Embarrassing/awkward incidents

Lithium

Does it do you much good in a kick off?

Obviously it's not as effective as somebody trained in MMA or something. But it gives you an insane level of core strength.

Also, you're definitely equipped in terms of responding to a punch/knife. Choking/armbars is also part of the sport.

My trainer was a 60 something man called Harry. Before his wife died, a few lads were naively giving them guff at the cinema. He put them all through nearby tables. :lol:

Edited by NGOG

Obviously it's not as effective as somebody trained in MMA or something. But it gives you an insane level of core strength.

A lot of MMA guys will tell you that a Judo black belt is the last person you want to run in to in a street fight. If those guys get a hold of the collar it's game over... your going for a ride to the pavement.

Guest Len B'stard

My old man used to do Judo and some form of Karate too, like Tang Soo Do and he ain't half difficult to approach, he just fuckin' flings you over his shoulder (we'd muck around fight when i was younger...still do sort of :lol:). Learnt a bit from watching him, it's all about the pivot and using the other persons weight against em, it takes suprisingly little pressure too, it's the follow through the makes the difference and most of the person weight carries em through on that. Not that I'm some fuckin' Judo expert here, this is just from observing my own arse getting dumped on the deck a number of times :lol: People don't fuckin' see that shit coming though, i'm talking about your average fella not some NGOG type would probably rip me to shreds if i tried it with him but I remember clocking it off the old man and then going to school the next day and like, you step into a person, place your foot behind there's and nudge em and they tumble like a bitch :lol: And with the throw it appeared to me to be more about crouching low and getting your back into them about tummy height and then just flippin' em, great fun :D

Guest Len B'stard

We've got a fuckin' Norwegian bodybuilder and an Irish MMA fella and a former National Judo Champion, what the fuck am I even doing in this conversation?!?! :lol: 6'4, legs long as fuck, i'll out-run the lot of you! :lol: Like the fuckin' BFG, galloping across continents!

Edited by sugaraylen

I haven't been in a proper fight since middle school, to be honest. :lol: I wonder how I would handle myself if it ever happened, especially against someone like NGOG, who knows martial arts. I imagine it would look like Mel Gibson vs. Jet Li in Lethal Weapon 4, except I would lose. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

I would've thought being a massive bastard sheilds you from fights, in terms of against the irritating pussy type, the only person that'd start on a fuckin' tank like you is firstly a pissed person which you'd clobber anyway, or an equally massive tank but you'd have to wind em up first. You hear a lot of about Karate and Judo experts but the NGOGs of this world are few and far between, most martial artsy types in my expierience ain't kick off merchants generally, it's all about discipline and that, thats what they teach em innit, you know it but only for a last resort.

A lot of MMA guys will tell you that a Judo black belt is the last person you want to run in to in a street fight. If those guys get a hold of the collar it's game over... your going for a ride to the pavement.

I'm a brown belt. Considering going back to pursue my black. Do anything yourself mate? Seem very informed on the subject.

Guest Len B'stard

I'm a brown belt. Considering going back to pursue my black. Do anything yourself mate? Seem very informed on the subject.

Fuckin' hell, why would you not pursue the black if you're on national champion levels, fucks the matter with you man? :lol:

I would've thought being a massive bastard sheilds you from fights, in terms of against the irritating pussy type, the only person that'd start on a fuckin' tank like you is firstly a pissed person which you'd clobber anyway, or an equally massive tank but you'd have to wind em up first. You hear a lot of about Karate and Judo experts but the NGOGs of this world are few and far between, most martial artsy types in my expierience ain't kick off merchants generally, it's all about discipline and that, thats what they teach em innit, you know it but only for a last resort.

True. I really like the mental aspect of martial arts, with the whole discipline thing.

Fuckin' hell, why would you not pursue the black if you're on national champion levels, fucks the matter with you man? :lol:

When you do multiple sports, there comes a time when you choose to commit to something exclusively. I naively decided to focus on GAA/soccer.

That's the thing about MMA that is a bit of a fail. While certain martial arts, like Judo and Hapkido, are practical in the real world they don't really stand a chance in the octagon.

They're lying in various places throughout the house, but here are a few of my national wins (the trophy being Irish champion):

OsLrzVa.jpg

Edited by NGOG

Yeah I train at an MMA gym, have done since I was 18 or so. You should go for the black belt mate. Would be a shame to stop doing it when you're that close to mastering it. Being that skilled at a martial art is one of the most difficult things a person can do. It can really be a vehicle to develop your full potential.

You hear a lot of about Karate and Judo experts but the NGOGs of this world are few and far between, most martial artsy types in my expierience ain't kick off merchants generally, it's all about discipline and that, thats what they teach em innit, you know it but only for a last resort.

This is very true. I used to have a pretty short temper when I was younger and got in to a few scraps. Haven't been in one since I started training martial arts. And it's not because I've been taught, "only use these skills in self-defence!" or anything like that. It just knocks the ego out of you.

That's the thing about MMA that is a bit of a fail. While certain martial arts, like Judo and Hapkido, are practical in the real world they don't really stand a chance in the octagon.

Yoshiro Akiyama begs to differ:

throws_slams_Yoshihiro_Akiyama_Trips_Jak

Judo is actually quite a good base in MMA. It doesn't work if that's the only thing you focus on though(which was actually Sexy-yamas downfall :() but that goes for anything really. Unless you're Ronda Rousey!

Edited by Nobodys_Fault

True dat. Showers are great, but they can be the scene of embarrassing moments too, especially the public ones. Does anyone have any embarrassing shower stories? Any of you girls, perhaps?

In the communal showers at Download, I remember getting distracted by this other lady's tattoos. Fortunately I realised where I was before she did.

True dat. Showers are great, but they can be the scene of embarrassing moments too, especially the public ones. Does anyone have any embarrassing shower stories? Any of you girls, perhaps?

In the communal showers at Download, I remember getting distracted by this other lady's tattoos. Fortunately I realised where I was before she did.
Aaaaaaanndddd????? Come on Gracii, you can't leave it there!!!!! :lol:

Aaaaaaanndddd????? Come on Gracii, you can't leave it there!!!!! :lol:

Sorry, that's it. I caught myself trying to get a better look at a stranger's half-sleve whilst in a communal shower.

We were naked, the water was cold and the ground was muddy. Overall, not an enthralling experience.