Your memories of purchasing the Use Your Illusion albums in 1991-24 years ago today!

Subtle Signs

I have both long boxes and it's the items i most like in my collection

Now I'm trying to remember if TSI came in a long box? I'm thinking they would have been long gone by the time of Live Era.

I think the last long box was the one for the Illusion albums. Later on that did a special longbox for Live Era though. I don't think there was one for Spaghetti.

Speaking about Long Boxes, i always feel like opening mine. They're still closed.

Should i open them? Is it about time to open them? Wouldn't it be funny if the cds inside weren't working properly? Wouldn't it be funny if i went to the store and did a complaint of cds that i bought 1000 years ago? hahaha

I bought both albums on cassette the day they came out, walked back to the car (I was just 18yo) and listened in the shopping centre car park. The albums weren't what I expected at all. The band that could do no wrong was no more. I still like some of the songs but it was a mash up and a bit of a mess.

When I first listened to UYI I thought this band was so cool and the band were like "we don't give a fuck what the world thinks about us"...It was so raw and dangerous :headbang:I mean the whole image of the band was so new and cool..Slash with his tophat and Jack and Daniels bottle, Axl and his raw voice and so on...Let me give you an example: It was the same feeling when I first saw Ridley Scott's Alien(1979) movie and people were shocked about the alien monster..It was new and that had never been seen before...shocking but enjoyable at the same time :lol:

Edited by gunnari

My first contact with UYIs came through casette. Substitute teacher of our elementary school colledted CDs and would always deliver us copies of stuff if we gave him empty tapes. So I got a mix tape of UYIs and some other GNR stuff.

I wish I was part of this. Alas, I was not. I got into Gn'R the following year. I was 9 years old. I went to Greece, actually, and there were some metalheads out there who used to sit in the town square and headbang to Metallica, Guns, Def Leppard, Pantera, and a few others. I came back to America that summer and my sister bought Appetite, Metallica's self-titled, and Def Leppard's Hysteria (all on tape). That was it for me. My love affair with rock and roll began, particularly Guns N' Roses, which by this time was all over the MTV airwaves.

It's sad that due to the advent of digital technologies, this type of midnight madness for new records is dead and gone. And unfortunately, video games and any physical media that can now be digital will eventually become just that. There is so much to be said for the camaraderie and the suspense of waiting in line to get that new piece of software.

My memory of the Illusions discs ...

I bought Use Your Illusion 1 in '92 for this girl's birthday. I was into her at the time. You know, young puppy love. I got her the Illusions record and a bouquet of red roses and showed up at her house on my bicycle on a Saturday morning. She loved it. In fact, she was into rock music before I was due to the influence of her older bro.

Ah, the '90s.

wow..In Greece metall/you are lucky .Mostly here they are hearing Greek pop music

I waited outside our local record store in line outside and purchased both on cd. I then drove around for quite a while cranking up the tunes. This was a great time, so much excitement and buzz for these albums. It's kind of sad now, all the records shops are out of business and no one buys CDs anymore. I'm glad I experienced it.

I waited outside our local record store in line outside and purchased both on cd. I then drove around for quite a while cranking up the tunes. This was a great time, so much excitement and buzz for these albums. It's kind of sad now, all the records shops are out of business and no one buys CDs anymore. I'm glad I experienced it.

I hear ya man. That experience is dying out. I don't buy MP3's. I still like to have the CD and look at the artwork.

I was on a field trip and we stopped at the Eaton Centre (biggest mall in Toronto). I ditched the trip so I could dart off to the nearest music store and pick them up. Ended up missing the bus when it left. Got in a lot of trouble. Was way worth it.

I was on a field trip and we stopped at the Eaton Centre (biggest mall in Toronto). I ditched the trip so I could dart off to the nearest music store and pick them up. Ended up missing the bus when it left. Got in a lot of trouble. Was way worth it.

What a great story!

Yeah... love it!

I bought the cassettes from Kmart at Eastland, Aus, with my work experience money. My brother and I then found that Brashs were selling the Australian celebration edition (Gold picture disc with Coma T/shirt) a little while afterwards, so he bought UYI II and I purchased UYI I. The cassettes were well used and are long gone, but we still have our celebration edition boxes. I have even managed to curb the urge and keep mine sealed.

That's a great story :lol:

I wasn't around in '91, but I got my UYI cds from my Uncle on Christmas years and years ago, back in '02 when I first got into GN'R. Didn't get the albums on vinyl until last year when my girlfriend gave them to me as a birthday gift.

Who remembers how awesome it was to buy the Illusions in 91? Did your town have a midnight madness sale? Share your memories of purchasing the Illusions in 91. Did you get them on CD or Cassette?

This video brings back so many memories. I kept my longboxes for a long time after buying the CDs.

Guns N' Roses Use Your Illusion Midnight Release September 17, 1991

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QCLOaTiGKM

"It was supposed to come back in July, June, January, all of last year" :lol: That's the GN'R I know and love

It was an amazing fun night. My band and dorm mates all loaded up and went to the mall..where there was a tail gate party going on. We were drinking about 9pm. It was amazing to see .. there were metal heads, shitkickers, punks, geeks , jocks and other things that might have been people I dont know ..it was strange to witness.

We had dressed up like GNR and all these high school girls were having thier pictures taken with us. GNR was blaring out across the parking lot. Civil War and You Could Be Mine had been released earlier that summer and someone kept playing that over and over...

It was cold as hell that night and as the night got up towards midnight people just came out of no where. The whole fucking town just showed up and filled the parking lot up. It was insane as people started to line up! It was a great big party and the atmosphere was over the top.

Some chicks started fighting so we jumped to the front of the line. I got the 4th UYI 1 and 2 CDs sold in Wyoming at 12:03 AM...if not Wyoming then Casper..not many places in the American Outback stayed open for this event. ( and the 1st one of Chinese Democracy in Loveland Colorado in 2008 according to the Best Buy manager)

• 1 year later...

They are 2 albums. I remember I bought UYI 1 tape and UYI 2 CD. The thing is I played that tape so much that I screw it up at some point. So I bought the CD later anyway. But I still keep that tape. Before that I got AFD and Lies tapes as well, same story. So I bought the CDs later and I still keep those fucked up tapes. I was growing up in those days going from teenage years into adulthood. I have many memories of many things going on in my life at the time attached to those tapes. I can´t get rid of them.

man this could have been me typing this word for word but i was 15.cant get rid of them either for the same damn reason

They are 2 albums. I remember I bought UYI 1 tape and UYI 2 CD. The thing is I played that tape so much that I screw it up at some point. So I bought the CD later anyway. But I still keep that tape. Before that I got AFD and Lies tapes as well, same story. So I bought the CDs later and I still keep those fucked up tapes. I was growing up in those days going from teenage years into adulthood. I have many memories of many things going on in my life at the time attached to those tapes. I can´t get rid of them.

man this could have been me typing this word for word but i was 15.cant get rid of them either for the same damn reason

lots of us here in the same boat.. i used to copy my albums onto 90 minute BASF tapes and wear them out instead.

who remembers using a pen to rewind your tapes so you wouldn't waste your Walkman batteries?

• Like 1

I skipped school to go to hmv. Nobody was there. But there was this big display. It was kind of embarrasing. The girl at the counter rolled her eyes at me and I paid and shuffled off home. Put it on and RNDTH blew my mind, so I kept rewinding the tape to listen to it. Dust N Bones was so different that I couldn't get past it. I kept the tapes in my pocket at school and would read the lyrics in class.

• Like 2