The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

RussTCB

I don't even think it's just for the role, if you listen to Johnny now he actually talks like Hunter all the time, even uses his phrases and vocal ticks and everything, it's kinda odd actually.

Well, Depp really admired Hunter, and they were very good friends, so it's not surprising Hunter rubbed off on him

I don't even think it's just for the role, if you listen to Johnny now he actually talks like Hunter all the time, even uses his phrases and vocal ticks and everything, it's kinda odd actually.

Bill Murray played Thompson in Where The Buffalo Roam. I find Depp doing more of an impersonation of Murray's impersonation than doing his own

Edited by axl666axl666

Best Brian Williams rap to date:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCeIgt7hMs

I fucking love the Brian Williams rap bits! :lol:

I've never watched an ep of Fallon's show, but I remember him not being funny on SNL, so I've never been tempted. I remember watching Letterman when he still had some juice in the 90s and I watched Conan religiously for a few years. I just stick with Stewart and Colbert now. The really good interviews and skits (see above) surface quickly on youtube. Sure it's a cheap, comfy format, but there are a ridiculous number of these shows on air at the moment.

Edited by Angelica

He's unfunny as fuck. He's just like some kinda pandering babbling nerd that sounds like he's tripping over his own words. Was watching an interview with him and Keith Richards and ol' Keith can't get a fuckin' word in edgeways, it's like shut the fuck up man, whoose the interviewee here, you or him? There's a craft to interviews, to making people comfortable and open up to you and all that shit, this cunt just babbles.

Quite frankly a lot of these interviews around, American chat show ones are a load of shit. Leno, this cunt, Letterman etc. Letterman has the ability but he tries to be funnier than he is. I really like Craig Ferguson, he's really sharp. An older one that i really like is Dick Cavett.

Agreed 100%

The only guy I like is Conan. Hell what other talk show host would do this :lol:

I love Conan so much. His remote segments are the stuff of legend. I put the Tonight Show Debacle squarely on NBC. Leno always had a strong lead in at 10 going through local news, and they had the awesome idea to have Leno be Conan's lead in. Ruined it.

I had honestly never heard Hunter S Thompson before, really makes me realize how bang on an impersonation Depp did.

Depp lived with him for a few weeks to get it right.

Letterman's had Thompson on a bunch of times and the interviews were always good.

I saw Friday's show with Justin Timberlake. They were both laughing so hard it wasn't much of an interview. I thought it was so cool how well they played off each other.

I've always liked Jimmy Fallon since Saturday Night Live. I think he's a likable guy and very down to earth. I hope he does well on the Tonight Show.

I like fallon in the sense that he loves guns just like me, but he seems to be one of those guys who thinks he's funnier and cooler than he actually is.

Aside from owning a GNR shirt, there's absolutely no proof that he's a GNR fan whatsoever, let alone loves them. Are people really that naive?

Think it's more of his genuine excitement at the end of the VMA performance, initially scheduling Ashba to sit in with the Roots for a show (don't know if it actually ended up happening though), and some of his Axl/GN'R mentions on his show, than just owning a shirt.

Last night on the Tonight Show, Jimmy was writing his thank you notes.

He addressed one about getting tattoos of band names and letting everyone know which decade you got it in.

Of course, the tattoo was of GNR!

Thought it was way cool!

Guest Len B'stard

The problem with the way we approach the idea of interviews these days is that we don't know what they are. Most people think that they are just some tool to serve the artist, a promotional endeavour, it effectively kills off the art of interviewing, we fancy our celebs too much and demonise the media (often rightly) but what it basically results in is this disgusting arse-licking thing where the interviewer is just some grinning muppet asking these set up questions like 'so, you're new tour begins...?' or 'so, you're new book goes out on release in...' and it's like fuck that shit.

We've all come to accept the media as some kind of tool of agents of control so when you look back at interviews with The Stones or The Beatles or Elvis (although admittedly some of Elvises were quite ridiculous) we're all up in arms about how the interviewer isn't like, kissing their arse well thats the fuckin' way it should be. Quite frankly i think it's as damaging to the artist as it is to the art of interviewing, it's almost like an admission that these people don't have the bottom to deal with any serious questions. A lot of it comes from America (there's umpteen Parkinson interviews out there where some American celeb starts having a moody cuz the interviewers actually dared to ask them some serious questions) but it's just like that over here now too and it's been like that for ages.

Then you have all these weepie apologists that wade in from sidelines every time an interviewer actually goes into some serious questioning, like Martin Bashir or someone, good, fuckin' ask em proper questions. The problem is that if you did half of these fuckin' tarts wouldn't turn up. I mean imagine Jimmy Fallon actually asking some serious questions of Axl and putting him on the spot a bit, probing. Quite frankly when these celebs have a moody all they really do is show themselves up a bit.

Interviewers don't disagree anymore, like Parkinson telling Kenneth Williams that he thought his opinions on the TUC were crap or Dick Cavett telling Norman Mailer to fold his intellect 3 ways and stick it where the sun don't shine (when Norman Mailer said he'd accept Cavetts offer for an extra seat to accomodate him and his enormous intellect if Cavett and the other guest would accept fingerbowls for theirs.

Even sports, notoriously a field where people are held accountable and the proper questions are asked you have interviewers effectively shying away from asking these primadonnas proper probing questions cuz you end up with Floyd Mayweather or some other sports power broker crying and acting like a tart about it.

I mean you have interviews like Johnathan Ross licking someones arse or you have things like John Freeman in Face to Face, an early BBC interview show where he really asked questions of depth. Fair dues, he was interviewing people like Carl Jung and Bertrand Russell but at the same time he interviewed celebs too like Tony Hancock, Adam Faith, Albert Finney and John Huston.

The problem these days is that we wouldn't know a decent interviewer if it slapped us across the face, we're that sensitive about it. An interviewer should meet his subject as an equal in terms of the liberty to question, there was a time that celebs almost feared interviewers, not because they were something scary in and of themselves but because they knew they'd be asked serious questions that would test them and require them to exercise some level of intellect or wit and since back in those days throwing a hissy fit wasn't done they were just left with these questions that they were bound to answer...and if they erred or behaved funny, it would be apparent under the glare of the spotlight. I mean, this whole throwing a paddy during an interview, it's all really cute and everything but what are you left with when it's all said and done...a woman or man who came onto a show to be asked questions and then behaved like a child when they didn't like what was being asked of them.

I think interviewees should be made to sign contracts that say they are bound to answer certain questions within the limits of decency and with respect to any kind of sensible levels of privacy and if they don't want to well then they should just fuck off, if you're that much of a private person that once you're done ticking off all the various things that you don't want to talk about if there's not much left over but sycophancy then that person isn't a suitable subject for an interview. Cuz at the moment it's just ridiculous, interviewers and visibly shaken and jittery and pandering, i mean just look at that Sam Jackson interview the other week.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

It was a massive defence of Jimmy Fallon, starting with a short bio and ending in a contextualisation of his achievements in the framework of contemporary journalism with he broader notion of what it is to truly be a journalist of integrity ;)

Edited by sugaraylen

Ah I see. Well actually, I lied in my post. I'm a big fan of Jimmy Fallon. He was great on SNL and his late night show was usually pretty good. He's an awful interviewer but his bits are very clever, especially the music ones. He's got talent and seems like one of the nicest guys around. Can I get an "amen"?

Ah I see. Well actually, I lied in my post. I'm a big fan of Jimmy Fallon. He was great on SNL and his late night show was usually pretty good. He's an awful interviewer but his bits are very clever, especially the music ones. He's got talent and seems like one of the nicest guys around. Can I get an "amen"?

cupcake on