Ladies and gents, meet your new Batman...

Just heard about this, fawk.

There should be a one superhero limit per actor. :book:

Thing that bothers me most isn't really even Affleck (was never keen on him, he's shown more promise since his directing 'comeback' but is still hardly one of my favourite actors! but fair enough, I'll give him a chance).

What really bothers me is that they're pushing this new Batman onto us SO quickly after Bale. Especially since that was such a well-regarded series. Why not wait a few years and let it settle in people's minds, you know? Give it some longevity? Remakes used to typically happen after a lot of time had passed, and often when the predecessor's sequels had fizzled out. Batman Begins was perfect because it was following a critically-reviled movie (Batman and Robin) that audiences also hated. It had been almost a decade since the last film came out. Enough time had passed that people were ready for a new Batman.

But reboots now seem like a convenient way for Hollywood to just immediately turn around and restart a franchise with fresh actors and it almost indirectly dismisses the previous films.

I don't know. Maybe I'm old-fashioned. I just feel like the turnaround is too quick.

I'll miss Bale, too. :(

Will he direct?

No, Zack Snyder is. That's why I'm not excited. It's a sequel to Man of Steel, which I found mediocre. Snyder is not a very good director in my book, and I can't get excited about the sequel based solely on the fact that he's making it. :shrugs:

Slightly off topic, but...

movies coming out in 2015: Batman vs. Superman, Star Wars 7, Avengers 2, Jurassic Park 4, Mission Impossible 5, Spongebob 2, Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Terminator reboot, Popeye reboot, Peanuts reboot, Ant-Man, Assassin's Creed, Ratchet and Clank, Kung Fu Panda 3, Alvin and the Chipmunks 4, Smurfs 3, Fantastic Four reboot, Hunger Games 4 and James Bond 24

...just thought I'd share that...

movies coming out in 2015: Batman vs. Superman, Star Wars 7, Avengers 2, Jurassic Park 4, Mission Impossible 5, Spongebob 2, Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Terminator reboot, Popeye reboot, Peanuts reboot, Ant-Man, Assassin's Creed, Ratchet and Clank, Kung Fu Panda 3, Alvin and the Chipmunks 4, Smurfs 3, Fantastic Four reboot, Hunger Games 4 and James Bond 24

Guardians of the Galaxy too no? Or is that '14?

Guardians of the Galaxy too no? Or is that '14?

I don't hate this casting decision. He could give an interesting performance. You gotta figure after Argo, he could've had his pick of projects. I'm hoping the Superman/Batman dynamic that's going to be depicted in this flick intrigued him.

I'll reserve judgement for now.

I don't hate this casting decision. He could give an interesting performance. You gotta figure after Argo, he could've had his pick of projects. I'm hoping the Superman/Batman dynamic that's going to be depicted in this flick intrigued him.

I actually didn't mind him in Daredevil. :shrugs:

• Like 1

I actually didn't mind him in Daredevil. :shrugs:

It wasn't the worst. I think hopes were high for Marvel following the success of the first Spider-Man, so the fact that it was very much a so-so hit harder than it would if it was released a couple years later.

But Afleck's in a good place in his career right now. I could be wrong (God knows George Clooney looks good on paper) but I think he could give a gritty, grounded perfomance, if written well of course.

As much as I can gripe about the reboot trend, I will say this: sequels were a lot worse in the '80s. Look at stuff like Police Academy that just went on endlessly. All the fluke hit sex comedies like Weekend at Bernies and Teen Wolf that turned into immediate death knells. And the '70s are remembered fondly as a great decade for film, but that's because history lets us forget all the abysmal films that were released. There was a lot of crap back then too! People looking back at the 2000s twenty years from now will remember all the great stuff, I'm sure.

Hollywood has always been about money. I don't think the concept of sequels is anything new. And there's still plenty of great indie stuff being made these days (especially due to the ability of people to watch entertainment through different venues, and not being basically forced into seeing a handful of movies on a handful of channels and whatnot).

But yeah, the comic book trend is really getting old. It seems to be the big thing these days and i get a bit sick of Marvel's domination. I don't have a problem with most of the movies they make, it's just over-saturation -- people are going to get burnt out. But the overseas market is so huge and they love these action movies and sequels...for example the last Pirates of the Caribbean didn't do so great in North America but it made like three quarters of a billion dollars overseas! Transformers 3 was huge internationally, so was Iron Man 3. I agree with Spielberg and Lucas that the big Hollywood blockbuster is going to start to capsize soon. The budgets are becoming so huge and inflated that when a movie DOES bomb (Lone Ranger, White House Down, RIPD to name a few recent examples) the losses are enormous. They're losing literally hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars.

I remember reading a report that the one Harry Potter movie which made $900 million worldwide actually LOST the studio money because they spent so much on development and marketing, they had to rely on its eventual home video sales for profit. That's mindblowing.

EDIT: Here's the story http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/studio-shame-even-harry-potter-pic-loses-money-because-of-warner-bros-phony-baloney-accounting/