What's the main reason GNR isn't as popluar as it was 20yrs ago?

GnR is still big in South America. I wonder how their numbers compare with other acts who play on that continent. I would be interested to see the stats.

Wouldn't you usually respond to something like this by telling the poster Google exists? :lol:

Or maybe I already know some of the numbers and I'm daring you to tell me precisely how "low" they are. Go for it, slick.

GnR is still big in South America. I wonder how their numbers compare with other acts who play on that continent. I would be interested to see the stats.

Wouldn't you usually respond to something like this by telling the poster Google exists? :lol:

Or maybe I already know some of the numbers and I'm daring you to tell me precisely how "low" they are. Go for it, slick.

Chill out, man. I was just having some fun with you.

I don't know about many bands, but I can tell you Maiden sells out bigger venues than GN'R even plays in South America...

Im pretty sure most bands whether its AcDC or Pink Floyd dont sell as many as their hayday.

Bands seem to have mid period slumps where people come to terms with them being human.

Then later they release albums which get critical acclaim or are enjoyed by fans. The earth does not move but stuff like Echoes was well received.

• Like 1

Or maybe you don't know and you think you can argue a point that is more difficult to verify and no one truly gives a shit. Big posturing.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought the thread was about how popular the band was. I would however, have to disagree with you though, about how difficult it is too look up concert numbers for South America. But you're right, no one cares. By all means, carry on.

Damn Smooth, if you're not going to add anything to the thread but personal attacks and off topic/irrelevant posts to satisfy your hard on for me, perhaps you should leave. I know an 80s rock band is a sensitive subject for you, but most people are able to have reasonable discussions/debates without resorting to childish tantrums. We get it. You're furious. Move along now.

GNR is #1 said no one who matters.

People on these forums think that the general public cares about an 80s rock band...they just don't. Just because your daily life consists of posting on forums and trying to claim you're a bigger fan than someone else, doesn't mean the rest of the world is doing the same.

The reason that they aren't as popular as they were 20 years ago is because the gimmick wore off, the music doesn't hold up for the most part, and people don't really care about that genre of music anymore. It's as simple as that really.

Nothing is as simple as that when the the biggest band in the world implodes and the lead singer takes the name into hiding with him for a decade. You can't act like this is just any other band whose popularity wore off over time. I'm not saying the whole world is begging for a GNR reunion/renaissance, but I think your evaluation is pretty off too.

Perhaps. Personally I think that it added to their appeal. Like I said - "internal drama". The band splitting up was a major thing for fans to rally around back when it happened, and today. It also added mystique and anticipation for their eventual emergence.

I firmly believe that if the "old band" had continued on, they'd die out with a whimper like other bands of that era and, at the very most be as popular as they are now (likely less so). UYI's were pretty weak bar a few songs. Another album wouldn't have made an impact.

Had Axl not fucked up the revival of the band and released CD in 2001, and continued to release good music on somewhat regular basis, I think they'd have a chance to be remembered as a band that survived and thrived through multiple eras of music and still remain relevant.

Some of us are here to discuss a band we like, junior. Maybe ignorant kids such as yourself should go somewhere where someone would buy your bullshit. Calling you ignorant is no insult, just reality. You've proven it time and time again.

All of your posts in this thread are off topic (attempts at) insults (btw NINcompoop wasn't funny the first time). Either have a reasonable debate/discussion and show some basic level of maturity, or throw your tantrum in your basement and stay off the internet for a while.

You can say I'm not a fan all you want. The various guitar picks from band members in my home, VIP pass, concert attendance and posting history prove otherwise.

Is it sort of because there is nobody left from the band everybody loved besides the singer who for all intents and purposes is best described as a nutjob who spent the prime of his career hiding away and doing nothing with the GNR name?

Guns N' Roses are primarily a band popular among young (10 - 16 year olds) and middle aged/old people. Their success was largely based on gimmick - wrestler names, riots, rants, internal drama, and so on...

The reality for most intelligent music fans who are able to look at this band objectively, is that they're, well...kind of lame.

I know that's not the type of response you were looking for, since this thread is just another one of your repetitive "Nu band sucks" shticks. But the truth is, no one cares about the current lineup of Guns N' Roses and frankly, no one cares about the old lineup either.

This is actually a false statement and you know it

I firmly believe that if the "old band" had continued on, they'd die out with a whimper like other bands of that era and, at the very most be as popular as they are now (likely less so). UYI's were pretty weak bar a few songs. Another album wouldn't have made an impact.

Spot on. If you think GNR would still be some sort of titan today I laugh heartily at you.

I care. Not enough to look them up, but enough to read them if you post them. There's no reason for the cat and mouse, is there?

Powerage already mentioned that Maiden does better than GNR. No numbers, but it's a start.

Here is a list of every South American Maiden gig (With capacity where I can find it) since 2008. I don't have all the attendance numbers handy, but I've thrown them in where I do have them:

2/21/08 - Auditorio Telmex, Guadalajara, Mexico (11,500)

2/22/08 - Monterrey Arena, Monterrey, Mexico (17,600)

2/24/08 - Foro Sol, Mexico City, Mexico (55,000)

2/26/08 - Estadio Ricardo Saprissa, San Jose, Costa Rica (27,000, 27,000 attendance)

2/28/08 - Simon Bolivar Park, Bogota, Colombia (100,000, 39,000 attendance)

3/2/08 - Estadio Palestra Italia, Sao Paulo, Brazil (27,700)

3/4/08 - Pedreira Paulo Leminski, Curitiba, Brazil (20,000)

3/5/08 - Gigantinho, Porto Alegre, Brazil (14,600)

3/7/08 - Estadio Arquitecto Ricardo Etcheverry, Buenos Aires, Argentina (24,500)

3/9/08 - Estadio Nacional, Santiago, Chile (47,000)

2/25/09 - Estadio Universitario, Monterrey, Mexico (42,000)

2/26/09 - Arena VFG, Guadalajara, Mexico (15,000)

2/28/09 - Foro Sol, Mexico City, Mexico (55,000)

3/3/09 - Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto, Alajeula, Costa Rica (17,900)

3/5/09 - Poliedro de Caracas, Caracas, Venezuela (20,000)

3/7/09 - Simon Bolivar Park, Bogota, Colombia (100,000)

3/10/09 - Estadio Chillogallo, Quito, Ecuador (35,000 attendance)

3/12/09 - Sambodromo, Manaus, Brazil (N/A)

3/14/09 - Praca da Apoteose, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (N/A)

3/15/09 - Autodromo de Interlagos, Sao Paulo, Brazil (N/A)

3/18/09 - Mineirinho, Belo Horizonte, Brazil (25,000)

3/20/09 - Estadio Nacional, Brasilia, Brazil (70,000)

3/22/09 - Club Hipico, Santiago, Chile (65,000 attendance)

3/26/09 - Estadio Nacional, Lima, Peru (50,000)

3/28/09 - Velez Sarsfield Stadium, Buenos Aires, Argentina (49,500)

3/31/09 - Pernambuco Jockey Club (N/A) *Total 2009 South America attendance was over 500,000*

3/17/11 - Teatro Banamex, Monterrey, Mexico (N/A)

3/18/11 - Foro Sol, Mexico City, Mexico (55,000, 49,500 attendance)

3/20/11 - Simon Bolivar Park, Bogota, Colombia (10,000, 6,750 attendance)

3/23/11 - Estadio Universidad San Macros (20,000, 11,730 attendance)

3/26/11 - Estadio do Morumbi (50,000, 44,000 attendance)

3/28/11 - HSBC Arena, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (13,500, 11,700 attendance)

3/30/11 - Estadio Nacional, Brasilia, Brazil (12,900, 8,400 attendance)

4/1/11 - Parque de Exposicoes, Belem, Brazil (N/A)

4/3/11 - Centro de Convencoes, Recife, Brazil (9,400, 7,000 attendance)

4/5/11 - Expotrade Arena, Curitiba, Brazil (15,000, 9,300 attendance)

4/8/11 - Velez Sarsfield Stadium, Buenos Aires, Argentina (37,000, 33,600 attendance)

4/10/11 - Estadio Nacional, Santiago, Chile (55,000, 43,800 attendance)

9/17/13 - Foro Sol, Mexico City, Mexico (50,000, 49,300 attendance)

9/20/13 - Anhembi Arena, Sao Paulo, Brazil (31,700, 31,700 attendance)

9/22/13 - Rock In Rio, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (85,000 attendance)

9/24/13 - BioParque, Curitiba, Brazil (20,000, 12,100 attendance)

9/27/13 - River Plate Stadium, Buenos Aires, Argentina (53,000, 50,700 attendance)

9/29/13 - Jockey Club, Asuncion, Paraguay (26,600, 15,600 attendance)

10/2/13 - Estadio Nacional, Santiago, Chile (59,500, 57,200 attendance)

• Like 1

Damn Smooth, if you're not going to add anything to the thread but personal attacks and off topic/irrelevant posts to satisfy your hard on for me, perhaps you should leave. I know an 80s rock band is a sensitive subject for you, but most people are able to have reasonable discussions/debates without resorting to childish tantrums. We get it. You're furious. Move along now.

People on these forums think that the general public cares about an 80s rock band...they just don't. Just because your daily life consists of posting on forums and trying to claim you're a bigger fan than someone else, doesn't mean the rest of the world is doing the same.

The reason that they aren't as popular as they were 20 years ago is because the gimmick wore off, the music doesn't hold up for the most part, and people don't really care about that genre of music anymore. It's as simple as that really.

Nothing is as simple as that when the the biggest band in the world implodes and the lead singer takes the name into hiding with him for a decade. You can't act like this is just any other band whose popularity wore off over time. I'm not saying the whole world is begging for a GNR reunion/renaissance, but I think your evaluation is pretty off too.

Perhaps. Personally I think that it added to their appeal. Like I said - "internal drama". The band splitting up was a major thing for fans to rally around back when it happened, and today. It also added mystique and anticipation for their eventual emergence.

Had Axl not fucked up the revival of the band and released CD in 2001, and continued to release good music on somewhat regular basis, I think they'd have a chance to be remembered as a band that survived and thrived through multiple eras of music and still remain relevant.

Some of us are here to discuss a band we like, junior. Maybe ignorant kids such as yourself should go somewhere where someone would buy your bullshit. Calling you ignorant is no insult, just reality. You've proven it time and time again.

All of your posts in this thread are off topic (attempts at) insults (btw NINcompoop wasn't funny the first time). Either have a reasonable debate/discussion and show some basic level of maturity, or throw your tantrum in your basement and stay off the internet for a while.

You can say I'm not a fan all you want. The various guitar picks from band members in my home, VIP pass, concert attendance and posting history prove otherwise.

I don't care what you did for guitar picks, your words here speak loud and clear. What do you want to debate without insults (not that you're worthy)? The fact that you think you're too cool for this band? The fact that I make you whine for the sheer joy of it? What? I'm willing to debate anything with you so far as you can pick a topic. Yeah junior, Guns was bigger than you'll ever be able to understand. Anything else?

• Like 1

No music videos was a big let down for the new band and radio play. I have never heard anything from CD on my local radio station here in Australia but still hear alot of the old stuff

Edited by Gibbo 27

You have to forgive him, he's obviously a kid that doesn't understand reality.

Nothing wrong with being young, but when you're stupid enough to try to rewrite history around people that know better, you should probably just quit and go hang out with fellow ignorant NINcompoops on some forum that is just as out there as yourself. :shrugs:

My peoples from that subgroup over at the other place get nothing but love from me. Even Broski. :lol: Nah, he's great. He's just a little rough and too cool for school around the edges. And he can swear up and down forever that he's just saying what he truly believes, but I think he's clearly trying to get a rise out of people at times. And I kinda like that about him. Y'all are like my brothers. You gotta kiss and make up or you're gonna ruin my forum experience. You wouldn't want that, would you?

Sorry, but somebody has to be willing to call him out on his bullshit. Someone will make him run away crying again. I'm not saying that someone will be me, but I'll give props to whoever it is. It's only a matter of time. :shrugs:

I don't care what you did for guitar picks, your words here speak loud and clear.

Would those be the words about seeing the band live 6 times (3 of which were front row on the rail)? Or the words about an album by the band being my all time favorite? Or the band itself being my all time favorite? You're absolutely right. They speak loud and clear. Not my fault that you can't read, and throw a temper tantrum when someone posts something you disagree with.

What do you want to debate without insults (not that you're worthy)? The fact that you think you're too cool for this band? The fact that I make you whine for the sheer joy of it? What? I'm willing to debate anything with you so far as you can pick a topic. Yeah junior, Guns was bigger than you'll ever be able to understand. Anything else?

The topic at hand? Again some basic reading skills may come in handy. Learn how to be civil and stop shitting up threads with your insults and off topic bickering. Yes, I know you're upset/jealous/whatever that I was made a news reporter. Get over it. It's been a few months now. Really not a big deal in the grand scheme of life, is it? Deal with it and move on. You're the only one whining. Learn to be civil now. You can do it. Just apply yourself.

Edited by Broskirose

I don't care what you did for guitar picks, your words here speak loud and clear.

Would those be the words about seeing the band live 6 times (3 of which were front row on the rail)? Or the words about an album by the band being my all time favorite? Or the band itself being my all time favorite? You're absolutely right. They speak loud and clear. Not my fault that you can't read, and throw a temper tantrum when someone posts something you disagree with.

What do you want to debate without insults (not that you're worthy)? The fact that you think you're too cool for this band? The fact that I make you whine for the sheer joy of it? What? I'm willing to debate anything with you so far as you can pick a topic. Yeah junior, Guns was bigger than you'll ever be able to understand. Anything else?

The topic at hand? Again some basic reading skills may come in handy. Learn how to be civil and stop shitting up threads with your insults and off topic bickering. Yes, I know you're upset/jealous/whatever that I was made a news reporter. Get over it. It's been a few months now. Really not a big deal in the grand scheme of life, is it? Deal with it and move on. You're the only one whining. Learn to be civil now. You can do it. Just apply yourself.

You're ignorant (again, not an insult) to say that the biggest band in the world was just a gimmick. How do you explain the enormous amount of radio play that they get in this day and age? Surely you don't need me to point out that they have at the very least 8 (at the absolute very least) songs that are played way more often than any song by your real favorite band, or do you? How does someone such as yourself rationalize that?

You're ignorant (again, not an insult) to say that the biggest band in the world was just a gimmick. How do you explain the enormous amount of radio play that they get in this day and age? Surely you don't need me to point out that they have at the very least 8 (at the absolute very least) songs that are played way more often than any song by your real favorite band, or do you? How does someone such as yourself rationalize that?

I never said "ignorant" is an insult. Various other things you've said in this thread are. In any case, you're unnecessarily confrontational.

I didn't claim that they get no radio airplay. I said that they are irrelevant to most music fans that aren't children or middle aged. That's just a reality. Go on a forum for any other band and try to talk about Guns N' Roses. People will laugh in your face (and no, I'm not basing my argument on what is said on forums - just an example). I'm not sure what you mean by "real favorite band". I don't see how you'd have more knowledge on the subject than me.

Edited by Broskirose

You want a band that has released only 1 album to be all the rage like they were in vthe 90's? You're out of your mind.

BTW, twat's solo is wankery :lol:

I take it you have never touched a guitar in your life.

No, in fact you don't even have to play an instrument to see that twat's solo is not even a speedster solo.

You see, before criticizing something, you should at least give it a try. :shrugs:

Edited by Chewbacca

The fact that it really isn't the same band that was popular 20 years ago. I mean they have the name but it just isn't those group of guys no matter how you cut it. Mix that with only 1 album in 20 years and said album having little potential to musically take the world the the storm and there ya go

Plus it is extremely hard for a band to maintain or improve upon the buzz that they get while in their prime anyways.

Edited by WhazUp

You know....considering what kind of music is considered "relevant" today - Justin Bieber, Kanye West, Ke$ha, and other folks that are complete douche canoes- I'm ok with my favorite band not being considered "relevant". I would rather be amongst the real, true, hardcore fans than the millions of screaming masses who don't actually have any idea what talent is without autotune. I've got talent. I recognize talent. I appreciate talent. Spitting out some stupid lyrics about brushing your teeth with a bottle of Jack in a sing-songy, Valley Girl whine is not talent.

You know what is a great indicator of great music? In 10 years, if Bieber can still yell one line from a hit he had this year and tens of thousands of fans lose their collective minds, that would be an indicator of great music. Ain't gonna happen. But I guarantee that in another 10 years, people will STILL scream when they hear "YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE????!!!!"

• Like 1