Comparing GNR live performances to other acts

This thread doesn't have to be about how other live acts are better (or how GNR is better than other live acts), but the difference (good or bad) between other acts and GNR.

I'm not big on attending concerts, because rarely do I find them worth the exorbitant prices most acts charge nowadays. GNR is my favourite band and Axl is my favourite frontman, so I was happy to part with my money the 14 times I went and saw him.

But the few times I do see other acts, I'm amazed at how things are just different. Or, as I explained earlier, how some of my complaints about GNR's live act (particularly their setlists) seem dumb considering I'm grateful whenever an act doesn't force me to listen to shit I don't want to hear.

Anyway, just curious from people experience other acts relative to GNR.

Phish are a jam rock band, and nowhere near as popular as GNR.

:confused: um... In the United States, Phish headlines festivals with 100,000 attendees, where THEY ARE THE ONLY BAND ON THE BILL.

That's just the US, though. And even in the US, most people could name 4 or 5 GNR songs; I doubt most people could name 2 Phish songs. Not taking anything away from the band, and not saying they can't pull in a decent-sized dedicated fanbase, but GNR's appeal is much broader.

It was the Sonic Boom Tour, 2012 I think.

This thread doesn't have to be about how other live acts are better (or how GNR is better than other live acts), but the difference (good or bad) between other acts and GNR.

I'm not big on attending concerts, because rarely do I find them worth the exorbitant prices most acts charge nowadays. GNR is my favourite band and Axl is my favourite frontman, so I was happy to part with my money the 14 times I went and saw him.

But the few times I do see other acts, I'm amazed at how things are just different. Or, as I explained earlier, how some of my complaints about GNR's live act (particularly their setlists) seem dumb considering I'm grateful whenever an act doesn't force me to listen to shit I don't want to hear.

Anyway, just curious from people experience other acts relative to GNR.

Well the obvious difference is the time. GN'R can begin, anytime from 9:30-11pm. Every other band in the world begins 8-8:30pm. So, with GN'R you are sitting around drinking over-priced beer and the crowd are already on Axl's back when he hits the stage. It is not like a normal gig where everyone is, pro, the band you are about to see (like a football match with everyone supporting the same side). Everyone is anti-Axl - boos, catcalls - until he hits the stage because of the lateness. So, it is up to him to win them around again and, in fairness, he usually does so after two-three numbers, but there is always that, us (crowd) them (band) vibe which I have never sensed with other artists and their crowds.

Also, 2002-2007, there was always a sense that it would all kick off and anything could happen, rant, riot, Axl walking off, power cut. This is less the case these days (2010-).

Edited by DieselDaisy

i'm a big fan of avenged sevenfold, disturbed, and godsmack and have seen all three bands several times and while all three are awesome live, they all barely play hour and a half sets. that's what amazes me about gnr. axl is almost twice the age of some of these guys and he plays 3 hour shows. as for the late starts, i don't really care. it's not everyday i get a chance to see gnr, so an extra hour or two wait has never bothered me.......although the last 2 shows i saw (hartford '11 and atlantic city '12) the waits weren't bad at all.

Phish are popular because they are a conciously trippy band. They appeal to America's drug population.

Have you ever seen that episode of The Simpsons where the audience is completely tripped out at Hullabalooza? Even though there's nothing extraordinary going on onstage.

That's a Phish audience.

Edited by NGOG

Don't blame the drugs. I did lots of drugs in high school and I always thought Phish sucked.

Did I say they appeal to every drug user in the US? I clearly said they appeal to the drug population.

Edited by NGOG

Don't blame the drugs. I did lots of drugs in high school and I always thought Phish sucked.

Did I say they appeal to every drug user in the US? I clearly said they appeal to the drug population.

What's your source on this?

Haha the people on this forum go to GNR concerts "ffs, they are playing the hits again...we want the left overs that couldn't fit on the CD from when the guy with a kfc bucket on his head was in the band"

Everyone else "OMG they played ALL the hits touring the chinese album, what a great show"

I guess that somes up lack of material. People aren't paying £50/$100 to hear atlas shrugged & Going Down even if we would.

Cousin of mine said he got really wasted before seeing GNR in Toronto in 2006. Said he was whooping and hollering for a few songs after they came on, but after about half an hour was wondering when they were gonna play the hits. His mates duly informed him that the man on stage was not Axl Rose, but Sebastian Bach.

Lol

What's your source on this?

Phish crowds are notoriously trippy: http://www.vice.com/read/i-survived-a-phish-show

Just looks like the whitest thing ever. I've seen Arcade Fire and Einaudi in concert but I draw the line at Phish and the Dave Matthews Band.

I am joking Ngog before you insult me :lol:

It's pretty obvious that you and Kicker are constantly trying to get a rise out of me. Thing is, I don't mind either of you.

If it offended you when I called you a groupie, I apologize.

Edited by NGOG

It's pretty obvious that you and Kicker are constantly trying to get a rise out of me. Thing is, I don't mind either of you.

If it annoyed you when I called you a groupie, I apologize.

That's the thing though.. I don't .... I have never even talked about you even on thegnrforum...

then suddenly you call me a name just cause I said what Diceman was saying was a joke... I can post what I said and it was never anything insulting so I don't understand why you felt the need to insult me

I'm not mad about it but it's just weird considering I don't dislike you ... whatever :lol:

That's the thing though.. I don't .... I have never even talked about you even on thegnrforum...

then suddenly you call me a name just cause I said what Diceman was saying was a joke... I can post what I said and it was never anything insulting so I don't understand why you felt the need to insult me

I'm not mad about it but it's just weird considering I don't dislike you ... whatever :lol:

It was harsh. Can I extend the arm of peace? :lol:

Phish are popular because they are a conciously trippy band. They appeal to America's drug population.

Have you ever seen that episode of The Simpsons where the audience is completely tripped out at Hullabalooza? Even though there's nothing extraordinary going on onstage.

That's a Phish audience.

That's a Phish audience.

And you're an idiot with shit taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20ccfjD4ZyQ

Edited by John Bonham

It was harsh. Can I extend the arm of peace? :lol:

I thought it was funny :lol:

No beef here lol :hug: