Unreleased 1991 interview with Nirvana discussing GN'R

hellobeatle

Cool interview. It's Interview 1 here: http://www.caughtinthecrossfire.com/music/nirvana-the-james-sherry-interview-tapes/

GNR talk starts at 17:55.

- They criticize the band as one who probably didn't care about the fans killed at Doningham.

- Kurt said he likes Axl's rebel behavior.

- Kurt is interested in idea of touring with them.

Cool interview. It's Interview 1 here: http://www.caughtinthecrossfire.com/music/nirvana-the-james-sherry-interview-tapes/

GNR talk starts at 17:55.

- They criticize the band as one who probably didn't care about the fans killed at Doningham.

- Kurt said he likes Axl's rebel behavior.

- Kurt is interested in idea of touring with them.

I highly doubt they didn't care about what happened at Doningham.

Nirvana was brutal. Couple of neat songs but Cocaine er Cobain was so beyond brain fried he had no idea what he was saying. Dave musta kept it together as he's done alright with Fioos. Hard to believe but yes- pretty sure Kurt did more drugs than Axl.

As much as I like Nirvana, I feel like the only reason they were considering a tour with GNR at the time of this interview is cause this was before the Teen Spirit video came out so they were willing to jump at any chance of making it big.

Once that video came out and Nirvana exploded, they most likely saw no reason to tour with GNR cause they probably felt like they didn't need to. They were big enough already.

With that being said, it's nice to see Kurt saying something nice about GNR for once (referring to when he said that he liked their rebel attitude). A biography written about him also has a quote where he admits that he likes how GNR find a way to fix a problem they create, while he and Nirvana would just ignore their issues and therefore make them worse.

Used to really like Nirvana, listened to them lately and could only stomach about 30mins... out of tune, misreable and dirgy.

Too old for teenage angst music now.

They were great times though, you could switch from the bedroom rock of Nirvana to the brutal assault of Slayer to the huge tunes on the UYIs.

Do kids these days have that spectrum of rock?

Back then, I was in my early teens. I was fascinated by GnR and everything that they did. When I got into my mid 20s and now in my early 30's. I have a much more appreciation for what Nirvana accomplished than what GnR did in the 90's from a grand scheme of things. Looking back, GnR were a bit bloated and sort of cheesey. Just my opinion.

Back then, I was in my early teens. I was fascinated by GnR and everything that they did. When I got into my mid 20s and now in my early 30's. I have a much more appreciation for what Nirvana accomplished than what GnR did in the 90's from a grand scheme of things. Looking back, GnR were a bit bloated and sort of cheesey. Just my opinion.

Grohl said he loved AFD, but when UYI came out, it was thought of it as a colossal joke.

Cobain trash talked a lot, and the segment in the Pearl Jam documentary brought up that he could be relentless one minute but then later on , not be so harsh about it. It's just that you have a segment of their fans that follow him to the letter and sycophantic about it. Kurt and Axl came from the same dysfunctional world, it's just that Cobain was at the right place, right time, and GNR had to fight every step of the way for their success.

I get Kurt was trying to be the little David against the Big Goliaths, but he also admitted he was full of crap most of the time and was having fun taking potshots.

You want to talk dysfunctional bands - how many drummers did Nirvana go through??

• Like 1

I just can't stand it when accusations are made like "they probably didn't even care"... I'm aware nirvana were all pretty young at that point but it's an unnecessary low blow. The band cared a lot, they wanted to stop but they were obviously told to continue... there's a reason Axl is such a demon about fans throwing things or fans fighting or surging... he cares a lot! probably more than most give him credit.

Hard to believe but yes- pretty sure Kurt did more drugs than Axl.

Huh? That's not hard to believe at all. Kurt was a full-blown heroinist while Axl has never been known for his drug use.

As for the band not caring about Donnington. That's pure speculation. Here's what they said about the incident:

Duff, minutes after the concert: I think our performance is kind of secondary to what's happening in the crowd. They have casualties here. Were you out there at all? I think I saw a casualty happen. It was really weird. It was really strange. We had to stop the show. The P.A. system is kind of screwed up and you don't get time to have a good sound check so we couldn't really hear ourselves but we pulled it off. I think we did a good show. But I'm still stunned at the size of the audience and what was happening up front. It was real scary. We all went like, "woah!" [...] It was kids piled on kids horizontal on the ground. They were unconscious. And more people kept on falling on them. I saw them! It took about 20 minutes to get everybody out. We stopped the show and they finally pulled the last couple of people out and I think they were dead. It was really weird. I saw no life in those bodies at all. [...] ['Patience's] on the EP. The crowd needed to settle down and that's a song that says, "ok, everybody relax and listen"[slash-and-duff#5268">Interview with Duff, Minutes after the concert]

Duff: The band were really brought down by the event. And we did try to stop the craziness down the front by changing our set, slowing things down, I actually don’t know it the accident was our fault or not. If someone were to ask me face-to-face whether Guns n’ Roses were to blame, I couldn’t say with any conviction that we’re not. I don’t think we can be held responsible, but I’d have to think very hard before giving an answer. Maybe we have to take some of the blame. After all, we were onstage when those kids died, and had Guns n’ Roses not existed then perhaps the tragedy wouldn’t have occurred.

It weighs very heavily on us and whatever anyone else may write or say about the incident can’t make us feel any worse. Quite honestly, we couldn’t give a fuck about the media trying to make us the scapegoats. That thing will haunt me forever anyway.

It’s strange, but tragedy and pain do seem to dog our career, A lot of weird shit happens to this band. We seem to attract it. I dunno, I can’t help wondering if the reason why Slash and Izzy were so strung out on certain ‘substances’ recently (they’re now cleaned out and revved up) was their way of attempting to hide and numb the pain they felt [Raw Magazine - "Mad, Bad and Dangerous To Know?", 1989.07.28]

Izzy: That was... very strange. I mean, I saw it all go down. I stopped the gig three times. Kids were lookin' at me, givin' me this real intense look, like "something really, really bad is going down." You could read it all in their faces. I tried to stop the band... like three times... but they just kept playing, y'know on and on. Then I turned around and I could see the bodies being pulled out [The Face - "The Daze of Guns N' Roses", January 1990]

Slash: We stopped the show a couple of times at Donnington - a big racetrack in England - when things started getting out of hand. It was people as far as you could see. It rained; people would fall over and asphyxiate in the mud. We didn't know that a couple of people died untill after the show [slash - The Hands Behind the Hype, December 1991]

Steven: Donnington was the worst show we've ever played. You don't know what's happening so you can't stop it [The Days of Wine and Roses, Classic Rock, April 2005]

I just think from their point of view, stopping the show wasn't an option and they had no idea how to handle something like that. It came off as asshole rock stars only about the money because they didn't try to reach out to the families. Axl "hits" someone with a mic and they're getting dental bills paid, but you're talking about young guys and the thoughts of the crowd turning on the band in a worst case situation. They're also playing for their lives at that point.

It doesn't take much for a crowd to swallow up the stage and rip the band apart.

What would Kurt have done if a riot broke out at a Nirvana concert? Curled up in Courtney's lap and done more heroin?

The band cared a lot, they wanted to stop but they were obviously told to continue...

Uhhh, they didn't find out just what had happened until after the gig.

And Kurt never really said anything positive about GNR. He said it would fun to tour with them as a joke. Just to see how ridiculous it is.

Edited by Rustycage