The Godfather Thread

Gia

Thought I would make a thread about some of the greatest movies of all time

Talk about your favorite scenes...

What you hate... etc

For example... for some reason, one of my favorite scenes is when Tattalia is known to be a traitor

I think I like that scene so much is because he is one of the main help throughout the life of the Godfather

When he is discovered .... He even says so himself... it's just business

He even asks for a break "for all times sake"

Great scene

Edited by Gia

The scene where Michael kills the two guys in the restaurant is one of my favorite scenes in movie history.

lol

it's definitely better than bruce willis' movies, but what do you know about movie history?

how many movies from the top 100 movies i posted did you see? lol

The scene where Michael kills the two guys in the restaurant is one of my favorite scenes in movie history.

lol

it's definitely better than bruce willis' movies, but what do you know about movie history?

What the fuck?

• Like 1

lol

What the fuck?

lol

that's what i think reading your shitty posts

God dam... From the start of Part I to the end of Part II, the whole thing is just one big perfect scene

So many parts give me chills,

Mike in the hospital telling Vito he is there for him

The restaurant scene

Every scene of Michael in Sicily

Sunny's death

Meeting of the families

The ending- baptism/massacre was perfect then Carlo and Tattalia

Mike straight up lying to Connie in that final scene, and you know she knows it too

Every second of the back story of Vito with De Niro

Michael kissing Fredo, "You broke my heart!"

Another brilliant ending with Frank and Fredo getting it

The final shot of Michael on the bench and then one final flashback, a perfect ending

Those are just some of my highlights, but I love every minute of em

Really, they are perfect films. And I have read the book, also fantastic but its very different. I wouldn't change the films to better fit the book either, they are two separate beasts.

As for Part III... Disappointing? Fuck yeah. Necessary? Perhaps no. But as bad as everyone says? I don't think so... it isn't a bad movie, it's just a bad Godfather movie. Wish Robert Duvall signed on, the original idea of him and Michael at odds could have been really cool. Oh well...

lol

What the fuck?

lol

wait, what the fuck? :rofl-lol:

It's a bit boring really. Prefer Goodfellas really.

I like Brando in it though, him dying in that garden was good. Fredo, never go against the family again.

Coppola wanted Scorsese to direct Godfather 2.

"What I will do is help you develop a story. And I'll find a director and produce it." They said, "Well, who's the director?" And I said, "Young guy, Martin Scorsese. He was just starting out. [Paramount] said, “That’s crazy!” I realized I was facing the same mentality that didn’t want Brando [for Godfather I]."
Studio Executive Robert Evans thought it was a bad idea (look what happened to his career). "Absolutely not! Marty Scorsese is a horrible choice. Over my dead body," Evans said in the '70s American cinema renaissance tell-all,"Easy Riders, Raging Bulls," published in 1998.

Also, Robert Duvall had worked with Brando before, in "The Chase", which was a prison break flick starring Robert Redford and Jane Fonda.

Edited by dalsh327

Does anybody know the story with Mike's bodyguard in Godfather 2? I'm guessing he came from Sicily, worked with the Corleone family over there, Mike brought him over after the failed hit at his home. At that point Mike couldn't trust anybody, except for Tom Hagen. Then the bodyguard kills Johnny Ola and gets killed while trying to kill Roth.

What you hate... etc

For example... for some reason, one of my favorite scenes is when Tattalia is known to be a traitor

I think I like that scene so much is because he is one of the main help throughout the life of the Godfather

Great scene

You mean Tessio? Tartaglia was one of the heads of the Five Families. But that was a good scene and Tessio willingly going to his death.

What you hate... etc

Great scene

You mean Tessio? Tartaglia was one of the heads of the Five Families. But that was a good scene and Tessio willingly going to his death.

:rofl-lol:

Yes I meant Tessio, can't believe I made a mistake like that

also I meant to put thread instead of theme (Does anyone know how to change it? )

Overrated. There. I said it.

It's a fine movie. They both were. But seriously, it doesn't deserve all the knob-slobbing it gets.

I used to think like that not too long ago, but after watching it again... it really is a great movie (the first and second one)

Edited by Gia

Use the edit options to fix.

I like the scene where Hagan convinces Pentangeli to commit suicide since Michael could not get to him while surrounded by FBI.

Anyway, all I can find on Michael's bodyguard in Part II is that his name is Bussetta and he is from Sicily. He probably did work for Cosa Nostra before Michael imported his "expertise" on being a cold blooded killer.

I like the scene where Hagan convinces Pentangeli to commit suicide since Michael could not get to him while surrounded by FBI.

Anyway, all I can find on Michael's bodyguard in Part II is that his name is Bussetta and he is from Sicily. He probably did work for Cosa Nostra before Michael imported his "expertise" on being a cold blooded killer.

I still don't know how :lol:

Thoughts on part 3 ?

Godfather III was made for money reasons, Coppola was talked into making Godfather III because of how bad One From The Heart did, it comes off as erasing a bad debt and trying to figure out Michael's fate in his later years. I think the story probably would have been more with Tom and Connie in it.

I don't know if I liked the whole thing about Anthony being an opera singer, it's a character they could have done so much more with than they did. The corruption in the Vatican made the story interesting.

I don't know if Winona being Mary would have made a difference, Sofia seemed awkward and Francis should have kept looking for someone else, but he was probably stuck between a rock and a hard place.

lol

What the fuck?

lol

wait, what the fuck? :rofl-lol:

:rofl-lol:

Sorry Cardi but I thought it was kinda funny how he randomly attacked you :lol:

Thoughts on part 3 ?

They are always imported henchmen from the Old Country because sometimes it is easier to get someone that the other side does not know.

Godfather III was made for money reasons, Coppola was talked into making Godfather III because of how bad One From The Heart did, it comes off as erasing a bad debt and trying to figure out Michael's fate in his later years. I think the story probably would have been more with Tom and Connie in it.

I don't know if I liked the whole thing about Anthony being an opera singer, it's a character they could have done so much more with than they did. The corruption in the Vatican made the story interesting.

I don't know if Winona being Mary would have made a difference, Sofia seemed awkward and Francis should have kept looking for someone else, but he was probably stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The Vatican corruption plot should have been in a different movie. I think Anthony not wanting anything to do with his father should have been played up more but leave out the opera singing crap.

Winona Ryder would have been a hell of a lot better than Sofia Coppola. I mean the part for Mary was written poorly enough but when Mary was killed, nobody in the audience cared.

Thoughts on part 3 ?

They are always imported henchmen from the Old Country because sometimes it is easier to get someone that the other side does not know.

The Vatican corruption plot should have been in a different movie. I think Anthony not wanting anything to do with his father should have been played up more but leave out the opera singing crap.

Winona Ryder would have been a hell of a lot better than Sofia Coppola. I mean the part for Mary was written poorly enough but when Mary was killed, nobody in the audience cared.

Thoughts on part 3 ?

Puzo and Coppola wanted 6 months to work on the script, and got 6 weeks (I think it's in the documentary on the box set, plus the commentary).

This one was sandwiched between Dracula & Tucker, both great movies, even though people bitched about Keanu in Dracula being miscast, and FFC got to work with Winona.

Twixt just came out on DVD but it got shitty reviews but it's on my list of stuff to watch, still haven't seen Youth Without Youth & Tetro. I try to watch stuff Waits does, even if he's just narrating and I like Bruce Dern. Seems like a Stephen King story, doesn't it?

Edited by dalsh327

• 2 months later...

I think my favorite scene in the whole series is the Bonasera scene in the beginning of the first film. "If an honest man such as yourself were to make enemies then they would become my enemies. And then they will fear you." Such great dialogue in these films, I think that is what Part III lacked, the films lacked memorable dialogue.

I think my favorite scene in the whole series is the Bonasera scene in the beginning of the first film. "If an honest man such as yourself were to make enemies then they would become my enemies. And then they will fear you." Such great dialogue in these films, I think that is what Part III lacked, the films lacked memorable dialogue.

That's a great quote

Part 3 just isn't memorable... it was seriously a movie for money I believe.

I like when clemenza was like "leave the gun... take the cannolis" lol :lol:

That's a great quote

Part 3 just isn't memorable... it was seriously a movie for money I believe.

I like when clemenza was like "leave the gun... take the cannolis" lol :lol:

That was a wonderful improv by Richard Castellano. I am actually glad he couldn't do Part II because Michael V. Gazzo as Frankie was amazing. That scene where they briefly talked about his death was last minute because they were trying to get him back as the scene was shot. After that they just went along with Frankie. Hence why Clemenza's death was barely mentioned.

You are right about Part III being about money, at least for Paramount. Coppola actually wanted make Part III work but Paramount rushed him, he was only given a year to write, shoot and finish the film. If he had more time writing the film with Puzzo and they actually got Duvall back with the money he waned, it would have been a better film.