Foreign Cinema

Facekicker

Basically anything by Kurosawa. Everyone mentions Rashamon, Yojimbo, and Seven Samurai. and those were great. But also check out Ran and Ikiru. Great movies.

Fellini is another one to check out, 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita, La Strada, and Nights of Calabria. Bergman's Wild Strawberries, The Virgin Spring and The Seventh Seal.

Bicycle Thieves is great. The Soviet produced War and Peace is probably the most ambitious film ever made. It cost so much it came nowhere near to profit but they didn't care as long the movie was made. I also heard great things about The Great Beauty which won the Oscar this year.

I went through a big foreign film phase a few years back...hungrily devoured all the classics, the Criterions, etc.

In recent age I think the Colors trilogy is one of the best film series you can invest time in, and if you want a good accessible film that will keep you on the edge of your seat, The Vanishing is one of the best thrillers ever made. Any of the old Kurosawa films released on Criterion are a must-see.

Recently I've watched a Soviet film called Stalker. Pretty good.

If you liked that one you should watch Solaris made by the same director Andrei Tarkovsky. Really good movie but the first 40 minutes are really slow (and I really like slow movies) but after that it's all great.

The best froeign cinema I think by far is Hollywood.

But I like films from Hong Kong, Jamaica, Mexico and Brazil etc...

There also was this French produced episode of the original series of The Twilight Zone I liked as well.

I've seen a lot of Australian TV, a lot, and films, in fact, it's almost all Family stuff such as kids shows and movies and soap operas.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Pretty much anything from Jean Renoir, Ingmar Bergman, Agnes Varda, Jean Luc Goddard, Fellini, Kurosawa, Eisenstien, Ozu, Fassbinder, Tarkovsky, Jena-Pierre Melville, Robert Bresson, Almodovar, Jean Cocteau, Jules Dassin, Chantal Akerman, Truffaut etc. All the early Bertolucci. There's a ton. The best place to start is the Criterion Collection library.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 1

Polish director Andrzej Wajda is worth checking out. Especially his war trilogy A Generation, Kanal and Ashes and Diamonds. The third film having an aspiring performance by actor Zbigniew Cybulski known as The Polish Brando.

Also check out his other films

Man of Marble

Man of Iron

The Promised Land

Maids of Wilko

Danton

Katyn

Korczak (A holocaust film in league with Schindler's List and The Pianist, maybe even greater)