What is your interpretation of Prostitute?

axldoyle

The song is clearly about All prostituting himself but do you guys think he is referring to the old band or a past lover? My favourite part of the song is "forgive what you have, for what you might lose" I think that's lyricism at its finest, why do people hate on ChiDem so much?!?

Wasn't there speculation some of it was about Dylan?

In what way? Who would be the prostitute in that scenario? I think it's a very thought out song which at face value just seems like another bitter jibe but I think it runs slightly deeper than that, most of the time his lyrics are misconstrued IMO.

I think the theme of the song is straightforward:

"Why I would choose
To prostitute myself
To live with fortune and shame"

He could choose to sell out and please his detractors ("those that laugh in my face"), leaving him with a lot of money/fortune, but also shame/lack of integrity/etc.

There are many lines though that I can't really place a meaning on.

"Ask yourself why I choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame."

I think that's how Axl may feel if he were to reunite with Slash and co. It would be great for the fans but not for Axl.

I also think the song is about creating the album Chinese Democracy.

"Why would they tell me to please those that laugh in my face?"

That could be directed at the labels, producers or even the fans.

I still think the song is one of the best ways to end an album, more so than Rocket Queen.

There are Appetite purists that would prefer the song to be about having lots of random sex while touring.

Like most of Chinese Democracy however, it seems to personally address former lovers/as well as everybody's attitudes toward old GNR.

There are Appetite purists that would prefer the song to be about having lots of random sex while touring.

Like most of Chinese Democracy however, it seems to personally address former lovers/as well as everybody's attitudes toward old GNR.

AKA - It's a song that didn't appeal to many.

AKA - It's a song that didn't appeal to many.

Don't care.

I think it's pretty much about how some people have to go against what they believe in because of other people trying to control them.

I also think it's about betrayal either by friends of a loved one.

The line "What would you do if I told you I loved you but then walked away". That obviously is about sometimes love isn't enough for people to stay together or it could also be about his parents.

Whatever it is truly about, it's a very powerful song and I love the ending how it just fades.

I really think GNR should add this song to their set list.

I think it's basically him describing an end to the old band. How he doesn't think it's fair that people want him to go against his feelings and reunite with the old band. It also feels like it describes the whole CD era... lasting forever and a day. To be honest, if they never released anything else, that's a good song to leave off on.

One of my favorite songs, and the end piano is a good way to close an album, and in this case, to wrap up the cd era.

Living for other's when you don't have to is prostitution. Selling your happiness

to keep the gravy train rolling and keep others gainfully employed isn't making

a life.

After seeing a bit of that love letter he wrote to Erin, I'd guess

this is a a recurring theme in his life that the women accept

the terms of being with someone in the spotlight and the

inherent strains of that kind of relationship. He chooses his

band over his personal happiness with those one or two

chicks he might be thinking of. Maybe he thinks of the band

as unconditional. Either way, it seems like a deep message

and his eyes are open but he is emotionally paralyzed.

Hopefully someone will ask him about it in an interview and he feels like talking about it. He developed as a songwriter because he went from being direct to being ambiguous.

Getting into who wrote what in Guns N' Roses should be a topic in itself, because it's spread out in interviews, books, and on here, but it's not compiles into specifically who wrote what in a 1-2 paragraph sentence.

I think its as straigtforward as an explanation as were likely to get.

Defiant. I mean really Axl knows the formula... hes played the game.. give into everybody else including fans and feel forced and pressured into performing , producing, writing and recording ..touring when its not in his schema of thinking. Whore yourself out for a payday...like most people do because they have to

Motivation. Why would i want to be 86-93 Axl...those were fucked up years personally and a rocketride to fame and fortune as well and still........ im not 25 and broke and desperate anymore? i dont have to prove anything to anybody outside of myself and to those I feel i can trust. Those that get it really get it and those fuckers on MyGNR will debate and mental masturbate till they go crosseyed and slobber all over themselves and kinda sorta not even get it right...

Apology. not as in saying "Im sorry" but as a defense/explanation: What if I told you that i was to blame?" Yeah well what if I did? And??What difference would it make its not going to change anything.

I like how you can apply it to a relationship person or its almost like a manifesto.

To me its like Im sorry I cant compromise. That he would feel like a hooker if he did reunion.

I guess this is because this is important to Axl. So he has to feel good about it. Or why bother really. The door was probably open for a while for Izzy, Duff, Slash to come back so...

• Like 1

U know i never really gave it any serious thought until just now, and maybe my minds just messed up and im way off but im gonna go out on a limb here and say its Axl talking to GNR... the brand he claims to have fought so hard to build (GnR is my life, no one else's)

Take these lines for example

It seems like forever and a day

(It really does, doesnt it?)

If my intentions were misunderstood

Please be kind, I've done all I should

(He believes in his own right might that hes done everything he could for GnR)

I won't ask of you what I would not do

(He doesnt wanna whore out the GnR name, or himself)

I saw the damage in you

(Lets face it GnR is damaged goods)

My fortunate one, the ending of you

(I think axl feels lucky that the UYI line up died the way it did)

It's not a question of whether my heart is true

I had to pull through

Look for a new beginning on you

(axl pulled through and "resurrected" GnR)

And what would you do if I had to deny your name? Where would you go if I told you I loved you

And then walked away?

(I think here hes asking what would happen to GnR if he walked away from it all?)

Theres plenty more examples i could have used, but thats my take on the song... i feel hes pretty much saying the he feels both himself and the GnR brand were pretty much being whored out at one point... and i cant say i disagree at all