Prince

luciusfunk

Still not on there...

It didn't show up on Ticketmaster until like 1 min before the on sale time when he played here.

Well this page says prices will be announced before the sale time. I guess 1 minute is enough time for people :lol:

The way this concert is named and promoted makes it sound like a benefit concert with multiple artists, and it does say other artists will attend, but I'm still not sure if it's just mainly Prince & 3rdEyeGirl with some other special guests or what? I don't know. Just hope I can get decent tickets.

EDIT: Up now. Most expensive ticket is just shy of $500. How nice for a "Peace" show in Baltimore :rolleyes:

Cheapest ticket is $22, but still..

Pretty excited for Sunday. The arena is fairly small from what I remember, so I'm thinking my view will be pretty good. Hope so! Taking my mom for mothers day.

Will be excited to see if there will be any special guest performers too, which some reports hinted at.

You worked it out so you can go?

That's great. He was amazing a couple weeks ago.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Quite enjoying these HitNRun releases. I like how different they are. At first I hated Phase One and was convinced Prince was having a midlife crisis, getting Rita Ora to feature on the record and having it produced by some EDM kid with a laptop. But as is usually the case with Prince, my initial misgivings gave way and I now really enjoy the album from beginning to end, and probably prefer it to Art Official Age.

I'm still getting to know Phase 2, but I like how he's done a compete 180 and made a really organic, analogue sounding album, full of horns and real instruments. Is there seriously another artist out there who has this level of diversity?

I think both Phases are kind of a let down. Art Official Age was a great return to form and this is more in line with the execrable 20Ten album. You can tell he's just chucking shit out.

Nah, I see it the other way. Art Official Age had a handful of decent tracks, but was mostly a let down. The whole mid-section of the album was uninspired and boring. Stuff like Big City, 1000 Hugs & Kisses, RNR Love Affair, Look At Me, Stare and Hardrocklover are better than anything on AOA imo.

Edited by Towelie

I think U Know, This Could Be Us, Breakdown, Time and Breakfast Can Wait were some of his strongest tracks in years. Hit n Run just didn't have as many standouts for me, and some of the better tracks on Phase 2 were already released as digital singles, so maybe that's why I wasn't as impressed. It's kind of like he just tossed a mixed bag together for Tidal and didn't care too much.

I've said this before: if you took select tracks from each album he's done over the last 20 years, and made a one or preferably two-disc Best Of compilation, it would stand with some of his best work, period. But because he releases stuff so frequently and the full LPs are often so inconsistent, the general public has just lost interest.

I think U Know, This Could Be Us, Breakdown, Time and Breakfast Can Wait were some of his strongest tracks in years. Hit n Run just didn't have as many standouts for me, and some of the better tracks on Phase 2 were already released as digital singles, so maybe that's why I wasn't as impressed. It's kind of like he just tossed a mixed bag together for Tidal and didn't care too much.

I've said this before: if you took select tracks from each album he's done over the last 20 years, and made a one or preferably two-disc Best Of compilation, it would stand with some of his best work, period. But because he releases stuff so frequently and the full LPs are often so inconsistent, the general public has just lost interest.

The only song from that list that I rate is Breakdown. Breakfast Can Wait and U Know in particular are audible diarrhoea.

Stuff like the exquisite Look At Me, Black Muse, Stare and Big City piss all over Art Official Age in its entirety. Have you listened to the horns on his album? Amazing horn work. I have no issues with him including previously released singles, okay, we've heard them before, but stuff like Screwdriver and RNR Love Affair are two of his best singles in years and deserved to be on an album. And it's not like he just tacked on any old shit to fill it up, beginning to end this album flows and has a sound of its own. I think it's very easy to look at the tracklist and think "meh, heard half of that before", but the non-singles are just as strong if you give them time.

I would say Hit N Run Phase 2 in its entirety is his most satisfying release since The Rainbow Children, and probably amongst his five best post-80s albums (alongside Love Symbol, Planet Earth, Rave and The Rainbow Children).

Edited by Towelie