Zakk Wylde on Dio-era Sabbath: "It's not Black Sabbath"

ShadowOfTheWave

Ozzy and Dio are definitely Sabbath. Can't stand the post-Dio era.

Here my Sabbath list :

Heaven & Hell

Master Of Reality

Vol. 4

Paranoid

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Sabotage

Black Sabbath

The Mob Rules

Technical Ecstasy

Deshumanizer

Never Say Die

Why so low for Dehumanizer? I love it, and it's definitely the heaviest Sabbath album.

• Like 1

Here my Sabbath list :

Heaven & Hell

Master Of Reality

Vol. 4

Paranoid

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Sabotage

Black Sabbath

The Mob Rules

Technical Ecstasy

Deshumanizer

Never Say Die

Why so low for Dehumanizer? I love it, and it's definitely the heaviest Sabbath album.

I never was into it, I think it sounds dated for the 90s. There's nothing memorable about the album (riffs, lyrics...), it did not have the same vibe, or anthems than H&H or Mob Rules had.

Maybe i should try a full listen with fresh ears, any songs that are really worthwhile? I remember of It's Too late.

Here my Sabbath list :

Heaven & Hell

Master Of Reality

Vol. 4

Paranoid

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Sabotage

Black Sabbath

The Mob Rules

Technical Ecstasy

Deshumanizer

Never Say Die

I never was into it, I think it sounds dated for the 90s. There's nothing memorable about the album (riffs, lyrics...), it did not have the same vibe, or anthems than H&H or Mob Rules had.

Maybe i should try a full listen with fresh ears, any songs that are really worthwhile? I remember of It's Too late.

Everything Zeppelin said, plus After All (The Dead) and I really dig Letters From Earth.

Guest Len B'stard

This might be the most emotion bran's ever shown.

You've fuckin' done it now! What have i told you people, do not attempt to feed, pet or otherwise stimulate the dark lord! :lol:

• Like 1

I'm wondering how Live Evil & Speak Of The Devil were even able to be released. It comes off as a father vs daughter argument.

For CBS Records, I could see them going "Black Sabbath never released a live album with Ozzy" to their advantage.

Black Sabbath was sitting on hours of soundboard tapes, and when Ozzy was kicked out, they could have put any number of shows out. So while Ozzy's solo career was skyrocketing, Black Sabbath seemed to unravel when they should have been banding together. I think for the early 80s, putting old live tapes out wasn't an option for them.

I still don't get when they had joint publishing, they didn't just sue each other from putting either of them out.

I also wonder how Zakk felt about the re-recordings on Blizzard & Diary. Hopefully he's not that much of a suck up to agree with Sharon on why she did that.

Edited by dalsh327

I love his work but you really shouldn't put much stock in what Ozzy says, he lies through his teeth about lots of stuff and I really don't believe he knew nothing about the rerecordings, or Diary Of A Madman crediting Sarzo and Aldridge as bass and drums when it came out

(and many years afterwards)...or how he and Randy Rhoads wrote everything together etc without even a mention of Bob Daisley (who wrote the lyrics from The Blizzard Of Ozz through to No Rest...)

or how he wrote everything on Bark At The Moon with one finger on a keyboard LOL (yes, he did claim that) and many other blatant lies.

The truth is all he and Sharon care about is $$$, they don't care about the music (as evidenced by the cash in Ozzy albums post The Osbournes)

• Like 2

I love his work but you really shouldn't put much stock in what Ozzy says, he lies through his teeth about lots of stuff and I really don't believe he knew nothing about the rerecordings, or Diary Of A Madman crediting Sarzo and Aldridge as bass and drums when it came out

(and many years afterwards)...or how he and Randy Rhoads wrote everything together etc without even a mention of Bob Daisley (who wrote the lyrics from The Blizzard Of Ozz through to No Rest...)

or how he wrote everything on Bark At The Moon with one finger on a keyboard LOL (yes, he did claim that) and many other blatant lies.

The truth is all he and Sharon care about is $$$, they don't care about the music (as evidenced by the cash in Ozzy albums post The Osbournes)

bob daisley always gets shafted when it comes to that era of ozzy.

i always quite liked ozzmosis. anyone see the last season of that metal show when they interviewed jake e lee? he went into some small detail about how he never got as much credit as he deserved on bark at the moon, and that he had the riff and most of the song done by the time he joined ozzy. here is an interview he did where he talked about it as well.

ultimate classic rock: Having spent some time on the road with Ozzy on that tour, were you able to slip pretty comfortably into the collaborative process once you guys began the process of making what would become the ‘Bark at the Moon’ album?

Jake E Lee: Yeah. Well, most of that was really me and Bob Daisley. Because Ozzy would show up and kind of play around with songs. I remember that I had the riff for ‘Bark at the Moon’ and I played that, and he said, “Oh, I love it — we’ll call that one ‘Bark at the Moon,’” because he already had the album title in mind. So he said, “That’s the one that’s going to be ‘Bark at the Moon.’” He’d come in with things like that and then he’d drink, and he’d either pass out or leave, which left just me and Bob. We’d stay in the studio and flesh out the songs. It was fun working with Bob. He wrote all of the lyrics, [and he’s] a great lyricist. So yeah, me and Bob, we had a good working relationship. It was fun doing that record.

here is a part when asked he reconciled getting screwed over on writing credits for bark at the moon.
ultimate classic rock: How did you reconcile that part of things?
Jake E Lee: On ‘The Ultimate Sin,’ I did get credit because I got f—ed out of the first one. I was promised that I would get [credit]. Because I was young and I was in the middle of Scotland recording, I didn’t have a manager or a lawyer — it was just me. From the beginning, every musician, it’s always hammered into them, “Keep your publishing” and “Keep your writing.” So those were the only conditions that I had was “OK, I’m getting songwriting credit, right?” I was always assured that “Yes, I’m getting publishing — of course you are!” When I didn’t on the first record, it was upsetting. But I figured OK, what am I going to do? I got f—ed — what am I going to quit? We’re about to tour on a record that I finally got to make. There’s no problem for Ozzy to find another guitar player — am I just going to be that guy that played on that record, didn’t even get credit on the record and then refused to tour because I had a problem with Ozzy? No. I had to go out and tour. It would have been stupid not to. So I was only able to put my foot down at the end of the tour. “Let’s make another record” and I was like, “OK, but this time, you know what? I want the contract first before we start recording. I don’t want to be a dick, but I don’t want to get f—ed again either.”
there was also that rather infamous time when sabbath and ozzy was still a little tense, ozzy went into some radio show and talked about how he wrote iron man and all that, and geezer basically in an interview called his bullshit on it, it was quite funny.
  • Like 1

Haven't heard the Geezer one, ta.

Jake and Bob received a "buyout" for their writing and performances on BATM instead of credits, due to some unspecified problem with their publishing and were supposed to receive additional amounts as the sales reached certain points.

Bob mentions that "Spiders In The Night" came about thanks to Tommy Aldridge and Tommy deserved a credit on that, but there's Ozzy with his one finger.

I had no idea Ozzy never wrote lyrics until I read an interview with Geezer while they were promoting Sabbath's Cross Purposes in 94...