Lack of originality in movies.

arnold layne

Guest Len B'stard

People don't want originality...or art...they want to be entertained. Original movies exist they just aren't mainstream Hollywood. People want to be entertained, to relax in front of something, they don't want to be challenged. Hollywood is first and foremost a commercial enterprise, their priority is turning over profit, not being in the red. In the formative stages of Hollywood there was originality because a lot of ground was new, once genre conventions and archetypes were established and it can be ascertained what the people want, you give em it over and over and over and over and over...until such time as you become capable of manipulating what people want by way of weaning people on certain things, assigning identities to things i.e. action = for fellas, rom com = chick flick.

People want to be soothed not challenged.

I agree to an extent, Arnold. Few things are better than getting knocked on your ass by a film, and that is best achieved through originality, or at least something that sets it apart from everything else. My friends started bitching and crying because I didn't want to come see World War Z with them this summer. All I said was that I didn't want to pay to see a plot I have seen hundreds of times before unfold. Instead, I watched a Danish Dogme film, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself doing so.

We don't know the direction films are going to take, no one ever does.

We're at a time when books that would have been impossible and too expensive to do years ago, are possible now. One of the most difficult things they're all saying is trying to find a good screenplay to green light.

ANYONE can write a screenplay, but few can write one and pitch it to where people are going to write you a 6 figure check. The guy who's doing the Star Wars movies right now was rejected 40 times before he wrote "Little Miss Sunshine", but now he has an Oscar and a stockpile of ideas he can pull out, go through, revise, and try to develop. The way "Clerks" and "El Mariachi" was made, if digital video had existed at the time, probably would have saved a lot of time and wreaking havoc on credit card loans. I think Rodriguez was donating plasma to get some of his money... he has awesome "10 minute film school" on all his DVDs, even "Spy Kids".

Edited by dalsh327

People don't want originality...or art...they want to be entertained. Original movies exist they just aren't mainstream Hollywood. People want to be entertained, to relax in front of something, they don't want to be challenged. Hollywood is first and foremost a commercial enterprise, their priority is turning over profit, not being in the red. In the formative stages of Hollywood there was originality because a lot of ground was new, once genre conventions and archetypes were established and it can be ascertained what the people want, you give em it over and over and over and over and over...until such time as you become capable of manipulating what people want by way of weaning people on certain things, assigning identities to things i.e. action = for fellas, rom com = chick flick.

People want to be soothed not challenged.

I know film studies professors who couldn't have put is so well.