5 Years of Chinese Democracy

wfuckinga

1. Chinese Democracy - When I first heard it I was just sorta like "meh" It's definitely grown on me though. Good way to start the album but I don't think it shoulda been the 1st single, too safe.

2. Shackler's - Not really crazy about this one. Sorta interesting how it jumps around though.

3. Better - Great track, lyrics are pretty good too, "so bitter sweet this tragedy, won't ask for absolution, this melody inside of me still searches for solution" One of the "better" tracks (sorry...for you, not sorry for me, okay I'll stop now)

4. Street of Dreams - Really like this one, has more of a classic feel to it. Guitars are a bit more restrained and it works well.

5. If the World - I'm sorta torn on this one. I like how it adds to the variety of the album. I don't really love or hate it, it's just sorta mellow and there.

6. TWAT - Another of the stronger tracks, dat Bucket solo.

7. Catcher - I prefer the Demo with May, felt like the song had a much more consistent tone, BBF clashes a bit but I don't think he ruined it, just changes the tone of it slightly. Still, one of the better tracks.

8. Scraped - Pass

9. Riad - I don't hate Riad but it's a song you sorta need to be in the mood to listen to, can be overbearing.

10. Sorry - A decent track. I feel like ITF it's another track that adds a bit of another element to the album but I do like it better than ITF.

11. I.R.S. - Sort of a breath of fresh air after the last three. Not my absolute favorite or anything but it's a sorta fun, catchy track, epic scream towards the end.

12. Madagascar - One of my favorite tracks. It's a bit over the top with the quotes but I think that's partially what makes it. I can understand why people wouldn't like it though.

13. This I Love - A bit melodramatic but I still really like this song. Finck's solo cutting in is just rock4 and takes it to another level.

14. Prostitute - Perfect ending track. Love the way the guitar takes the track higher and higher. One of the more cohesive songs on the album as well, everything just works well in it. The outro is nice, it's like a storm finally passed and you're walking outside to see that the sun is still up and everything is okay, or some shit.

I mean I know it's not the album everyone wanted but in terms of direction I'm glad this is where Axl took things. CD, Better, SoD, TWAT, Catcher, IRS, Maddy, TIL, Prostitute are probably the tracks I like most.

Edited by jbhutto

I was VERY disappointed with this album..Whoever claims it is a masterpiece is on drugs..seriously, it is NOT!! Only decent tracks are Better and Shackler's, others u can flush from the toilet..This is Axl's solo album..I just don't hear any Guns N' Roses in it..HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!

Kind of surprised so many of you actually like this record...I mean the music is so strange and awfull...Axl's voice is weak, lyrics are embarrassing, overproduction all over the place..the list is endless..This album is without the soul..I don't even want to listen to it..This album is easy to forget..I give it 4/10

I don't know what the fuck was on Axl's mind when he made this album..IT IS SHIT!!! FUCKING HORRIBLE GARBAGE!!

:vomit:

Sorry but that is the way I feel about this record..opinions suck I know :lol:

Edited by gunnari

Axl told us in the chats that he was disingenuously encouraged by Slash to include My World on the final cut of UYI2 in order to publicly humiliate him.

That story is one of the more disturbing stories from Axl.

No offence to him but it just sounds so paranoid.

Slash would have to be some kind of evil genius to be clever enough to be the junky he was yet also subtly masterminding an evil scheme to make Axl lose face creatively with the hard rock public.

To me it's a lot more plausible that Axl became interested in electronic music and so produced "My World".

Meanwhile he played it to Slash - who naturally hated it because he wants all his bands to be guitar oriented classic rock - however Slash was diplomatic (i guess a 'lie') and said it was good - not because of some secret agenda - but because UYI was already 2 years late and because he knows Axl is sensitive and may have been offended at Slash shitting on what is clearly a personal project for him.

In short - the band probably didn't like it - but did they not like it enough to fuck up the whole UYI release over it? Or is it easier in an album full of varied pieces anyway to just let Axl put it on the end to keep him happy.

Seems much more plausible to me than some long-term conspiracy from guys with the drug intake of Slash/Duff etc in the 1990s.

5 years later and I still can't find anything to like about CitR. Outside of that one track, it's easily my favorite GN'R album.

Do you feel that way about the demo too?

I'm curious because to me the early version seemed more piano led and really showcased the melody, lyrics and structure of the songwriting more than the final version.

The final version was good in that it's more cohesive with the rest of the album. It sounds like the same "band" in that it's now got as many parts and as much production as the other tracks - while the demo sounded like a much more simple arrangement and line up.

I remember a story about Duff partying with NWA and playing them My World and everyone loving it?

For me CD is great because it has all those elements from UYI with hints of classic rock like The Stones and Zepp but also 90s influences and production of NIN, Faith No More, Nirvana, Korn. Maybe for some it's stretched to wide but I like that I can get Korn and Floyd elements on one album with great songs dynamics. There's lots to discover and enjoy on the album and you can keep coming back over and over.

• Like 3

I really dug it when it came out, and I still dig it however in time I like it a bit less. It just didn't have enough of a musical impact on me over the past 5 years to really be passionate about it. Nowadays I just view it as some great songwriting that was clouded and hindered by overproduction

Where does it land in my assessment of the full GNR output? Honestly I would put it above TSI? but not above any other album. Appetite, Lies, and the Illusions are where its at, especially Appetite

Edited by WhazUp

There's just very few album which have much on them. Where you listen to one track and think that was great then something completely different starts up and thats also great. Shackler's is like a more rock n roll Korn. I like some Korn but it lacks that awesome feeling that GNR or ACDC give you. It's a simple idea but I have pretty conservative taste. Maybe CD is a record that should have been made 20 years from now by another band, but GNR made it and that's pretty cool.

i think this also depends on how old you are,what kind of music you've been exposed to….

we all have our 1 or 2 albums that goes into our DNA.

for me,it's appetite.

but I'm 40.

if young i can see how CD can become "the best album ever".

I think the themes of CD seem to be more about being older. Kids now are into Paramore and dub step? i dunno CD seems like it's for 35-40 year olds looking back think my 2nd ex wife was a real bitch but I don't care anymore. I'm rebel alliance and I'm going to storm some imperial pussy.

sounds good,wasted.good luck and have fun.

i was married and it sucked the life out of me.

and she ended up with most of my money(not a lot to begin with but still…).

but you don't relate to CD?

I guess you might not want a soundtrack to misery. I'm quite voyeuristic, so I see music like a movie. I just don't see 20-somethings giving a shit about the themes of CD.

Reorganising the songs on CD for more impact is like reorganising the corn in a turd.

Its still a turd no matter what way those corns peep out.

14 songs for $13M in 15 years...

That's almost $929 GRAND and 391 days of work to deliver "Scrapped" alone.

Patience was written by the old band in ONE NIGHT.

That is all.

re wasted,i don't think i was clear.

i do relate to CD and like the album.

it's like a journey through Axl's inner demons and there are good songs(TWAT,catcher).

what i do not like is that it's a GNR album.

GNR for me=slash,izzy,duff,steven,axl.

it's a great Axl Rose album.

To me because it was started under the GNR banner and is kind of about the break up or songs Axl would have done with those guys if they had stayed. The GNR infrastructure remained. The fact that he shouldn't have done it makes it more GNR to me.

Imagine if the next album is called W. A. R.

That would be messed up, let's do that! Memo to Lord Axl. We have new objectives and directives.