Why do people still order pizza?

arnold layne

I firmly believe that pretty much anything can work on a pizza- at the moment the place down the road from me ( recently changed hands) can't do any type of pizza right and as OP stated I really can buy frozens that end up a crisper, better tasting, cheaper pizza than anything these guys make...though to be honest the frozen pizzas are usually very skimpy when it comes to meat.

A couple of years ago, I lived on a street with a proper Italian Pizza joint- you could order pretty much anything and it was beautiful ( the pasta kicked ass) but (there's always a but) if their dim witted teenage children were running the phones/taking the orders odds would be good that they would forget to pass on half your order, even if you only ordered 2 items.

I only order pizza to keep the dim witted teenagers that deliver them in a job.

Not flour. Used to use it but it needed too much to make it slide and it was powdery. I use corn meal. It requires less, and allows airflow to crisp the crust better.

And if the stone is hot enough it will not stick. One of my stones (I have 2) is also glazed, that helps.

I have a pizza stone and it has absolutely ruined ordering pizza for me. I can get the stone up to about 620 in my over and then I move it to the top rack and put it on broil. Fresh tomato sauce with whole milk, full moisture mozzarella. I rival Italians.

You put the pizza directly on the stone? How do you prevent it from sticking to it?

Flour, brah.

Also make sure yo stone is hot before putting the pizza on.

We use semolina flour. It's quite gritty and provides a good barrier between the dough and the stone. And without doubt most people fail to realise how hot the stone has to be. We had a slab of cordierite cut to the size of our oven from a local stone mason and for pizza the oven temperature needs to be HOT!!!! 230 degrees celcius and when you add a slab of stone to the oven this takes MUCH LONGER than it otherwise would. Usually another 30 minutes at least, than it normally would. Oven thermometers are really helpful to know when your oven is ACTUALLY at temperature as opposed to trusting the in built thermometer. My OH runs a wholesale sourdough bakery and he would never dream of trusting a domestic oven's indicated temperature. An oven thermometer is super cheap and surprisingly accurate! :awesomeface:

I firmly believe that pretty much anything can work on a pizza- at the moment the place down the road from me ( recently changed hands) can't do any type of pizza right and as OP stated I really can buy frozens that end up a crisper, better tasting, cheaper pizza than anything these guys make...though to be honest the frozen pizzas are usually very skimpy when it comes to meat.

A couple of years ago, I lived on a street with a proper Italian Pizza joint- you could order pretty much anything and it was beautiful ( the pasta kicked ass) but (there's always a but) if their dim witted teenage children were running the phones/taking the orders odds would be good that they would forget to pass on half your order, even if you only ordered 2 items.

I only order pizza to keep the dim witted teenagers that deliver them in a job.

Lol!!!!

I'm wondering though, when you consider the bought pizza to be less crisp and less tasty than a frozen pizza are you taking into account the fact that it hasn't just come straight out of the oven when you start eating it? If I order a pizza the first thing I do is put the oven on to refreshen and crisp the base up.

I'm talking less than 3 minutes from the shop to my house, I could make allowances for me showing up later than when it was cooked but more often than not I'm sitting there while it's being cooked- believe me I did not come to my opinion based on a couple of random orders, I will give any joint the benefit of the doubt and check it out.

A freshly made, oven baked pizza trumps a frozen one in each and every instance. Plus, frozen food in general is utterly bad for you. Full of sodium and preservatives, it's the worst stuff a person can eat. And there's the social aspect of ordering a pizza, especially if the place you're ordering from is a place you've ordered from over a long period. You get a certain familiarity with the store owners and there's a certain niceness to it that doesn't come with just shoving a pizza in the microwave by yourself.

Please refer to post #104, I clearly state that there are frozen pizzas that are superior to the oven baked ones from down the street.

Also please not that despite being a regular customer, the disinterested, deadhead teenage kids that mismanaged the place after their parents went home or took the day off would fuck up every order, no matter how simple.