Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Discussion Thread

Vincent Vega

I think Bombadil was Eru.

I don't know what to think.

Tolkien said he's not Eru.

Thought I'd read that, but didn't want to burst in here quoting Tolkien on something I wasn't positive of :lol:

All I know is, if Beorn isn't in this next Hobbit movie, I'll be very upset.

There's no reason to think he wouldn't be.

Maybe Bombadil is Middle Earth's conscience? I have watched too much Doctor Who.

All this makes me want to read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion. Unfortunately I have to buy the last two books I mentioned because my brother took my copies.

Has anyone seen the animated versions of The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Return of the King? I have Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings on DVD. You'd be amazed how much Peter Jackson borrowed from that movie

Maybe Bombadil is Middle Earth's conscience? I have watched too much Doctor Who.

All this makes me want to read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion. Unfortunately I have to buy the last two books I mentioned because my brother took my copies.

Has anyone seen the animated versions of The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Return of the King? I have Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings on DVD. You'd be amazed how much Peter Jackson borrowed from that movie

Reread The Hobbit after the first film came out. Tried rereading The Silmarillion during student teaching, but it's too complex when you're stressed out 24/7. Got a nice all-in-one edition of LOTR for my birthday, so I can't wait to dig into that.

I saw most of Bakshi's The Hobbit in middle school, but I hardly remember any of it. Never seen LOTR or ROTK. Where does LOTR end since there's no The Two Towers?

I saw most of Bakshi's The Hobbit in middle school, but I hardly remember any of it. Never seen LOTR or ROTK. Where does LOTR end since there's no The Two Towers?

Bakshi never made The Hobbit, he did The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit was produced by someone else, can't remember who.

Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings ended after The Battle of Helm's Deep. It was pretty impressive how much he fit in a film under 2 hours and 20 minutes, the longest for an animated film for that time. The film is flawed of course. They kept dropping the S in Saruman and later putting it back in because the filmmakers felt casual audiences will get him confused with Sauron.

Got a nice all-in-one edition of LOTR for my birthday, so I can't wait to dig into that.

Which one do you have? Because I'd like to get the all-in-one book but can't seem to figure out which is which and what the cheapest one is.

Why did Bakshi do 2/3 in one movie as LOTR?

Got a nice all-in-one edition of LOTR for my birthday, so I can't wait to dig into that.

Which one do you have? Because I'd like to get the all-in-one book but can't seem to figure out which is which and what the cheapest one is.

I got this one back around 2001/2002. Paperback, probably $15.

gandalflotrcover.jpg

gandalflotrcover.jpg

That's the one I had. I am going to buy this one

0618645616.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

To answer your question, Bakshi planned on doing two films, but the producers dumped the project. The film did well considering. The Return of the King was adapted for television and never bothered watching that.

gandalflotrcover.jpg

That's the one I had. I am going to buy this one

To answer your question, Bakshi planned on doing two films, but the producers dumped the project. The film did well considering. The Return of the King was adapted for television and never bothered watching that.

I have The Hobbit, ROTK and FOTR and/or TTT with covers similar to that one.

I can't find it on Barnes & Noble or Amazon anymore, so I think it's been discontinued since last year. But this is it:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/721a/?itm=adwords_labelsHome_%26_Office_and_adwords_labelsRegular_Price&rkgid=1132043420&cpg=ogho1&source=google_home_office&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CIyTtMqJgLsCFbBAMgodbE4A_A

This is the edition of The Hobbit I have:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/3818/?itm=adwords_labelsHome_%26_Office_and_adwords_labelsRegular_Price&rkgid=1132043420&cpg=ogho1&source=google_home_office&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CJyjooSKgLsCFccRMwodInEA_w

And I have yet to find a really nice edition of The Silmarillion, so I just have the standard hardcover edition (This is the same edition paperback, seems hardcover may be out of print?):

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/silmarillion-j-r-r-tolkien/1002089300?ean=9780618126989

That's the one I have. Bought it in 2010 I think. I've had other versions of all 3 and this is by far the best one I've owned so far. A bit pricey, but worth it. I bought it with a gift card so it felt like a justified purchase.

It is a lot cheaper now. Good thing too because I can get with The Silmarillion for a discount.

And this is what I have for The Hobbit. Not a bad cover

5907.jpg

I haven't researched the other two but from quick searches on Amazon I've come up with these

The Hobbit 75th Anniversary

http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-There-Back-Again/dp/0547928246/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385432004&sr=1-8&keywords=The+Hobbit

And I think The Silmarillion hardcover is a lot harder to find because I can only find the first edition and reprints

http://www.amazon.com/Silmarillion-J-R-Tolkien/dp/B009NOAYNM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385432155&sr=1-1&keywords=the+silmarillion

If you really want to go deeper I'd get Unfinished Tales. Stuff left out from The Silmarillion.

I haven't researched the other two but from quick searches on Amazon I've come up with these

http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-There-Back-Again/dp/0547928246/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385432004&sr=1-8&keywords=The+Hobbit

And I think The Silmarillion hardcover is a lot harder to find because I can only find the first edition and reprints

http://www.amazon.com/Silmarillion-J-R-Tolkien/dp/B009NOAYNM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385432155&sr=1-1&keywords=the+silmarillion

If you really want to go deeper I'd get Unfinished Tales. Stuff left out from The Silmarillion.

The edition of The Silmarillion I posted is available in hardcover, but it may be out of print. I paid like $25 for it in December.

The edition of The Silmarillion I posted is available in hardcover, but it may be out of print. I paid like $25 for it in December.

Probably. Though I want to get that in paperback.

Isn't this the hardcover?

http://www.amazon.com/Silmarillion-J-R-Tolkien/dp/081242302X/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1385433917

Probably. Though I want to get that in paperback.

Isn't this the hardcover?

http://www.amazon.com/Silmarillion-J-R-Tolkien/dp/081242302X/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1385433917

The sleeve on my edition is the same artwork as the Barnes & Noble link I posted on the last page. Not familiar with the edition you just linked.