Biggest blunders in professional sports history

bacardimayne

What are some of the biggest fuck-ups by a professional athlete playing a sport that you've seen?

Here are my submissions, both occurring in games featuring my local NHL team in the past decade:

Backstory: The Oilers were down a goal in the final minute of the game. As is customary when trailing in the final moments of a game, the Oilers pulled their goaltender in order to bring another offensive player out and raise their chance of scoring. Eventually, Stars player Patrick Stefan, the player who had been picked first overall in the NHL draft a few years prior, got control of the puck and had a sure goal with only an empty net mere inches in front of him. What could go wrong? Watch and see.

Backstory: This one really pains my heart every time I watch it. Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The game is tied with mere moments to go in the final period. The Hurricanes shoot the puck into the offensive zone, and Oilers backup goalie Ty Conklin (replacing the just-injured a few minutes ago Oilers starting goalie) goes behind the net to make what looks like a routine play. Instead, the defenseman and the goalie make the combined blunder of the century, and the unthinkable happens. Absolutely disgusting play from the both of them. The Oilers would go on to lose the series in 7 games.

What are some of the biggest fuck-ups by a professional athlete playing a sport that you've seen?

Here are my submissions, both occurring in games featuring my local NHL team in the past decade:

Backstory: The Oilers were down a goal in the final minute of the game. As is customary when trailing in the final moments of a game, the Oilers pulled their goaltender in order to bring another offensive player out and raise their chance of scoring. Eventually, Stars player Patrick Stefan, the player who had been picked first overall in the NHL draft a few years prior, got control of the puck and had a sure goal with only an empty net mere inches in front of him. What could go wrong? Watch and see.

Backstory: This one really pains my heart every time I watch it. Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The game is tied with mere moments to go in the final period. The Hurricanes shoot the puck into the offensive zone, and Oilers backup goalie Ty Conklin (replacing the just-injured a few minutes ago Oilers starting goalie) goes behind the net to make what looks like a routine play. Instead, the defenseman and the goalie make the combined blunder of the century, and the unthinkable happens. Absolutely disgusting play from the both of them. The Oilers would go on to lose the series in 7 games.

Wow....both those plays are crazy! :lol:

One that comes to mind is when DeSean Jackson throws the ball to celebrate before he crosses the goaline against Dallas a few years ago:

They brought the play back but then we ran it in so it wasn't a complete disaster. :lol:

I obviously didn't see this live, but it needs to be mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itqymqf6ov0

:lol::lol:

Shane Warne dropping Pieterson at the Oval when he was only on ten or something or other, ''the drop which cost Australia the ashes''. Pieterson went on and made 158 which secured victory for England. It is at 2:09 on the following - Warne is in the slips:

Edited by DieselDaisy

Chris Webber calling a timeout in the 1993 NCAA Championship game....when they didn't have any left....causing a technical foul...and costing them the championship.....

Leon Lett....in Super Bowl XXVII....recovers the fumble....returns it...almost for a touchdown....lol....

...and the Band comes onto the field....helping the other team win as time expires.....

• Like 1

Steve Bartman gets undue blame for fucking the 2003 Cubs. He did what any fan would do, and - after a shaky couple pitches - Prior got it back under control. At 1:40 in this clip, Alex Gonzalez actually seals the Cubs' fate, muffing the double play ball that would have stopped the bleeding and sent the Cubs to the bottom of the 8th with a 3-1 lead. Instead....just watch the rest of the clip. It's too hard to think about.

This was pretty ugly too

Both Vancouver giving up the shorty to let this one into OT and the Campoli turnover to end this one were pretty nasty fuckups

Chris Webber calling a timeout in the 1993 NCAA Championship game....when they didn't have any left....causing a technical foul...and costing them the championship.....

Leon Lett....in Super Bowl XXVII....recovers the fumble....returns it...almost for a touchdown....lol....

...and the Band comes onto the field....helping the other team win as time expires.....

Love the dude that gets nailed at the end of "The Play"!

Too many yankee sports for my taste so here is some more.

Ramsey's decision to take Bobby Charlton off in 1970 which freed up Beckenbaur and led to a German comeback.

The Toon's 1996 season when they had the league in the bag and Keegan made all of those statements about Ferguson and Man U sukerpunched them.

John Arne Riise's own goal against Chelsea in the Champs League 008, hilarious and cost Liverpool the chance of the final.

Ronaldo putting the ball over from 2 yards out for United, can't remember the game.

Chelsea signing Shevchenko (Torres isn't as bad, he's won trophies