Eric Clapton

Snake-Pit

Great guitar player, absolute dickhead of a human being.

Maybe but he, above everyone else, was responsible for making Robert Johnson's greatness be known, so he's cool in my book.

Playing wise, he's a very tasteful guitar player and his melodic ear is impressive but sometimes he can be a bit boring to listen to when he loses direction. He's also too safe in his playing imo. Not a risk taker, especially live.

Edited by Rovim

Maybe but he, above everyone else was responsible for making Robert Johnson's greatness be known, so he's cool in my book.

Off-topic - I think that was inevitable though, eg. Bob Dylan told the story of receiving a copy of King Of The Delta Blues Singers from John Hammond Snr (the guy who signed him to Columbia) before that album was released and how blown away by it he was.

Maybe but he, above everyone else was responsible for making Robert Johnson's greatness be known, so he's cool in my book.

Off-topic - I think that was inevitable though, eg. Bob Dylan told the story of receiving a copy of King Of The Delta Blues Singers from John Hammond Snr (the guy who signed him to Columbia) before that album was released and how blown away by it he was.

He told a story. Clapton did much more then that imo. But that's cool.

Guest Len B'stard

Maybe but he, above everyone else, was responsible for making Robert Johnson's greatness be known, so he's cool in my book.

Playing wise, he's a very tasteful guitar player and his melodic ear is impressive but sometimes he can be a bit boring to listen to when he loses direction. He's also too safe in his playing imo. Not a risk taker, especially live.

Well i hope the bastard coon is grateful, wherever he is :lol: Although i wasn't and am still not aware of his being responsible for making Robert Johnsons greatness be known, i'd appreciate it greatly if someone could explain to me how. I've always thought Robert Johnson was known cuz he was Robert Johnson.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Very few people can do what he can with a guitar. His phrasing, his tone, his bends, his picking. If you play lead guitar, you have to go thru the Clapton phase.

Do you not find it a little textbook though?

I like Eric but I am more into Jimi and Jeff's work (of guitarists of that era that is). I like Clapton best in the Bluesbreakers, Cream and DATD. From some point in the mid 70s however he became very, beige, very, middle class and dull. That live album is superb, Rainbow 1973. I think Townsend arranged the event to get Clapton off the sauce.

Guest Len B'stard

My biggest gripe with Clapton is that his music is very…neat, very orderly, very classical, in the worst sense of the world classical, his timing is perfect, his playing is crisp, his tone is great but it's all so very very typical too, there appears to be nothing of himself to it, like the way Jimi added colour and flair and was recognisable a mile off, Clapton has no flair or imagination it seems, beige was perfect description by Dies' up there.

A good yardstick of this is to look how they handle covers….on the one hand Clapton takes I Shot the Sheriff and effectively sterilises it…Hendrix on the other hand takes Let The Good Times Roll or All Along the Watchtower and it's like….what!?!?!?! How the fuck did he hear THAT from those songs?

This is why I will never rate Clapton as among the great blues guitarists like Son House or Muddy Waters or Wolf or BB King or Robert Johnson or Jimi Hendrix (yes, i rate him as a great of the blues, perhaps the last of em in fact)…he didn't add anything, musically speaking, of his own to the genre.

I've never been big on Clapton. I like Cream, but I actually think he's the weakest of the three members (granted, Baker and Bruce are amazing at their respective instruments). I definitely think he peaked with Layla, which has some amazing guitar work. Can't get into his pre-Cream or post-Derek and the Dominos music much at all, though. Don't really get the love.

Cocaine! I like Cream more than just Clapton. His MTV Unplugged is damn good though.

Cocain and Sunshine of Your Love sound too much alike, to me, music wise, though one's got a different groove to it, they're both okay; I just prefer Sunshine of Your Love because the sound of the guitar/it's tone; despite them having the exact same notes in both of their signature riffs (I swear it).

Edited by Snake-Pit