost symbolizing the years of savage oppression subsequently conducted against the Christian minority. It also illustrates the level of disdain there was for this mere carpenter, who technically challenged the superlative authority of the emperor and claimed to be the euphoric warrior the Jews were awaiting.

Edited by NGOG

guys don't feel sorry for mel, he's extremely wealthy if he never works again. I enjoy his movies, even if he went a little nuts on that rant. he was worth over $800 million and had to give up half of it in his divorce, doh.

She was with Mel when he was a struggling actor, they had a lot of kids together, he's enjoyed all the things money can buy, but at his age, he probably wants to just take it easy, direct more movies, and act here and there.

There's no doubt in my mind they still love each other, but I'm sure she enjoys the distance she has from him now, they'll get together and be the best of pals for their kids.

Gibson and Cruise are both awesome.

Gibson, for his work. He's a solid actor for the type of roles he does, naturally charming, but really revealed himself to be quite a great director. I was happy to see Spike Lee give Apocalypto a shout-out in his list of essential films for filmmakers. Gibson said and did some horrible things, but I at least have sympathy: his father was a Holocaust denier who probably brainwashed that shit into him, and when you're really drunk, all kinds of bad things can come out of the inner recesses of your mind. I don't think people who haven't struggled with alcoholism get that. People who just get "pretty drunk" don't understand how drinking to the point some people do, to escape pain, can unleash all kinds of repressed stuff you didn't even know was lurking in there. I'm not saying that justifies anything he said, but I don't think the sober Mel Gibson literally believes any of that nonsense, or hates Jews.

Cruise just has a wacky religion that he got brainwashed into at an early stage in his career, by a manipulative religion who spotted a young, fresh-faced, rising star and took advantage of his generosity and overzealous nature. Cruise is always pushing to learn more and experience more, and that was the ultimate catch for him, I'm sure: being teased with some of the ideas behind Scientology and getting tangled up in it so easily. The church shields him from all the horrible stuff they do and, being a celebrity, he's isolated from the everyman perspective of it, and I doubt he really reads the Internet reports or anything. I don't judge him for his involvement in the church. I have a problem with the stuff they do, but based PURELY on the ideas behind the religion -- Xenu and all that shit -- what can you say of it? That it's crazy? Unrealistic? Is it much crazier than a virgin birth, the Resurrection, or the miracles in the Bible (ocean parting, man trapped in a whale's belly, etc.)?

Cruise is a driven actor who is always pushing the boundaries with his projects. Not the greatest actor in the world but probably the greatest movie star and someone who, with their name attached to a project, always ensures there's something behind the movie. Even when his movies are failures, I've never had the impression that he's done something out of laziness, an easy paycheck, or anything else. Even Oblivion, which I thought was good but flawed, had tons of ambition and moments of genius behind it. The guy is in his early 50s and is still kicking ass.

Guest Len B'stard

Both extremely mediocre twats that traded on good looks and a slightly above-Stallone level of acting talent that try and attach themselves to epics thats require limited range and there you have it. Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise in almost every movie he's in just like Bogart was always Bogart, difference being Bogart had presence, Bogart lit up the screen, Tom Cruise is a little midget.

And his films are just painfully boring, i can watch some pretty dire cinema really but even i walked out of Mission Impossible. I don't give a flying fuck whether someone hates jews or is a Scientolowhatever in their spare time, just purely judging on acting ability neither of em are all that and never will be.

Edited by sugaraylen

Both extremely mediocre twats that traded on good looks and a slightly above-Stallone level of acting talent that try and attach themselves to epics thats require limited range and there you have it. Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise in almost every movie he's in just like Bogart was always Bogart, difference being Bogart had presence, Bogart lit up the screen, Tom Cruise is a little midget.

And his films are just painfully boring, i can watch some pretty dire cinema really but even i walked out of Mission Impossible. I don't give a flying fuck whether someone hates jews or is a Scientolowhatever in their spare time, just purely judging on acting ability neither of em are all that and never will be.

Agreeing with sugarfeylemon before he gets piled on. Before we got too much insight into their personal issues, they were both good movie stars - in as much as they were safe, familiar and reliable on screen. Neither are Great Actors of the Olivier/Brando/or even Sean fucking Penn variety.

Edited by Angelica