The Human Torch IS NOT BLACK.

TombRaider

No seriously, who cares?

I mean they made Perry White black in Man of Steel and nobody gave a shit. What some people fail to realize is that there is no definitive version of any superhero. It doesn't matter if it is Marvel or DC, superhero origins have been rewritten, continuity destroyed and countless different interpretations of every character have been made.

So why does it matter? People were up in arms over the decision to cast Ledger as the Joker and he was fantastic. How about we take a little time and wait and see what his performance is like before judging the guy based on the colour of his skin rather than the strength of his performance.

It doesn't matter if the actors are black, white, blue, pink, purple or red; all that matters is the performance and it is too early to judge. Because y'know, the last time they cast a white actor in the role he did so well...

• Like 1

They're taking decades-old characters and reinventing them with permission of the owners of the characters, but the director and producer should be attaching their names to it more because they're ultimately his to do what he wants with them, I think some of the Batman movies from the Tim Burton era were advertised like that. Comic books have "eras", and the movies should be doing the same thing.

In the graphic novel world, they're free to make the character any race they want, they just have to have good art and a good storyline. We know the movie industry looks to graphic novels to be potential movies, they're finally figuring out Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" 20 plus years later, but he hasn't signed off on it yet. But Frank Miller's "Sin City" and "Road To Perdition" came from that world, and the Miller's "Dark Night" Batman - Christian Bale & Christopher Nolan had read those as his source material for the movies, even though I'm sure they had access to everything DC had in their vaults. I read Darren Aronofsky was working with Miller on the reboot originally, then it got passed on to Christopher Nolan.

The Batman villains and actors were usually good, Adam West is probably more famous on "Family Guy" than he ever was as Batman. It's just when producers get involved and start influencing the changes because they hold the purse strings they can completely turn it into something campy, or when they overload it with famous names.

I just think if the franchise had a success, don't reboot it so soon. It seems like the best thing to do is the trilogy and push for a 4th part as long as it's well written and producers aren't meddling. When they start pulling people out of the Star Wars part 7, it comes off as being a rocky start and that sets the tone for a difficult road ahead. Putting a deadline on it is only good for the producers who want to keep it within budget, but they should have access to money if they run out towards the end, and avoid shortcuts. They'll get all that money in the toy stores and Happy Meals.

I think some actors just do it so they can have an action figure. Some of them own up to it in interviews and would have done it for free.

You get this shit with every movie adaptation. There are these super hardcore fans of the original who are some of the most anal, nitpicking, pedantic dipshits in the world, seemingly unable to understand how the nature of storytelling may differ between media and who whine incessantly when the movie diverges in the smallest way, when any little story is cut, when some obscure concept is ignored, when a character slightly differs from the original description and who have an insane talent of manufacturing the Himalayas out of molehills. Look at Lord of the Rings - movies that are as good as you could get in high fantasy, and still some asses complain about how some absurd concept from the books was dropped or about how the order of the scenes was changed in order to make the trilogy work! And the screenwriters and directors have to pay service to these pedantic fucks to the detriment of their product even though some of the best movie adaptations of all time (Blade Runner, Stand By Me, Shining) only keep the premise of the original and changed the story in order for it to work on screen. You see the Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons and you think that's a super-exaggerated stereotype who cannot exist in reality, but then there he is! millions of him! Just fucking relax and let the movie makers, who are trained and experienced professionals in their field, do their fucking jobs!

• Like 1

I'm pissed off that Miles Teller's doing it. He's astoundingly talented in character roles, but reverts to that cuddly frat boy shtick otherwise. He's obviously trying to balance his acclaimed indie stuff with mainstream fare, which is fine. Except he has the most appalling taste in mainstream fare.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

You get this shit with every movie adaptation. There are these super hardcore fans of the original who are some of the most anal, nitpicking, pedantic dipshits in the world, seemingly unable to understand how the nature of storytelling may differ between media and who whine incessantly when the movie diverges in the smallest way, when any little story is cut, when some obscure concept is ignored, when a character slightly differs from the original description and who have an insane talent of manufacturing the Himalayas out of molehills. Look at Lord of the Rings - movies that are as good as you could get in high fantasy, and still some asses complain about how some absurd concept from the books was dropped or about how the order of the scenes was changed in order to make the trilogy work! And the screenwriters and directors have to pay service to these pedantic fucks to the detriment of their product even though some of the best movie adaptations of all time (Blade Runner, Stand By Me, Shining) only keep the premise of the original and changed the story in order for it to work on screen. You see the Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons and you think that's a super-exaggerated stereotype who cannot exist in reality, but then there he is! millions of him! Just fucking relax and let the movie makers, who are trained and experienced professionals in their field, do their fucking jobs!

What a novel approach to entertainment 'just shut up and like it!' :lol: And it doesn't require one to be in a state of non-relaxtion to stop, point and go 'thats a load of shit', it's easy as you like, i could sit doing it all day with no effect on my blood pressure whatsoever :D

Edited by sugaraylen

What a novel approach to entertainment 'just shut up and like it!' :lol: And it doesn't require one to be in a state of non-relaxtion to stop, point and go 'thats a load of shit', it's easy as you like, i could sit doing it all day with no effect on my blood pressure whatsoever :D

Not what I meant. You don't strike me as the kind of person who hangs around in the more nerdy circles of the internet but if you did you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

it has nothing to do with being nitpicky or anal. it has to do with vastly changing something that has been the way it is for 50 or 60 years. imagine the feelings would be if they decided to reboot the comic book blade and made eric brooks white?

it would be similar to going and buy AFD just to realize all of slash's guitar parts were re recorded with dj ashba. then when you bitch about it people say you are nitpicking and anal about it and just shut up and listen to the album and enjoy it because axl knows what he is doing.

• Like 1

it has nothing to do with being nitpicky or anal. it has to do with vastly changing something that has been the way it is for 50 or 60 years. imagine the feelings would be if they decided to reboot the comic book blade and made eric brooks white?

it would be similar to going and buy AFD just to realize all of slash's guitar parts were re recorded with dj ashba. then when you bitch about it people say you are nitpicking and anal about it and just shut up and listen to the album and enjoy it because axl knows what he is doing.

It wouldn't be similar.

why wouldnt it?

Because it's an adaptation. It's bound to be different by nature of being told in a different medium.

I don't think a musical analogy completely works but I'll try: I'd liken it to a cover of a song in a different genre. Like I'll do a jazz cover of your country song and you hear that I'm replacing the banjo solo with a piano solo and you get angry about it even though a banjo has no business in jazz.

"vastly changing"? The only notable things about Johnny Storm are his attitude and his powers, as long as those are in tact then...

Race shouldn't matter when it comes to comic book super heroes unless it plays a significant role like say Psylock who's asian background plays a significant role in her storyline

That being said, If a white person plays a black role in a comic book how the fuck is that racist??

and vice versa?

Edited by Gia

Race shouldn't matter when it comes to comic book super heroes unless it plays a significant role like say Psylock who's asian background plays a significant role in her storyline

That being said, If a white person plays a black role in a comic book how the fuck is that racist??

and vice versa?

It is not racist, it is racist when people change things just to do it for the sake of it without thinking of the story.

Anyways, this guys seems like a good actor. If the movie sucks it won't be because of him. After all, human torch was replaced by a talking robot in the 80s for the cartoon.

And I love Psylock! Probably my favorite female super hero

^ lol

I am totally ok with this. In fact I think its interesting. When a character has been around for decades and you make a new adaptation of him, why not change something for variety's sake. The movies are not bound by the rules of Earth-616 (the mainstream Marvel universe) or vice versa