House of Cards returns

Dan H.

I'm on like episode nine of the first season so I timed it pretty well, I guess!

I like it but don't think it's quite as great as some people would lead you to believe. I think it's more of what it symbolizes (being kind of a flagship original series for Netflix with a premier cast and crew) but I do hope season two's writing improves a bit. Spacey is great and worth watching for his performance alone, but it's not quite up to the level of the best cable programming.

It's entertaining as hell, and a fine show, but at heart, it's basically a high brow Scandal. Nothing going on under the surface there.

And Spacey is hammy as fuck in this. Amusing, yes. Entertaining, yes. Subtle, nuanced...not so much. Robin Wright is superb, though.

I agree with everything you've written. Even if I tried to disagree, I don't think I could :lol:

Especially about Robin Wright. Her performance should be winning awards.

Good season. Better than the first one, I think.

I didn't expect Frank to become president so soon. I'm guessing season 3 will focus mainly on Frank avoiding getting pinned for murder. Also, it's a shame that Stamper had to go, even though I think the whole "crush on the prostitute"-ordeal weakened the character a lot.

Good season. Better than the first one, I think.

I didn't expect Frank to become president so soon. I'm guessing season 3 will focus mainly on Frank avoiding getting pinned for murder. Also, it's a shame that Stamper had to go, even though I think the whole "crush on the prostitute"-ordeal weakened the character a lot.

I agree, I liked this one better (even though I loved the first one).

I knew Frank probably had that in the back of his mind this season, but I didn't realize that it would probably happen this season until about 3/4 of the way through. Yeah he'll have to handle the scandal that will result from the public finding out his chief of staff is dead in the woods with a bashed in head somewhere up in northern Maryland.... I do agree about that character choice with Doug, did not like that he developed emotions for Rachel, and of course, it led to his fall. It's interesting that Tusk mentioned hubris during the last episode, House of Cards does come across like a Greek tragedy at times, except Frank avoids and escapes the "downfall" that almost all Greek heroes went through. Hubris without punishment, thought we shouldn't speak too soon, there's still a decent amount of people who possibly have the means to try to build a case against Frank.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I watched season 1 in. Few days now watching S2. Not sure who's a bigger piece of shit robin wright or Verbal. There's something dangerous about a man without a family past a certain age.

Edited by wasted

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished watching both seasons one and two....over the span of the past week. I had started watching season one last year and only watched up to episode 5 or 6. (I had too much stuff going on, etc...and decided to postpone it).

Wonderfully entertaining (and somewhat disturbing) show.

If only half of what goes on in that show has any truth to it....Washington D.C. is one scary place. :lol:

I think they need a bolder challenge to Frank this season.

And maybe a little more political commentary. The show doesn't say a lot about American politics. I guess it doesn't have to, since it's entertaining watching Franks scheming unfold, but I really want a little bit more of a theme next season. Or a deeper exploration of some of the characters and their motivations, particularly Frank.

Since he is now the President, I have a feeling his new "enemy" will either be the American People (bad approval ratings) or a big wig within the Republican Party....possibly a combination of both.

The show seems to attempt to mimic "real life" as it has already shown that leading up to the presidency, most of Franks "enemies" are within his own party or a supporter within his own party, etc...If the show wants to stay true to real life "scenarios" I am guessing that now that Frank is "top dog" most of his enemies will start to come from the opposing party or from outside the Democratic Party.

And maybe a little more political commentary. The show doesn't say a lot about American politics. I guess it doesn't have to, since it's entertaining watching Franks scheming unfold, but I really want a little bit more of a theme next season. Or a deeper exploration of some of the characters and their motivations, particularly Frank.

Since he is now the President, I have a feeling his new "enemy" will either be the American People (bad approval ratings) or a big wig within the Republican Party....possibly a combination of both.

The show seems to attempt to mimic "real life" as it has already shown that leading up to the presidency, most of Franks "enemies" are within his own party or a supporter within his own party, etc...If the show wants to stay true to real life "scenarios" I am guessing that now that Frank is "top dog" most of his enemies will start to come from the opposing party or from outside the Democratic Party.

The show is anything but true to real life scenarios. There is absolutely no precedent for what Frank did as Vice President to marshall through the changes to social security. Sure, the VP technically has the power to do what Frank did, but I can't think of one example where the VP has ever controlled the Senate like Frank does a few episodes into season two.

Judging from the comments made by those who have worked in the halls of Congress and the White House, the show is an exaggeration, if not an extreme one, of the day to day operations. Obama recently commented that life in Washington is far more boring than the show indicates. Though it's been a few months, I remember having to explain to my girlfriend after several examples why the procedures and outcomes of Frank's manipulations would almost never happen. Oh, you would never see a sitting VP resign from his post to run in an state governors election. There's plenty of others, but can't recall them offhand.

The show is anything but true to real life scenarios. There is absolutely no precedent for what Frank did as Vice President to marshall through the changes to social security. Sure, the VP technically has the power to do what Frank did, but I can't think of one example where the VP has ever controlled the Senate like Frank does a few episodes into season two.

Judging from the comments made by those who have worked in the halls of Congress and the White House, the show is an exaggeration, if not an extreme one, of the day to day operations. Obama recently commented that life in Washington is far more boring than the show indicates. Though it's been a few months, I remember having to explain to my girlfriend after several examples why the procedures and outcomes of Frank's manipulations would almost never happen. Oh, you would never see a sitting VP resign from his post to run in an state governors election. There's plenty of others, but can't recall them offhand.

Of course the show is an exaggeration, that's TV. But for a look at how the VP office can be used in a way that was never intended just look at Cheney, Dick.

I really thought that this was common sense? Do people actually think anything remotely like what goes on in HoC happens in Washington? I think KK maybe meant that the show tries to "mimic reality" in that the show is trying to illuminate the desire/ambition of certain people in Washington, and then to illuminate that sentiment HoC gives you a guy who is the utter extreme of it. In other words, a lot of people would like to be president, VP, SecState, etc., but no one would do the things that Frank does (because 1. it's illegal, and 2. a lot of what he does simply wouldn't be possible according to the mechanics of political procedure). Though I could be wrong, I'm not sure if Willimon's intention is a critique of ambitious acquirement of political power aimed at Washington, or a more general examination of human nature, or both... or something else.

• Like 1

Whoa now...slow your roll there bud....lol...

I should have been more specific....I meant as in mimic real life "enemy" scenarios....as it's usually Democrats vs. Democrats, Republicans vs. Republicans,within their own parties, until they get higher up in the food chain...Speaker, Governor, President, etc...etc...etc...politicians (as in the show) fight each other to get to the top...once they're at the top, then they tend to fight the other parties.....and yes, that part of the show does have at least some truth to it.....look at any primary election, for example. ;)

Edited by Kasanova King

Of course the show is an extreme exaggeration, but that's what makes it fun. A lot of the stuff that goes on in the show is unbelievable but I could see some of the things happening for sure.

• Like 1