Prince

luciusfunk

Guest Len B'stard

I'm sure he's a talented chappie, i know he's good in like, quite a few aspects of the making of music, i just meant absolute shit as in the music is to me, I just ain't into it on any level, i'm sure he's a talented fella. I've probably only heard very little too, the whole just never did it for me, his look, his style, the few songs i've heard, his voice, just not really my cup of tea.

Lenny you strike me as the sort of guy that only likes shit that he liked after one listen. Seriously the fact that a punk and Gunners fan hates metal is a giant mindfuck to say the least.

Same goes with Prince. Really don't get how a guy that gives props to 60s soul, funk and Hendrix could hate Prince.

As for his look yeah he's always looked like a massive bender :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

I've NEVER liked Metal? I don't think Guns are metal over rock n roll, they are rock n roll with really very little metal. Blues based rock really. And their worst shit was when they were metalley (Coma for example) and their best unique shit that made em stand out from the crowd and be something special is their more bluesy or more rootsy sounding stuff. As for punk, thats just sped up Chuck Berry stuff, it's rock n roll really...unless you go outside to the meatier experimental stuff, which to me is the heart and soul of punk, the uniform punk never really cranked my cock much anyway.

Guns n Roses had a groove, you could wind your shit to GnRs music, calling it or lumping it in with Metal is such a disservice to it. A more accurate appraisal might be that i kinda cling to early impressions that sometimes take a long while to leave me. Like Prince, i remember Prince from being very little and like...when you get into certain music, like say for instance GnR it immediately puts Prince into a category where it's like...seperate from that. of course you get older and grow up and realise that music ain't some fuckin' war or whatever but sometimes those initial impressions you don't shed so quickly.

GnR, to me, were a rock n roll band in the way The Stones were and the further they got from that the crappier they got.

Edited by sugaraylen

Oh shit I ain't calling Guns or nothing metal but like you know the machismo, the aggression etc.

As for groove, shit like Pantera and Sabbath got plenty hence why is some of my favourite shit I mean given it ain't some booty shakin shit but there's obviously a deep pocket in there.

If by "absolute load of shit" you mean "the single most prolific and supernaturally gifted musician of the last 25 years" then I think you may have a point.

I'd take it even further by saying he's the greatest entertainer of the past 35 years, the man's performances on stage are legendary.

I'd highly recommend viewing the following video of his Syracuse concert to somewhat understand his various talents:

Prince_and_the_Revolution_Live_VHS.jpg

He fucked up big time losing Wendy and Lisa IMO.

Guest Len B'stard

See, the machismo and aggression bit, now i don't wanna hurt no one feelings here but...uh, how can i put this? There's only a certain kind of person that thinks metallers are like...some big macho masculine thing? :lol: Most people just reckon they're a bunch of long haired poofs :lol: Not trying to be insulting here, I had long hair through most of my 20s and will probably have it again at some point so I'm sure many have thought that about me too but it is what it is.

Like, you're hanging about on the street or whatever and like...there's a certain kind of person you look at and think, fuck me, he's probably a bit of a hardnut...they ain't usually metallers :lol: Metallers look kind of droopy and depressed and unhappy :lol:

Purple Rain tour live was some mindblowing shit. Irresistable Bitch on that tour was incredible.

Prince is my favourite musician ever. I've heard every single album, demo and unreleased track that exists and he still never ceases to amaze me.

Whats the best album that you'd reccomend to someone new to him?

Purple Rain is as good a starting point as any.

Of course he looks like a ponce, but didn't everyone in the 80s? Have you seen the Welcome To The Jungle music video?

These days, I actually encourage a lot of people to start with either O+-> or Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic.

Purple Rain is as good a starting point as any.

Of course he looks like a ponce, but didn't everyone in the 80s? Have you seen the Welcome To The Jungle music video?

These days, I actually encourage a lot of people to start with either O+-> or Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic.

Way too hardcore a fan. :lol: Id go one album back and say Diamonds and Pearls or Parade.

Yup, every time I watch a Heroes rerun I think about them and what could have been. The water was warm enough for several more albums. ;)

HAHAHA great minds think alike! I was literally just about to edit my post and say the water was warm enough. What a pair of massive poofs! :lol:

Yup, every time I watch a Heroes rerun I think about them and what could have been. The water was warm enough for several more albums. ;)

HAHAHA great minds think alike! I was literally just about to edit my post and say the water was warm enough. What a pair of massive poofs! :lol:

Purple Rain is the best album for a beginner. If you don't like Purple Rain, chances are you are not going to like any of his music ever. Whereas there are plenty of massive Prince fans I know who dislike some of his other more famous albums.

I don't know a single Prince fan that dislikes Purple Rain. Like someone else said, PR is his AFD (it really is that good).

Whoever said Diamonds & Pearls should be shot.

Edited by Towelie

Purple Rain is the best album for a beginner. If you don't like Purple Rain, chances are you are not going to like any of his music ever. Whereas there are plenty of massive Prince fans I know who dislike some of his other more famous albums.

I don't know a single Prince fan that dislikes Purple Rain. Like someone else said, PR is his AFD (it really is that good).

Whoever said Diamonds & Pearls should be shot.

I wasn't the one that mentioned Diamonds, but I like that album a lot more than others. There's quirky stuff on there like Walk Don't Walk that I really dig, besides the hits.

Lenny, I suggest you go back even earlier and check out his early stuff. It might be more up your ally. Less pop and more RnB. More of a harder version of Michael Jackson.

Prince, Dirty Minds and Controversy. I love all three of these albums. Len - check them out. And 1999 of course, that's the album that really broke his career.

When Dove's Cry (he is playing the guitar on it) and Little Red Corvette are some pretty classic Prince songs that you might like.

Guest Len B'stard

Listened to Purple Rain, up to Darling Nikki so far...y'know, it's actually not half bad :) Hasn't exactly blown my mind but on first listen it's good solid catchy stuff that sticks in your mind.

And thanks Groghan, i shall check em out :)

That self titled is one fucking sick album though.

Listened to Purple Rain, up to Darling Nikki so far...y'know, it's actually not half bad :) Hasn't exactly blown my mind but on first listen it's good solid catchy stuff that sticks in your mind.

And thanks Groghan, i shall check em out :)

The Beautiful Ones bruv, The Beautiful Ones. .... when he's screaming his fucking lungs out at the end, that's the money right there. Just pure fucking catharsis.