Are we taking racism way too far?

username

The 'we' you're referring to in the title isn't really anybody... it's just the media. They actively seek and create these sort of "controversies" because it's easy journalism. Just sift through Twitter for a few angry idiots.

I am a white heterosexual male, the only discrimination I've suffered is from being an atheist or jokes about being too white (funny that that's not considered racism). I don't mind it either way, I'm proud of my (lack of) color.

Life must be tough for the white, heterosexual atheist.

@OP I know you are European and I think that most of the responses in this are thread are also from our European members. Racism in America is very different than most other places.

I'll put it like this.

In America its about your skin color. In Europe its about what religion you are. In America fathers tell their daughters not bring him home if doesn't look like us. In Europe fathers tell their daughters not bring him home if he doesn't believe like us.

I love my country, but I have no problem saying it is the most racist country on the planet.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Guest Len B'stard

@OP I know you are European and I think that most of the responses in this are thread are also from or European members. Racism in America is very different than most other places.

I'll put it like this.

In America its about your skin color. In Europe its about what religion you are. In America fathers tell their daughters not bring him home if doesn't look like us. In Europe fathers tell their daughters not bring him home if he doesn't believe like us.

I love my country, but I have no problem saying it is the most racist country on the planet.

You know very little about England if you think its not about skin over here. In fact, its about more than skin even in America, it goes as far as DNA. Remember whatever American white people feel about race their ideas about it come from Europe, THEY come from Europe.

• Like 1

@OP I know you are European and I think that most of the responses in this are thread are also from or European members. Racism in America is very different than most other places.

I'll put it like this.

You know very little about England if you think its not about skin over here. In fact, its about more than skin even in America, it goes as far as DNA. Remember whatever American white people feel about race their ideas about it come from Europe, THEY come from Europe.

When I was in the military I was only in England for a bit, but I did spend quite a considerable time in other countries as well as the Middle East. This stuff is hard to explain, but when I was overseas, its like nobody cared that I was black, and other black serviceman would say the same thing when talking about their time overseas. It didn't matter if your skin was dark. More like a caste system, did you have the money vibe I and others got.

Also, I disagree with you that America's racism comes from England. America's racism comes from one thing: The Civil War. PEOPLE ARE STILL MAD over it, and they blame the blacks.

If slavery had ended peacefully, I truly think the racism that exist today in America wouldn't be here (no civil rights movement, anything), but since it took a war....*shakes head* - but it was always going to take a war to end it so...sigh, I don't know. :(

Edited by SunnyDRE

It was.

See that is the problem with talking race and why its a banned conversation on every forum, news outlet, etc. Because no one really wants to "talk about it". Just throw insults or cupcake...thats all.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Racism is still very bad in America. It's incredibly more widespread than most would like to believe. Racism has taken a subtle form in the current era in which we live. Yes, there is still the violent harassment of minorities, but racism has generally become quieter. It's as simple as being made to feel that you don't belong, that doesn't require violent actions or even direct actions. But when certain people say things, you can tell that there is a racial undertone to their beliefs. I will say, if you're in a major city/metro area, you're probably going to find less racism due to the amalgam of cultures that cities and densely populated areas have. And I really hate to say this, because it's such an overgeneralization and will likely spur the anger of some members here: (some) white, southern conservatives, are absolutely (in my opinion) guilty of being covertly racist. I'm not talking about the Westboro Baptist Church or the KKK, but racism to me seems to be frighteningly apparent in many southern communities.

SunnyDRE, what you're describing is actually more representative of European racism in the early modern period, lineage and religion were far more important factors of prestige than skin color was during that time. Generally speaking though, modern racism is about skin color. American racism predates the Civil War, though I will agree that is likely a partial source for modern southerner's racism. As I'm sure you know, slave labor existed in America before it was "America." In Central America, slaves were not as brutally treated or as inhumanely viewed as they were in what is the modern US. This is partially because the English, Spanish, and Portuguese all had differing reasons and intentions for colonization. But now I'm way off topic so...

I have two theories on racism: 1). The prevalence of racism in America is due to a cultural inheritance that will die off when the members of it's generation die. 2). Humans naturally want to find something different about each other so that they can proclaim themselves to be better than others (in which case we're all fucked). Of course, these are two very general theories, both or neither of which could be correct.

I have not traveled to Europe, but within the US, I have seen enough evidence to stand by the claims I've made in this post. And just to clarify on ending, I am not saying all southern conservatives are racist, nor am I saying conservatism is intrinsically linked to racism; it is a cultural problem, not a north vs. south problem, not a left wing vs. right wing problem.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1