Did you know? (Rare & little known GNR facts thread)

In 1997 Todd Sullivan, who was then a talent executive for Geffen, sent Axl a sampling of CD's produced by different people, and encouraged him to choose one to work on Chinese Democracy. Todd Sullivan reported he received a call informing him that Axl had run over the albums with a car.

Axl took Buckethead to disney land and had a chicken coop built in the studio for him.

Supposedly, Axl checked himself into a mental hospital in 2002 after the tour ended for exhaustion.

When Axl first started working on CD, he rented one piece of specialized equipment for more than two years at a cost well into six figures and only used it for a month.

Axl has over 1,000 demos and audio clips from the CD era in his vault.

Interesting.. I feel like something worse then exhaustion is going on to check one self into a mental hospital.. Is that 1000+ number confirmed? Seems you give a man like Axl that much stuff, he could be sorting through it for a millennia

He may have a 1000 demos... i mean it took way long and the band had many members, buckethead for instance has released 47 albums in his relatively small career , songs like shackler were nothing but a bucket's demo until axl grabbed it and turned it into a song after bucket left. So he could have a shitload of demos

The "1000 demos" comes from this article published in 2005 by the New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/06/arts/music/06leed.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

"So the studio technicians burned as many as five CD's per week with various mixes of different songs, which were driven to Malibu for Mr. Rose to study. The band's archive of recorded material swelled to include more than 1,000 digital audio tapes and other media, according to people who were there at the time, all elaborately labeled to chart the progress of songs. "It was like the Library of Congress in there," said one production expert who spent time on the album there. By one count, the band kept roughly 20 songs it considered on the A list and another 40 or so in various stages of completion on the B list."
Edited by liers

In 1997 Todd Sullivan, who was then a talent executive for Geffen, sent Axl a sampling of CD's produced by different people, and encouraged him to choose one to work on Chinese Democracy. Todd Sullivan reported he received a call informing him that Axl had run over the albums with a car.

Axl took Buckethead to disney land and had a chicken coop built in the studio for him.

Supposedly, Axl checked himself into a mental hospital in 2002 after the tour ended for exhaustion.

When Axl first started working on CD, he rented one piece of specialized equipment for more than two years at a cost well into six figures and only used it for a month.

Interesting.. I feel like something worse then exhaustion is going on to check one self into a mental hospital.. Is that 1000+ number confirmed? Seems you give a man like Axl that much stuff, he could be sorting through it for a millennia

He may have a 1000 demos... i mean it took way long and the band had many members, buckethead for instance has released 47 albums in his relatively small career , songs like shackler were nothing but a bucket's demo until axl grabbed it and turned it into a song after bucket left. So he could have a shitload of demos

The "1000 demos" comes from this article published in 2005 by the New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/06/arts/music/06leed.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

"So the studio technicians burned as many as five CD's per week with various mixes of different songs, which were driven to Malibu for Mr. Rose to study. The band's archive of recorded material swelled to include more than 1,000 digital audio tapes and other media, according to people who were there at the time, all elaborately labeled to chart the progress of songs. "It was like the Library of Congress in there," said one production expert who spent time on the album there. By one count, the band kept roughly 20 songs it considered on the A list and another 40 or so in various stages of completion on the B list."

Sure wish Axl and Beta would share those songs with his millions of fans!!!!

• Like 2

Sure wish Axl and Beta would share those songs with his millions of fans!!!!

I think we all do.

I think we're wrong about Axl having a "vault" of music though, I think it's more of a secret underground library where all the music and Paul Tobias is locked up.

Maybe we need to go on a mission like in "National Treasure" to hunt it down.

I remember reading somewhere that Slash once passed out and died in the elevator of a hotel and the only reason he was found and resuscitated was because someone went to inspect why the elevator wasnt working, he had passed out and was stopping the doors from closing.

VICKY HAMILTON (Original GNR manager): Oh yeah. So one day, I walk into the living room, and Kim Fowley (Elecktra record company exec) is sitting on my couch, talking to Axl and Izzy. I don’t think Slash was there that day. Kim is telling them he wants to buy the publishing rights to “Anything Goes,” “Welcome to the Jungle” and “Paradise City,” which was a brand-new song at that point. Three songs that ended up on “Appetite,” and Kim Fowley offers $2,500 for the publishing. Axl wanted to do it! I was like, “Are you fucking kidding me? Those are great songs that are worth a lot more than that!” And Axl goes, “Yeah, but I can write a million songs like those.” I was like, “You can’t write a million songs like THOSE songs. Don’t do it.”

source: http://www.metalsludge.tv/?p=34971

Kim's not doing so well. He's one of those guys who saw just about everyone starting out, I think he had been a child actor like Micky Dolenz, Paul Williams, and Van Dyke Parks. Axl took his songwriting talents for granted when he had help at the time, sounds like bragging and Vicki knew it. Good thing she knocked some sense into him.

Kim has a show on Sirius - Little Steven's Underground Garage, I think. He sounds weird - old, tired, wrung out. But from all I've read, he was always something of a scumbag--the quintessential shady manager who screws the talent over.

And no - Axl couldn't have written a million songs like that. Axl can't write songs by himself. If he could, he would've. How many albums have Izzy, Duff and Slash released? The idea that Axl's only put out one album of his own stuff in 20 years because he's just such a perfectionist kinda strains credulity.

Edited by KinseyHolley

I remember reading somewhere that Slash once passed out and died in the elevator of a hotel and the only reason he was found and resuscitated was because someone went to inspect why the elevator wasnt working, he had passed out and was stopping the doors from closing.

Im glad they revived him, otherwise he would become even more overrated

• Like 2

Im glad they revived him, otherwise he would become even more overrated

Kanada, how is he overrated?

Millions of music fans enjoy his work, especially the music he helped created while in GnR. You might have heard the albums Appetite, Lies and Illusions. You are saying his work on those iconic albums are overrated?

His peers seem to respect him. Even if you don't like a musician personally (after all, don't we all hate musicians that our favorite singer hates?) when looking at their career, isn't it more intelligent to rate that musician's "career" on how his actual peers rank him rather than our own personal likes/dislikes?

So he wrote a bunch of the music (Slash - not Axl) for four amazing albums, one that is considered one of the ten best rock albums of all time. He continues to put out albums for his fans to enjoy. He is very fan friendly. He has been more successful than your God since he left GnR. Fans love him. And his peers respect him. But because you and Axl don't like him..........that means he is overrated? Brilliant logic.

You might want to edit your post.

You don't personally like him, because Axl doesn't like him. Which is fine, you can like/dislike whomever you like. It's just a little weird, but whatever floats your boat.

But to say that he is overrated is just factually wrong. And to be honest, a poor attempt at trolling on your part.

Did you know the voices in the song Coma are real doctors talking? It was said when Axl od on heroin, of course the doctors that worked to keep him alive were talking all medical stuff, so when he recorded Coma he asked them if they would come in and record for the song.

I thought this was awesome. The genius of Axl is just amazing.

Izzy Stradlin wrote 21% of Use Your Illusion.

On 18th January 1986, Guns N' Roses played an original song, a Stradlin composition, called 'Goodnight Tonight' at the Roxy.

Slash pawned his first Les Paul, the Steve Hunter LP, for smack.

The Patience video promo was filmed at the Ambassador Hotel where Bobby Kennedy was assasinated.

Guns N' Roses have had 22 band members.

Guns N' Roses have had, anything between 9-12 managers in their history, (depending on, degree of formality).

Edit: some more...

According to the unreleased Chinese Democracy booklet, Finck co-wrote Shackler's Revenge and Catcher in the Rye, Sinson co-wrote Catcher, Reed also co-wrote Catcher, whereas, Tobias did not co-write Prostitute.

Guns N' Roses signed for a 70,000 advance. They each walked out with 7.500 each; Axl kept his in his socks. They celebrated the signing at Hamburger Hamlets.

If Susan Collins had walked naked down Hollywood Blvd that same day, GN'R would have signed with Chrysalis Records.

Duff has been married three times (to Mandy Brixx, 1988-90; Linda Johnson, 1992-5 and Susan Holmes, 1999- ).

Nobody knows where Slash's 'Appetite' amp is? It was a 100w pre-master that had been modified by SIR. Slash forged a robbery and recorded his Appetite leads. SIR, not fooled for a second, managed to reclaim it from GN'R's rehersal space. Nobody knows where it is today?

Sorum is five years older than Steven Adler.

Both Steven Adler and DJ Ashba were in the Bullet Boys (they probably missed each other by a matter of days). Other Old GN'R-New GN'R oddities: Dizzy Reed played on It's Five O' Clock Somewhere; Josh Freese played on Slash; Slash guests on the Dead Daisies debut.

That we know of, at least three members of Guns N' Roses have had homosexual experiences!

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 3

Did you know the voices in the song Coma are real doctors talking? It was said when Axl od on heroin, of course the doctors that worked to keep him alive were talking all medical stuff, so when he recorded Coma he asked them if they would come in and record for the song.

I thought this was awesome. The genius of Axl is just amazing.

So having doctors voice some spoken words on a record constitutes - in your mind - "genius"?

Your son walks out of a Slash concert because there was too much guitar playing and they played a couple GnR songs......and Axl's "genius is just amazing" because he recorded the voices of a couple doctors for a song. Do you get out of the house much?

Steven Adler was kicked out his house as a teen lived on the streets, had sex with men and was eventually raped buy homosexuals when he was 14. (source: Adlers book)

in that order?

Please provide better context if you can.

edit - because it seems confusing that he would "have sex with men" before he was 14 as your sentence may seem to suggest.

Edited by machinegunner

Steven Adler was kicked out his house as a teen lived on the streets, had sex with men and was eventually raped buy homosexuals when he was 14. (source: Adlers book)

in that order?

Please provide better context if you can.

edit - because it seems confusing that he would "have sex with men" before he was 14 as your sentence may seem to suggest.

He was already shagging older women by 13! :lol:

Adler wrote: "The managers at Starwood (a club or something) were these men in their mid 20's. All they wanted to do was drugs, f**k and party.

They all were gay and I was this cute blonde-haired f**k boy. They just loved me. They gave me Quaaludes and have their way with me. I ended

up doing a lot of things that I didn't understand or really have control over, particularly when I found out these men later died of Aids."

"One time I was walking home along Santa Monica Blvd. and ran into 2 clean cut guys in their 20's. They said they had some bitchin' weed at their pad

so I went with them. We arrived there and there was another guy in his forties, right away I felt uneasy, something wasn't right. This guy got up and

locked the door behind me. The younger guys we not friendly anymore. They slipped up behind me and ran his fingers through my hair. I'll spare you

the ugly details, but they hurt me pretty bad. They didn't beat me up, but they did everything else and it was pretty devastating. I was just 14 at the time."

Adler has been through it.no doubt.

but don't judge him for being a homo when the context was like that.

to say that Slash is overrated ……is it a joke?

the guitar player on lies,AFD,illusions,walk of fame star,he doesn't deserve

respect?

Slash is,if anything,underrated because his best work is with Axl and Axl isn't willing to work with slash.

if Axl had been a reasonable person and done a reunion or reached out to Slash as a bro,the world would know more.

Slash and Duff seems to be the two from original Guns with not super strange lives.

i don't know what Izzy is up to these days but he seems obscure.

and i think Izzy should have showed in Cleveland too.

but again,disrespecting Slash is ridiculous,always was,al;ways will be.

Adler wrote: "The managers at Starwood (a club or something) were these men in their mid 20's. All they wanted to do was drugs, f**k and party.

They all were gay and I was this cute blonde-haired f**k boy. They just loved me. They gave me Quaaludes and have their way with me. I ended

up doing a lot of things that I didn't understand or really have control over, particularly when I found out these men later died of Aids."

"One time I was walking home along Santa Monica Blvd. and ran into 2 clean cut guys in their 20's. They said they had some bitchin' weed at their pad

so I went with them. We arrived there and there was another guy in his forties, right away I felt uneasy, something wasn't right. This guy got up and

locked the door behind me. The younger guys we not friendly anymore. They slipped up behind me and ran his fingers through my hair. I'll spare you

the ugly details, but they hurt me pretty bad. They didn't beat me up, but they did everything else and it was pretty devastating. I was just 14 at the time."

Guys used to hitchhike rides around LA a lot because it got fucking hot in the summer and without a car, not a lot of options. You read about how many predators were at the clubs back in the 70s and even in the 80s, and the cops turned a blind eye to underage girls in the club. There's no way they could get away with it now, but when legal age was 18, a 14-15 year old could pass herself off as legal. Plan B was probably to go to Tijuana. I don't know what the rules were at the time for musicians playing in clubs as far as the age goes.

Adler has been through it.no doubt.

but don't judge him for being a homo when the context was like that.

to say that Slash is overrated ……is it a joke?

the guitar player on lies,AFD,illusions,walk of fame star,he doesn't deserve

respect?

Slash is,if anything,underrated because his best work is with Axl and Axl isn't willing to work with slash.

if Axl had been a reasonable person and done a reunion or reached out to Slash as a bro,the world would know more.

Slash and Duff seems to be the two from original Guns with not super strange lives.

i don't know what Izzy is up to these days but he seems obscure.

and i think Izzy should have showed in Cleveland too.

but again,disrespecting Slash is ridiculous,always was,al;ways will be.

LOL

One more about the Patience video - the Ambassador Hotel, where it was shot, closed down permanently shortly before the video was shot. it stayed closed until 2005, when it was torn down. So Patience was the last film project shot in the hotel while it was still in operational form.

And the Welcome to the Jungle video was shot at the Park Plaza Hotel - another historic LA landmark. The extras were paid $20 each.

• Like 2