Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Discussion Thread

Vincent Vega

Personally I enjoyed the Hobbit and I am looking forward to part 2............

After watching it a second time, I concur.

If I were to rank all the Peter Jackson Tolkien films, A Unexpected Journey would easily be last. I mean I hope Jackson just remembers how to make a good movie during the next two.

I agree, but in my opinion the LOTR trilogy only got better with each film. I'm thinking it will be pretty similar with The Hobbit trilogy.

Definitely agree with this. I watched The Fellowship of the Ring recently and after the Council of Elrond the film really picked up. Same with An Unexpected Journey. It had that same ending where the film got really good then it ends.

Bump.

I wish they could make The Silmarillion.

Just noticed this post. That would be very cool, but I don't think it could be a linear film, and they'd certainly have to cut a lot of material out, as the book is mostly informative history rather than progressive story telling. That said though, I'd love to see what Jackson and team could come up with for it.

Bump.

I wish they could make The Silmarillion.

Just noticed this post. That would be very cool, but I don't think it could be a linear film, and they'd certainly have to cut a lot of material out, as the book is mostly informative history rather than progressive story telling. That said though, I'd love to see what Jackson and team could come up with for it.

It would be the next logical film series if Jackson has enough in him.

Anyone seen the Bakshi version? I own it on DVD.

I really liked an unexpected Journey. I thought it was a good start for the Hobbit trilogy. By the time its over, I'm sure people will appreciate it. Its better than Phantom Menace. And honestly for me I like it better than The Two Towers, thats my least fav LORTR film.

I like what Jackson is doing with these new films, i'm confident he will rap it all up in a neat little bow, with all 6 films being solid even great. Just gotta let it all unfold folks, geez we live in an instant gratification society.

As for the Similarion, I agree it will never happen. I think I even read somewhere that Christopher Tolkien said it will not become a film. But it might be better to leave it at 6 films anyways. I'm curious to see the new Star Wars trilogy, but I won't be shocked if its the weakest yet. You water down things by over exposing them.

Edited by Mike420

The Silmarilion is unfilmmable anyway. Besides one of the things that makes An Unexpected Journey work is the return of some of our favorite characters. Would be nice if Viggo Mortenson, Liv Tyler and John Ryes Davis return to their roles.

Can anyone explain why Thorin, Fili and Kili look more human like than Dwarf?

The Silmarilion is unfilmmable anyway. Besides one of the things that makes An Unexpected Journey work is the return of some of our favorite characters. Would be nice if Viggo Mortenson, Liv Tyler and John Ryes Davis return to their roles.

Viggo couldn't reprise his role as Aragorn - Aragorn was 10 at the time The Hobbit takes place. That's assuming his age given in the films is accurate, I honestly don't remember if it matches the books.

Viggo couldn't reprise his role as Aragorn - Aragorn was 10 at the time The Hobbit takes place. That's assuming his age given in the films is accurate, I honestly don't remember if it matches the books.

True, I forgot that 17 year gap. Though who knows if it existed in the films, if not it would put Aragorn at 27, a bit young for Viggo.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

True, I forgot that 17 year gap. Though who knows if it existed in the films, if not it would put Aragorn at 27, a bit young for Viggo.

Tough to say. I mean, Tolkien doesn't even make a huge deal out of the gap in the book; it's practically an after-thought.

I think Gandalf would have returned to The Shire faster if he had realized what the ring was earlier. If I remember correctly, basically when he finally got to the bottom of what the ring was, he rushed back. Though I haven't read FOTR in years so that may not be completely accurate.

From LOTR wikia:

"Troubled by this, Gandalf mulled over this. Before finally leaving the Shire, Gandalf gave the ring to Frodo, advising him to keep it safe. Over the next seventeen years, Gandalf traveled extensively, searching for answers. Having long sought for Gollum near Mordor, he met Aragorn, who had captured the creature in Mirkwood.
Gandalf interrogated Gollum and learned that Sauron had forced Gollum to tell what he knew about the ring under torture. Gandalf left Mirkwood soon after, and left Gollum with the Wood-elves of Northern Mirkwood."

I think Gandalf would have returned to The Shire faster if he had realized what the ring was earlier. If I remember correctly, basically when he finally got to the bottom of what the ring was, he rushed back. Though I haven't read FOTR in years so that may not be completely accurate.

From LOTR wikia:

"Troubled by this, Gandalf mulled over this. Before finally leaving the Shire, Gandalf gave the ring to Frodo, advising him to keep it safe. Over the next seventeen years, Gandalf traveled extensively, searching for answers. Having long sought for Gollum near Mordor, he met Aragorn, who had captured the creature in Mirkwood.
Gandalf interrogated Gollum and learned that Sauron had forced Gollum to tell what he knew about the ring under torture. Gandalf left Mirkwood soon after, and left Gollum with the Wood-elves of Northern Mirkwood."

In the movie he just went to Mina Tirith and read Isildur's writings where the black speech would appear if held over fire. So Gandalf has Frodo hold the ring by the fire, thus confirming that its is indeed The One Ring. I like how they came up with ways to save a lot of time. People often bring up the Eagles. They didn't bother explaining because they felt it was painfully obvious. Sauron would have seen them.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

Thinking about buying the lord of the rings trilogy extended editions tomorrow. Should I sell my normal boxed trilogy (theatrical editions)? Or keep both of them?

I plan on keeping mine. Will start purchasing the blu rays.

Rewatched The Hobbit this weekend, enjoyed it far more than I did the first time but I still have a fair amount of issues with it. Thankfully it didn't drag as much as it did at the cinema.

I am about to watch the extended edition. It is a little over 3 hours. Some of the scenes I watched were great. I did say before that the prologue dragged on but I start to appreciate it more. I am really excited for Part 2.

Thinking about buying the lord of the rings trilogy extended editions tomorrow. Should I sell my normal boxed trilogy (theatrical editions)? Or keep both of them?

Rewatched The Hobbit this weekend, enjoyed it far more than I did the first time but I still have a fair amount of issues with it. Thankfully it didn't drag as much as it did at the cinema.

I am about to watch the extended edition. It is a little over 3 hours. Some of the scenes I watched were great. I did say before that the prologue dragged on but I start to appreciate it more. I am really excited for Part 2.

Fill us in on what the new scenes are. I literally haven't heard anything about what they are, and I'm anxious to know but can't devote that amount of time to a movie for a couple weeks probably :lol:

Thought the extended edition only had 9 minutes of extra footage, seems closer to 20 then. The prologue dragged so much in the cinema but seemed much quicker at home, might have something to do with stupid uncomfortable cinema seats though.

Did you see in the high frame rate? Because a lot of people felt it took about a half an hour to get used to so the prologue probably suffered for those who've seen it.

I have to say the special features on The Lord of the Rings EE's are the best ever. And The Hobbit continues that. The making of features are very funny, some amazing personalities among he cast of dwarves. It makes you enjoy watching them even more. Most of the scenes with Ian McKellen with Bilbo and the Dwarves was Ian by himself. He used a green screen set and was shot at the same time as the others who used a larger scale set so it will appear together on film. He had trouble acting practically by himself and be broke down a few times. The crew got together and decorated his tent to which he was happy and was able to finish his scenes.

Nah I saw it in run of the mill 2D with normal frame rate, I usually get minor headaches with 3D so avoid it at all costs.

Fill us in on what the new scenes are. I literally haven't heard anything about what they are, and I'm anxious to know but can't devote that amount of time to a movie for a couple weeks probably :lol:

Info is here http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/10/25/81272-the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-extended-edition-scene-guide/

Well if you ever wonder where Bilbo disappeared off to in Rivendell, you will find out. There is the Goblin Song and the Dwarves acting like assholes in Rivendell. Plus they somewhat introduced Thranduil the King of Mirkwood. You will see more of him soon.

A lot of the new scenes featured Elrond, nice to see him again. I like how Thorin despises the Elves but can't help but respect Elrond and the respect is mutual. Shows great characterization. That is what makes these movies so great, not just fantasy stuff and battles but the characters are great.

Well if you ever wonder where Bilbo disappeared off to in Rivendell, you will find out. There is the Goblin Song and the Dwarves acting like assholes in Rivendell. Plus they somewhat introduced Thranduil the King of Mirkwood. You will see more of him soon.

A lot of the new scenes featured Elrond, nice to see him again. I like how Thorin despises the Elves but can't help but respect Elrond and the respect is mutual. Shows great characterization. That is what makes these movies so great, not just fantasy stuff and battles but the characters are great.

I skimmed through the summary Tater Totts posted - didn't seem terribly exciting stuff. Are the new scenes comparable to the stuff in the extended LOTR? It seems like they've got a lot less important stuff to add in the extended versions than LOTR (i.e. Mouth of Sauron, Galadriel's gifts, etc.) because The Hobbit doesn't need to simplify everything to meet the time constraints.