Is The Prodigy popular in the States ?

MishoGunsNRoses

Big, no. But honestly the US market is so diverse that nobody is really that BIG anymore. Not like the old days. Even in the 90's Prodigy weren't big, not gnr or nirvana big. They are more of a cult group. Yes they were bigger in the 90's than today, but at no point would I say they were big.

The biggest groups or artists today in the US imo (no particular order)

Kanye West (biggest rapper)

Taylor Swift (biggest pop/country star)

Avenged Sevenfold (biggest newer rock group)

Phish (biggest hippe group)

Dave Mathews Band (Biggest group amoung 20 to 30 somethings)

Metallica (biggest older rock band)

I may be missing one or two, any other yanks got anyone they want to add?

Guest Len B'stard

It was big where I live back in 1995. Is it still big anywhere?

Nope. Great while they lasted though, even if the lead singer is a massive Johnny Rotten rip off.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

You could say that they are big in Europe, specially among the Festival people, they still burn and slash. Fucking huge in Serbia, UK, Croatia, Holland, etc. I've grown quite found of them in the past few years. Love the adrenalin and they are good at firing up the crowd.

Keith Moon is a legend...and so are you for liking him :)

They are one of those bands the yanks did not like, Oasis being another one - well, really the whole britpop thing. Madchester also. And - and this is where the Prodigy come in - anything a bit, 'ravey'. America never had a significent rave scene like the UK. Conversely, the Brits never took to Aerosmith and Kiss during their 70s heyday as well as, ehh, Dave Matthew's Band. Aerosmith came to Britain in, I think, 1975 and they were laughed off stage for being a bunch of Stones' rips. Kiss were simply laughed-off. (Weirdly, Britain loved Kiss when America hated Kiss: during the whole '80s Crazy Nights era!).

About the Prodigy in Britain, they sort of disappeared after Fat of the Land. I know they spent an Axl Rose amount of time working on a follow-up.

Edited by DieselDaisy

They are one of those bands the yanks did not like, Oasis being another one - well, really the whole britpop thing. Madchester also. And - and this is where the Prodigy come in - anything a bit, 'ravey'. America never had a significent rave scene like the UK. Conversely, the Brits never took to Aerosmith and Kiss during their 70s heyday as well as, ehh, Dave Matthew's Band. Aerosmith came to Britain in, I think, 1975 and they were laughed off stage for being a bunch of Stones' rips. Kiss were simply laughed-off. (Weirdly, Britain loved Kiss when America hated Kiss: during the whole '80s Crazy Nights era!).

About the Prodigy in Britain, they sort of disappeared after Fat of the Land. I know they spent an Axl Rose amount of time working on a follow-up.

Yes one of those bands that yanks didn't like, Stone Roses etc. Fat of the land was huge everywhere, Invaders Must Die(last album) was big in EU. But not KANYE West commercially big or shit like that, hard sound, good tour, good sales. Invaders must die; Omen; Take me to the hospital and Thunder are rly good.

Guest Len B'stard

Yanks catch onto everything late cuz they got a massive population to account for. It's like they never really got mainstream into punk when it was punk era so they ended up following suit 20 years later with grunge. As far as like, dance music and that Americas pop music has only recently turned dance (with dance beats effecting aspects of hip hop too) in the last few years, David Guetta and Rihannas songs being all dancey and all that, when the rest of the world was into it in the 90s it was sort of a fringe thing i think, simply cuz there's so much to the country it's difficult to spread a thing THAT fuckin' quickly.

I mean look at hip hop, despite mainstream exposure and all of that shit it still took a good decade for America to really make hip hop a part of their mainstream culture.

As far as The Roses, fuck that, a place like America was never gonna like The Roses, just in a straight ahead audio sense. I mean, The Beatles made frilly melodic pop songs and they garnered attention in the 60s, by the 80s your average American rock listening lad was probably more like a metallar and they ain't gonna fuckin' have The Roses, no way.

Part of The Roseses thing was that they were not soft lads but they made this really sort of sweet melodic pop music, that juxtaposition wouldn't go over well in America, they'd probably think they were a bunch of poofs with funny accents, i don't think you could REALLY expect to sell what borders on 60s revivalist stuff to Americans in the the late 80s, hip hop was fuckin' blowing up then, they had better things to do than listen to a bunch of manc's tryna do a take on The Byrds with a dance twist.

Guest Len B'stard

They were at their best when they were doing like No Good (start the dance) and Poison. Still my two favorite tracks by them. Firestarter is good but the lyrics are a bit corny as you get older. Same with Breathe. Smack My Bitch Up is timeless though.

Edited by sugaraylen

In the 90's UK ravers were like from 14 to 20 years old,a lot of people from that generation died or just grown out of it by the late 90's so The Prodigy didn't have who to reach out to, you don't sit at home with a baby in the next room sleeping and you blasting prodigy in the next. From 2000 and on almost every country in the Europe had huge festival with a tendency for more dance and electronic sound, suddenly e generation came to life. They found a new generation for their music.

If you still want to feel the rush check out "Invaders must die".