Ladies and gents, meet your new Batman...

When they casted Heath Ledger as the joker, everybody laughed and made fun. I was one that would say, how can broke back be the joker? And then he proved everybody wrong. The fan boys went crazy when Anne Hathaway was casted as Catwoman. And over all her reviews were fantastic! She is my favorite character in TDKR. I even read an article that people laughed at Michael Keaton being casted as Batman. All I am saying, he might surprise us. Argo wasn't bad! Since taking the role of being a director, his acting skills have improved. I am not excited, but from the casting of previous Batman movies, we might be surprised.

Even if Assfleck DOES do a good job, it doesn't really matter. With this casting, they've resigned themselves to the fact that their version of the Avengers will have Ben Affleck playing Batman, and not the guy who's actually famous for the popular Batman trilogy of the past decade. Can you imagine if Marvel replaced RDJ as Iron Man for the Avengers?

They'd better hope he does a good job in Supes vs. Bats.

I hate RDJ, and have never seen an Iron Man movie because of it.

When they casted Heath Ledger as the joker, everybody laughed and made fun. I was one that would say, how can broke back be the joker? And then he proved everybody wrong. The fan boys went crazy when Anne Hathaway was casted as Catwoman. And over all her reviews were fantastic! She is my favorite character in TDKR. I even read an article that people laughed at Michael Keaton being casted as Batman. All I am saying, he might surprise us. Argo wasn't bad! Since taking the role of being a director, his acting skills have improved. I am not excited, but from the casting of previous Batman movies, we might be surprised.

Even if Assfleck DOES do a good job, it doesn't really matter. With this casting, they've resigned themselves to the fact that their version of the Avengers will have Ben Affleck playing Batman, and not the guy who's actually famous for the popular Batman trilogy of the past decade. Can you imagine if Marvel replaced RDJ as Iron Man for the Avengers?

But my point still stands. Iron Man is by far the most popular Avenger, just like Batman is the most popular member of the Justice League. If they recasted RDJ, the Avengers probably would have suffered significantly from it, like I expect Justice League to suffer from not having Bale on board.

But my point still stands. Iron Man is by far the most popular Avenger, just like Batman is the most popular member of the Justice League. If they recasted RDJ, the Avengers probably would have suffered significantly from it, like I expect Justice League to suffer from not having Bale on board.

Of course! The JL movie would of killed if Bale was on it. Edited by batman007

Nothing against Bale but (like others have said) his career was essentially launched because of Batman....unlike RDJ, who was already a mainstream celebrity before Iron Man. I think Batman can survive without Bale but Iron Man can't survive without RDJ. RDJ added sooo much to the Iron Man character from his own persona while the opposite happened with Batman - Batman added to Bale's persona.

Nothing against Bale but (like others have said) his career was essentially launched because of Batman....unlike RDJ, who was already a mainstream celebrity before Iron Man. I think Batman can survive without Bale but Iron Man can't survive without RDJ. RDJ added sooo much to the Iron Man character from his own persona while the opposite happened with Batman - Batman added to Bale's persona.

I also think the Batman character will survive, but they need to do it correctly. I for one didnt want any new Batman movies for ten years or more. Nolan s franchise was near perfect, and I was satisfied. I knew that if they would try to stick another Batman down our throat too soon, it would be rough .

Of course! The JL movie would of killed if Bale was on it.

Nah. Bale's very realistic and gritty batman would have been out of place in the campy and outlandish Justice League universe.

It would have ruined his trilogy, so good for him turning down the offer.

You're on crack. Hulk is far more popular than Iron Man could ever hope to be and Superman stands right alongside Batman.

not the guy who's actually famous for the popular Batman trilogy of the past decade.

First of all, it was speculated that Snyder offered Bale upto 50 million to reprise. Obviously Bale is very adamant about not doing another Batman, especially one not led by Nolan. But to my second and main point, Nolan's trilogy did not leave Bruce Wayne as Batman. JGL is entering the Batcave (while Wayne is on a sort of a sabbatical) presumably about to become a provisional Batman/Nightwing.

Over the the last few days I've been reading a lot of articles defending Affleck's appointment and although I continue to feel there were much better options, I am certainly more amenable to Snyder's casting.

Who's directing Kevin Smith?

Did you know he was signed on to make a Superman in the late 90s/early 00s?

A giant spider and Nicholas Cage as Superman would have been in it.

Oh and Superman couldn't fly.

I thought the Nic Cage movie was being handled by Tim Burton.

It was originally Kevin Smith, but the studio removed him and brought in Tim Burton.

Smith wrote it and wanted Burton to direct it. Burton had Wesley Strick re-write it.

Kevin Smith pitched Peters his story outline in August 1996, and was allowed to write the screenplay under certain conditions: Peters wanted Superman to wear an all-black suit, and also did not want Superman to fly, arguing that Superman would "look like an overgrown Boy Scout." Smith wrote Superman flying as "a red-and-blue blur in flight, creating a sonic boom every time he flew." Peters also wanted Superman to fight a giant spider for the climactic showdown.

It was originally Kevin Smith, but the studio removed him and brought in Tim Burton.

Smith wrote it and wanted Burton to direct it. Burton had Wesley Strick re-write it.

Kevin Smith pitched Peters his story outline in August 1996, and was allowed to write the screenplay under certain conditions: Peters wanted Superman to wear an all-black suit, and also did not want Superman to fly, arguing that Superman would "look like an overgrown Boy Scout." Smith wrote Superman flying as "a red-and-blue blur in flight, creating a sonic boom every time he flew." Peters also wanted Superman to fight a giant spider for the climactic showdown.

i think smith wrote widening gyre or some green hornet story for movie which didnt get backing either. So he did cop out. They should make bluntman and chronic movie.

Peters eventually forced his giant spider into Wild Wild West. :lol: Smith tells the story of this at one of his Q&A things and it's hilarious.

Slightly off topic, but...

movies coming out in 2015: Batman vs. Superman, Star Wars 7, Avengers 2, Jurassic Park 4, Mission Impossible 5, Spongebob 2, Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Terminator reboot, Popeye reboot, Peanuts reboot, Ant-Man, Assassin's Creed, Ratchet and Clank, Kung Fu Panda 3, Alvin and the Chipmunks 4, Smurfs 3, Fantastic Four reboot, Hunger Games 4 and James Bond 24

...just thought I'd share that...

As much as I can gripe about the reboot trend, I will say this: sequels were a lot worse in the '80s. Look at stuff like Police Academy that just went on endlessly. All the fluke hit sex comedies like Weekend at Bernies and Teen Wolf that turned into immediate death knells. And the '70s are remembered fondly as a great decade for film, but that's because history lets us forget all the abysmal films that were released. There was a lot of crap back then too! People looking back at the 2000s twenty years from now will remember all the great stuff, I'm sure.

Hollywood has always been about money. I don't think the concept of sequels is anything new. And there's still plenty of great indie stuff being made these days (especially due to the ability of people to watch entertainment through different venues, and not being basically forced into seeing a handful of movies on a handful of channels and whatnot).

But yeah, the comic book trend is really getting old. It seems to be the big thing these days and i get a bit sick of Marvel's domination. I don't have a problem with most of the movies they make, it's just over-saturation -- people are going to get burnt out. But the overseas market is so huge and they love these action movies and sequels...for example the last Pirates of the Caribbean didn't do so great in North America but it made like three quarters of a billion dollars overseas! Transformers 3 was huge internationally, so was Iron Man 3. I agree with Spielberg and Lucas that the big Hollywood blockbuster is going to start to capsize soon. The budgets are becoming so huge and inflated that when a movie DOES bomb (Lone Ranger, White House Down, RIPD to name a few recent examples) the losses are enormous. They're losing literally hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars.

I remember reading a report that the one Harry Potter movie which made $900 million worldwide actually LOST the studio money because they spent so much on development and marketing, they had to rely on its eventual home video sales for profit. That's mindblowing.

EDIT: Here's the story http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/studio-shame-even-harry-potter-pic-loses-money-because-of-warner-bros-phony-baloney-accounting/

How could you omit Porkys and Revenge of the Nerds? Lmao, good post.

Peters eventually forced his giant spider into Wild Wild West. :lol: Smith tells the story of this at one of his Q&A things and it's hilarious.

Yeah, I remember reading that on wiki, too.

A Batman portrayed by someone who's tasted humiliation and a reversal of all personal valences -- kind of like Grant Morrison's "Zen warrior" version of Batman, post-ARKHAM ASYLUM, who was, in the words of Superman, "...the most dangerous man on the planet"? Think for a second and admit that Ben Affleck is closer to THAT top-shelf iteration of The Dark Knight than pretty much anyone in Hollywood right now.

..Patton Oswalt

he has a point about Affleck and as I said earlier in the thread I don't even really have an issue with the guy playing Batman. He's shown he can be a talented actor at times and his tabloid fodder past was a long time ago.

What I have issue with is the guy behind the camera. I just can't really picture Snyder making a great movie. Man of Steel was about as optimistic as I'd ever gotten about one of his movies, I was totally willing to give benefit of the doubt and try to love the film, but I just walked out feeling a sense of I should have known better.

What I have issue with is the guy behind the camera. I just can't really picture Snyder making a great movie. Man of Steel was about as optimistic as I'd ever gotten about one of his movies, I was totally willing to give benefit of the doubt and try to love the film, but I just walked out feeling a sense of I should have known better.

This.

Snyder and Goyer are the reason this won't work, not Affleck. Combine that with the fact that Superman vs Batman is just not going to work in a Hollywood blockbuster and you've got a movie that will most likely be even worse than Man of Steel.