Zakk Wylde on Dio-era Sabbath: "It's not Black Sabbath"

ShadowOfTheWave

Nice to see Zakk acknowledging Bob Daisley, the man behind all Ozzy's classic albums.

Rudy Sarzo was never going to be on the 3rd studio album, Bob had already agreed to do it ( Sarzo isn't a writer or lyricicst, as they admitted) in 82 but RR's death pushed it back a year.

As for Sabbath, I have no trouble accepting the Dio lineup as Black Sabbath-even the Gillan, Hughes, Gillen and Martin eras still sound like (80's) Sabbath.

And The Devil You Know is a way better album than 13

• Like 1

I didn't read the article and don't care what Zakk had to say. I'm only here to say one thing. Ronnie James Dio should have been inducted into The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame with the rest of Black Sabbath. The fact is that they made some great music with Dio, and it should have been recognized. If you are going to induct Sammy Hagar with the rest of Van Halen (which I think he deserved), then there is no reason that Dio should have not been inducted. This was highly disrespectful to Dio, but The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame is a joke now anyway.

• Like 2

I don't agree Dio should've been inducted with Sabbath. If Heaven & Hell were the debut album of a brand new band, there is no way they would've been inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame based on the debut, Mob Rules and Dehumanizer. Talk about losing perspective. If you think for one second those three albums even hold a candle to classics like Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Master of Reality then you are smoking some seriously fucked up shit.

Dio era Sabbath is overrated IMO. Black Sabbath with Ozzy is the only version of the band I will ever accept. And Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy are both better than any Dio-era album.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

And Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy are both better than any Dio-era album.

I love both Sabbath version of the band and favour the Ozzy era myself .............but come on really, NSD and TE are better then the first 2 Dio Sabbath albums? who is smoking some fucked up shit now mate?

Edited by classicrawker

I don't agree Dio should've been inducted with Sabbath. If Heaven & Hell were the debut album of a brand new band, there is no way they would've been inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame based on the debut, Mob Rules and Dehumanizer. Talk about losing perspective. If you think for one second those three albums even hold a candle to classics like Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Master of Reality then you are smoking some seriously fucked up shit.

Dio era Sabbath is overrated IMO. Black Sabbath with Ozzy is the only version of the band I will ever accept. And Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy are both better than any Dio-era album.

lol

Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy are the worst Sabbath albums beside Forbidden, and they're on par with 13. Fact is, the Ozzy era has had the highest ratio of shit albums.

Whether or not you like the Dio albums is irrelevant. Heaven And Hell and The Mob Rules have been cited by many NWOBHM bands as a source of major influence. Those albums spearheaded the sound of 80's metal, just like the first 3 albums spearheaded the sound of 70's metal.

• Like 1

lol

Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy are the worst Sabbath albums beside Forbidden, and they're on par with 13. Fact is, the Ozzy era has had the highest ratio of shit albums.

Whether or not you like the Dio albums is irrelevant. Heaven And Hell and The Mob Rules have been cited by many NWOBHM bands as a source of major influence. Those albums spearheaded the sound of 80's metal, just like the first 3 albums spearheaded the sound of 70's metal.

There's a good reason for it being called forbidden :lol:

lol you have it backwards.

• Like 1

I suppose someone who dislikes Dio's lyrics or vocals intensely enough could hold such an opinion, though I struggle to believe anyone could find either of those albums superior musically.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

I suppose someone who dislikes Dio's lyrics or vocals intensely enough could hold such an opinion, though I struggle to believe anyone could find either of those albums superior musically.

Even if you took Dio and Ozzy out of the equation, Heaven And Hell and The Mob Rules still trounce Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy. A turd is a turd; Dio being on TE and NSD wouldn't magically make them good albums, nor would Ozzy being on H&H and TMR diminish their worth in my eyes.

Across the board with me for Sabbath, it's not so much about the singers as it is about the music.

• Like 1

Both eras are quite different musically, but even if we just compare vocals, I'll take Dio's larger than life vocals over Ozzy's nasal drip any day. I mean, really, Dio could sing Ozzy-era songs, but it wasn't the same just because they sounded different. But could you imagine Ozzy trying to sing Neon Knights? He would've shat himself senselessly. Dio-era is just so much more powerful, IMO.

• Like 1

Even if you took Dio and Ozzy out of the equation, Heaven And Hell and The Mob Rules still trounce Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy. A turd is a turd; Dio being on TE and NSD wouldn't magically make them good albums, nor would Ozzy being on H&H and TMR diminish their worth in my eyes.

Across the board with me for Sabbath, it's not so much about the singers as it is about the music.

yeah exactly. i love every sabbath album outside of TE,NSD,Forbidden,13. NSD,Forbidden,13 had some decent to good songs but a lot of shit, 13 was just boring paint by the numbers crap.

as for the HOF debate. Dio should have been inducted with sabbath and it is one of the most bullshit cases in a long list of bullshit cases against the hall. dio played on 4 studio albums, and a live album. the first 2 sabbath albums are considered very influential to the NWOBHM movement, as well as the thrash and progressive metal movement. not to mention these are landmark albums for the band. not to mention heaven and hell is the third highest selling sabbath album behind paranoid, master of reality(pretty good company to be in) and it is 1 of only 2 sabbath albums to be certified gold in the UK

if robert trujillo can get in with metallica, if dizzy and matt sorum can get in with gnr, and sammy hagar with van halen. dio sure as fuck should have been inducted with sabbath.

• Like 1

i am one who totally despises dio's lyrics...i think they are some of the worst i've ever heard in any genre...

plus as a someone who grew up a metal fan from almost day one, i am of the opposite opinion on dio as most...i think he's part of the reason metal isn't seen in a positive light by others outside the metal circle

i see him as cheesy as hell, with all the ridiculous spinal tap mannerisms to boot, although he wasn't going for laughs...

yes, yes, i know, he has a great voice....but just in sabbath-ozzy was the preeminent metal vocalist of the time and still ranks as one of the best ... he sucks now but he didn't then, he fit the songs to a tee, whereas sabbath-era dio was more dio with a backing band, a killer backing band but still a backing band to his nonsensical gibberish that passed for lyrics

dio is too showy for me, kinda like a metal christina aguilera...both of them have great voices but go too far too often

i see a wolf in the rainbow

and he falls into the fiiiiiiire

lest the angels and the witches

and the fool and the liiiiiiiiar....

ooohhhh see what they have done....

now of course i made those lyrics up in about 3 seconds and it shows...but give someone a set of dio's lyrics and those and they'd be hard pressed to pick out which is which

yes i'm a metal fan of over 35 years that hates dio!

Wut?!

Dio is one of the most respected metal vocalists and lyricists in music, certainly more so than Ozzy.

not outside of metal he's not---his costumes, his ridiculous devil horns, his EVIL stares, the whole kit and kaboodle is what non-metal fans think is laughable about metal and why they don't take it seriously

respected lyricist? where? when? by who? 4 year olds?

he's one of the worst lyricists ever, just terrible

Wut?!

Dio is one of the most respected metal vocalists and lyricists in music, certainly more so than Ozzy.

ozzy's not a lyricist either...geezer's sabbath lyrics were perfect

Battle of the lead singles off the comeback albums:

Heaven and Hell > Sabbath.

Idgaf if they made one album (RIP Dio), that album was damn good. Bible Black and Atom and Evil are fucking amazing songs.

Dio made 3 albums with Sabbath, Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules and Dehumanizer.