Dead Flowers - Axl's vocals

I know, we're so sick of Axl voice threads. I really am too. But this came on shuffle and felt like posting.

Just heard a version of Dead Flowers from the final GNR gig in 93 and god it is just so good. Like, I just didn't expect to love it this much. But particularly Axl sounds AMAZING on it. Its the little things in his voice that are just amazing. His phrasing. The way he sings "Send me dead flowers by the US maiiiil" is just so excellent.

I looked it up on Youtube so I could post an example of what I heard and saw they played it in 2012 with Izzy. Honestly, I was really surprised that they did it really well and although Axl was different it was a really good effort on his part for what it is.

I guess I didn't really have a point. Never heard this cover before. I guess if there's a point, its that this is what I miss. The way there could be a good performance and Axl just makes it great. Its really not a knock to him nowadays even if it sounds and is implied that way. What I mean is I miss that back in 93, he really would transform these songs when played live (sometimes night to night when it came to something like Jungle) and nowadays you just know its gonna be pretty formulaic. I'm not really saying I miss that old band, I'm just saying its sad that we've lost that unpredictable Axl. I guess I think that a lot, but he really shined here and then having such a current comparison made me really miss that even with a reunion we'll never get THIS Axl back again. Thats all. Hope I don't get flamed and that this isn't too old hat.

Axl was at the top his game in 1993, that was best he had sounded since 1988. Perfect mix of rasp and vocal accuracy which he lacked in 1991/1992.

I dig the second video but man the old band doing Dead Flowers like that is just something else....

That entire acoustic set from that 7.16.93 Argentina show (second to last one) is tremendous. Band and Axl.

Also think that concert has the best 'Dead Horse' too.

The impeccable sound quality helps too.

That is true about Dead Horse. Thats one of my favorites and I didn't think he'd ever really properly be able to do it live cause its just so demanding, and he kills it at those Argentina shows.

I dig the second video but man the old band doing Dead Flowers like that is just something else....

It really makes you think "how were they so good at ALL covers?!"

I've oddly enough have never watched any '93 shows. Recommendations?

Paris, 1993. Hartford, 1993. Sacramento, 1993. Werchter, 1993. Argentina, 1993. Milton Keynes, 1993.

I've been at Milton Keynes, both days at Nijmegen, and Werchter. All these shows were amazingly good, really good, and Dead Flowers was downright a blast. Gives me the goose bumps every time I watch it. Absolutely great. Shame there's no good quality vids of those shows apart from the Werchter bootleg. The sound quality of Dead Flowers on there is good.

Axl was at the top his game in 1993, that was best he had sounded since 1988. Perfect mix of rasp and vocal accuracy which he lacked in 1991/1992.