Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Discussion Thread

Vincent Vega

I now own the 50th Anniversary paperback and The Silmarillion Second Edition. Now I need to get Unfinished Tales.

I have still yet to read Unfinished Tales, or the other one, Children of Hurin I think it's called. In other news, just pre-ordered Hobbit tickets for midnight, IMAX 3D. Would prefer regular IMAX, but it wasn't an option.

0618645616.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

That's the one I have. Bought it in 2010 I think. I've had other versions of all 3 and this is by far the best one I've owned so far. A bit pricey, but worth it. I bought it with a gift card so it felt like a justified purchase.

It is a lot cheaper now. Good thing too because I can get with The Silmarillion for a discount.

And this is what I have for The Hobbit. Not a bad cover

5907.jpg

I have them all (Hobbit, etc. included) in this format:

The-Lord-of-the-Rings-%283-Book-Box-set%

That looks cool. I would like to have a copy of that painting Alan Lee made of Isildur cutting the Ring from Sauron's hand with the broken blade of Narsil.

Cool that you can actually buy replica of the swords. Narsil/Anduril, Glamdring, Orcrist, Sting, Elrond's sword and even Aragorn's Ranger sword made only for the movie.

Can even buy the Game of Thrones swords such as Ice and Needle.

Also really like the look of the Dwarf swords.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Desolation of Smaug at midnight. It was very good, a bit more fast paced than the first one. I gotta keep reminding myself though that no matter how good these Hobbit films are, they can't be compared to LOTR.

But they don't really need to be compared now do they? It's one giant story, just sit back and enjoy......

Going to see it now, so excited!!!

But they don't really need to be compared now do they? It's one giant story, just sit back and enjoy......

Going to see it now, so excited!!!

Yeah, I agree, I'm more saying that I can't help myself but compare even though I know I shouldn't. It's another great installment in the Tolkien film universe, you'll enjoy it.

I really wanna see DOS tonight. If there aren't any parties around here, I think I might go. Did anyone see it in 3D? And special edition 3D theater glasses? I got the green ones that say "The Hobbit" or whatever on them last time around.

Also, I think I'll be getting the Collector's Edition of the Hobbit book and the 50th Anniversary collection of the all-in-one LotR books for Christmas.

I went to the midnight showing last night and unsurprisingly loved it. I am not a fan of CGI over kill but I can honestly say I was astounded by Smaug, I do not remember another time special effects have left me so speechless. Cumberbatch was magnificent and the Gandalf vs ****** was awesome

I really wanna see DOS tonight. If there aren't any parties around here, I think I might go. Did anyone see it in 3D? And special edition 3D theater glasses? I got the green ones that say "The Hobbit" or whatever on them last time around.

Also, I think I'll be getting the Collector's Edition of the Hobbit book and the 50th Anniversary collection of the all-in-one LotR books for Christmas.

3D is okay. The only reason I saw it in 3D is because it was IMAX also, would have much preferred non-3D IMAX, but my nearby theater's did not offer that. The glasses are annoying to wear, and there's no discernible increase in picture quality due to 3D. In fact, I'd argue the opposite, scenes in which a lot of movement occurs (fights, etc.) get sort of momentarily blurry (not significantly, but noticeable). All you get for 3D are a few orc heads flying at you, and a bat under the mountain. Did not receive special edition glasses.

I went to the midnight showing last night and unsurprisingly loved it. I am not a fan of CGI over kill but I can honestly say I was astounded by Smaug, I do not remember another time special effects have left me so speechless. Cumberbatch was magnificent and the Gandalf vs ****** was awesome

Agreed, Smaug was a highlight of the movie. Cumberbatch is always great, his voice was perfect for Khan too.

I was surprised by the amount of deviation from the book, but it did not really hurt the story/enjoyability at all. Still don't really get what Evangeline Lilly is doing in this movie, or why her character was necessary, but again, not really a huge complaint. Well it's actually more of I get why she's there, I just don't see the necessity for it.

I do think they went a little overkill with Orlando Bloom's makeup, at times it almost looks like Legolas had plastic surgery.

Edited by OmarBradley

I thought it was absolutly fantastic. One of the best installments so far. Desolation, Fellowship, and Return of the King are my 3 favs so far (not sure about the order). I still really enjoy Two Towers and Unexpected Journey, but they are the two weakest IMO. I think There and back again is going to be incredible.

Anyone who claims these movies are in anyway inferior to LOTR, need not fret. This film is just as "epic" as anything in the first trilogy.

I'm calling it now, The Middle Earth Saga > Star Wars Saga.

Edited by Mike420
  • Like 1

The LOTR movies are so much better. So much more heart and effort was taken in the process. I love reading about and watching the LOTR behind the scenes process.

On a side note of bragging, I own the books 'The Hobbit' and 'Fellowship' first edition UK versions. :)

I thought it was absolutly fantastic. One of the best installments so far. Desolation, Fellowship, and Return of the King are my 3 favs so far (not sure about the order). I still really enjoy Two Towers and Unexpected Journey, but they are the two weakest IMO. I think There and back again is going to be incredible.

Anyone who claims these movies are in anyway inferior to LOTR, need not fret. This film is just as "epic" as anything in the first trilogy.

There and Back Again will provide better ending than The Return of the King. The ending of ROTK took forever and it was too mushy.

I prefer Middle Earth over Star Wars myself.

There and Back Again will provide better ending than The Return of the King. The ending of ROTK took forever and it was too mushy.

I prefer Middle Earth over Star Wars myself.

Well bearing in mind they have to fit the entire Laketown scene, resolve Smaug's story and the Battle of the Five Armies and tie up the loose ends it certainly seems like it will be a very pacy film.

I have faith that Jackson will tie up all the loose ends, and still provide another solid entry. I mean shit its gonna open with Smaug attacking Laketown, thats a pretty cool place to start. Plus all the "things" going on with Sauron, I'm really starting to like this series just as much as LOTR.

Edited by Mike420

The movie was pretty good. I enjoyed watching.

My only complaint is that Peter Jackson needs to make his goddam movies shorter. Christ. There's no way I can hold six beers for three hours. He needs to think about using intermissions because I felt like an asshole leaving my seat to go to the pisser two hours into the movie.

Maybe try not to drink so much? The Hobbit films are shorter than The Lord of the Rings films. Even shorter than King Kong.

It is too bad The Lord of the Rings came out before the splitting the book trend. We could have gotten six movies instead of three since the book was in six parts, not three.

Went to see this yesterday and thought it was really, really bad. The film has zero conclusion. That's pretty unforgivable imo because it means that what Jackson has done is made one giant film and split it in to three parts(instead of making a trilogy of watchable films). There's way too much going on and in the end it's just a complete fucking mess. This is Jackson's Attack of the Clones.

The HFR 3D didn't help either. Made it painfully obvious that I was watching people in costumes on a movie set.

I would like to see this movie because Orlando Bloom is back as Legolas and he has a love interest. ET magazine said they have a good chemistry in the movie.

It's just too damn long. I'll wait for the dvd. I get so tired of sitting for over 2 hours or so and my butt usually falls asleep. lol

Went to see this yesterday and thought it was really, really bad. The film has zero conclusion. That's pretty unforgivable imo because it means that what Jackson has done is made one giant film and split it in to three parts(instead of making a trilogy of watchable films). There's way too much going on and in the end it's just a complete fucking mess. This is Jackson's Attack of the Clones.

The HFR 3D didn't help either. Made it painfully obvious that I was watching people in costumes on a movie set.

These are excellent points and I cannot disagree. It's strange because I normally hate movies and you are right in every way but I still enjoyed it.

My concern is that when I watch these movies in sequential order, if will be unbearably long. The Hobbit may be my favorite fantasy book ever and although these movies are fairly good (I didn't care for the first though), I won't be able to watch them in one sitting. That is my problem with Peter Jackson. The only reason why he splits these movies up is because he's a whore and it's too bad because I just want to watch The Hobbit, not some pretentious, over the top cinematic bullshit. With that said I did like this movie. I just wish he made one movie and not three. But I can't blame the guy. He obviously loves to eat and these movies help pay for the lobster or whatever rich people eat a lot of.

These are excellent points and I cannot disagree. It's strange because I normally hate movies and you are right in every way but I still enjoyed it.

My concern is that when I watch these movies in sequential order, if will be unbearably long. The Hobbit may be my favorite fantasy book ever and although these movies are fairly good (I didn't care for the first though), I won't be able to watch them in one sitting. That is my problem with Peter Jackson. The only reason why he splits these movies up is because he's a whore and it's too bad because I just want to watch The Hobbit, not some pretentious, over the top cinematic bullshit. With that said I did like this movie. I just wish he made one movie and not three. But I can't blame the guy. He obviously loves to eat and these movies help pay for the lobster or whatever rich people eat a lot of.

Most Tolkien fans want as much theatrical content as possible. If you are interested in a single film Hobbit, I can direct you to these two productions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit_(1977_film), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit_(1985_film)

I don't think he splits these movies up "because he's a whore." I think he does it because there is a lot of content in the books, and he probably enjoys making the films too. And there's no doubt that the LOTR/Hobbit films have made Jackson some seriously decent money, but he's directed other films too and would still be pretty well off had he never adapted LOTR/Hobbit.