Should Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven write AFD 2?

I don't think this will happen for as long as the classic line up are all alive & the faint possibility of a reunion still exists. They wouldn't want to do anything to risk the massive amounts of money they would make.

If they did write AFD 2 without Axl, I think they should do it with a guest singer for each song (like Slash's 1st solo album) & it would probably be good. With Axl on board, I think it could still be great!

Why don't they be completely contrary and write Apathy For Creation with all the riffs back to front, the solos play during the verses and the drums are banged with the guitars and the guitars screeched by the drumsticks, it won't be a particularly well performed album but it'll be compelling and full of rock n' roll chaos, which is what the stuck in the past fans crave after all.

Welcome To The Canyon

It's Not So Easy

Daytrain

Out Ta Get U

Mrs Brownstone

Paradise Island

My Rochelle

Don't Think About You

Sweet Child O' Thine

I'm Crazy

Anything, Hoes

Rocket King

actually a lot of the parts on CD sound like AFD played backwards. Jungle descending intro, Chi dem ascending intro, SCOM Better intros, Scraped is the My Michelle riff backwards, Shackler's bass parts are Easy bass parts played backwards, Sorry is Don't Cry in reverse etc.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

The Conspiracy Incident!!!

Why don't they be completely contrary and write Apathy For Creation with all the riffs back to front, the solos play during the verses and the drums are banged with the guitars and the guitars screeched by the drumsticks, it won't be a particularly well performed album but it'll be compelling and full of rock n' roll chaos, which is what the stuck in the past fans crave after all.

Welcome To The Canyon

It's Not So Easy

Daytrain

Out Ta Get U

Mrs Brownstone

Paradise Island

My Rochelle

Don't Think About You

Sweet Child O' Thine

I'm Crazy

Anything, Hoes

Rocket King

actually a lot of the parts on CD sound like AFD played backwards. Jungle descending intro, Chi dem ascending intro, SCOM Better intros, Scraped is the My Michelle riff backwards, Shackler's bass parts are Easy bass parts played backwards, Sorry is Don't Cry in reverse etc.

The Conspiracy Incident!!!

Unfortunately, Slash has no interest in making his GNR 'comrades' a priority. He's entirely focused on developing the Slash music brand.

He is desperate not to be defined by his tenure with GNR.

^ this is one of the worst posts I've ever read on mygnr.
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, Slash has no interest in making his GNR 'comrades' a priority. He's entirely focused on developing the Slash music brand.

It is.

What I've never understood is why these 4 have never got together to write a kick ass hard rock record.

Then maybe see if they can get Axl interested in singing on it, adding lyrics maybe.

If Axl was interested find some else, Myles or Bach.

would that be such a bad idea?

The first VR album fancied itself to be AFD2, and it fucking sucked.

Who wants to listen to a bunch of new songs by middle aged millionaires pretending they're still 20 year old street trash? Not I sir.

Izzy worked with them (minus Adler) for abit before VR right? Wonder if they worked on anything song wise..

Yeh, but not a lot is really known about those sessions, though I think Taz Bentley (drummer for Izzy Stradlin/Loaded) was on drums for that stuff as he talked about recording with Izzy, Slash and Duff. Here's some articles from the old chopaway archive which talk about these sessions:-

Slash, Duff & Izzy Reunite: Three Out Of Five Ain't Bad

After decade apart, trio collaborate toward Stradlin solo LP.

It may not be a Guns N' Roses reunion per se, but it's the closest thing to having the original

lineup back together again in quite some time former GN'R guitarist Slash and bassist Duff

McKagan are collaborating with fellow former Gunner Izzy Stradlin on his upcoming solo album.

It's not the first time that former GN'Rmates have joined forces since leaving the group

McKagan played bass on Stradlin's last two solo albums (see "Izzy Readies Second Post-GN'R

Solo Effort"), and Slash has jammed over the years with Stradlin (see "Slash: Making His Mark

Without Guns") but the three haven't played together since the Use Your Illusion albums in

1991, when Stradlin left the band.

"The thing with Izzy's [solo] record," Slash said, "is that I got involved with him because we talk on

the phone a lot, and he's just always doing these anonymous projects in his own quiet little

fashion. It's just nice to get together and write again.

"We got together to work on songs, and they sound like Izzy, like Izzy and Slash, so they're easy

to recognize that way," he continued. "They have a sense of humor about them, but they're loose

and laid back. They're not heavy-duty, arrangement-oriented songs. They're just basic ideas that

we thought were cool, so we threw it down."

Slash said that he wrote and recorded a total of five songs with Stradlin in November around the

holidays, but the songs still require about a day's worth of "fixing," as well as background vocals.

Meanwhile, McKagan said that he's laid down the bass tracks for an album's worth of songs in two

different sessions in November and December at a studio in Los Angeles.

"Me and Slash are just the session guys, man," McKagan said, laughing. "I just went in and did

bass tracks for the first three songs in an hour and kept at it."

As with his previous three solo albums, Stradlin penned the bulk of the material and performs lead

vocals. The LP is currently untitled and there is no target release date other than late summer,

with Internet sales being the main focus, according to his management and label, SFV Records.

Stradlin was unavailable for comment, as he is still in the studio working on the album. His camp

did stress that since the record is unfinished, there's no telling what will make the final cut.

Still, Slash and McKagan are optimistic that the sessions will see the light and could perhaps lead

to more. "I'd never rule out the idea of us three doing something with somebody singing,"

McKagan said. "That possibility is always there. Everything just sounds better than it ever has, but

we'll see. We also realize that there's a bit of history involved, and no one wants to screw it up, not

for nostalgic purposes. Only for artistic purposes.

"We wouldn't want to be that band in 'Rock Star,' or be silly," the bassist continued. "It's great to

be able to afford to say that, that we're not doing this to make a bunch of dough, and we would

only give back for the right purposes.

"We're just so intertwined," McKagan added. "It's not unlike a relationship with brothers. We've

lived through a lot together, all through our 20s and early 30s. You know how a lot of people have

college buddies? We're like that. We'll never not be friends. Music is a part of that, but it's beyond

that. We're family."

Source: MTV.com (Jan 24 2002)

2012 - Taz Bentley Interview (Dallas Observer)

This is an excerpt from an interview Taz did with the Dallas Observer in February 2012.

Dallas Observer: Before I ask about 76, did you ever play any shows with Izzy Stradlin?

Taz: Yeah, we toured Japan once. About once every year we go out and do an album. He doesn't believe

in "the machine" at all. He hates the industry, so initially he licensed the albums overseas and

wouldn't tell anyone in America. He's a really big fan of the Internet. Now we'll go record and he'll

slap it up on iTunes. That's been a hoot. Duff's on most of them. There was a time when Slash,

Izzy, Duff and I got together a few times and recorded some stuff. I think it was Duff who called it

Four Wheels, No Axl. But none of that stuff ever got released. It's kind of fun to sit around, be a fly

on the wall, playing the drums with these guys and say, "How did I get here?"

-------------

The material recorded by Izzy/Slash/Duff/Taz may have been re-recorded in April/May 2003 by Izzy, and later released as "Like A Dog" in 2005. Their are some subtle overlaps betweens Izzys Dog album and what became Velvet Revolver.... such as VR's "Do It For Kids" using the same riff as Izzys "Bomb" (something Duff acknowledged in an interview somewhere), and Slashs biography shows a photo of "The Project" with the caption "We may or may not have been working on a song called "Snafu" (a song on the dog album).

Who knows, would love to hear any of this material though :headbang:

It is.

How can anyone refute the fact Slash has focussed on furthering his own career for quite a few years now? That's essentially what NGOGs saying isn't it? What is bad about that?

LOL @ NGOG once again proven wrong. One of the worst posters here.

"He is desperate not to be defined by his tenure with GNR. "

"He was at HoF playung Guns songs"

"Yeah but..."

:lol:

I don't care what you think about my posts; you're a sad little cupcake.

As I already pointed out, Slash performing at the Hall of Fame is a stupid way to question my theory that Slash is all about Slash. Don't pretend you can't figure out why. Why didn't Duff, or the leader singer of Adler's Appetite front the performance? Because Slash dictates the activity of old GNR.

Hahaha holy fuck did you actually post that thinking you were making an intelligent point? ProstituteComa is right you're one of the worst posters here hahaha!

It is.

How can anyone refute the fact Slash has focussed on furthering his own career for quite a few years now? That's essentially what NGOGs saying isn't it? What is bad about that?
To begin with?

Because when Axl Rose has no interest in making music with old GNR, he is celebrated by NGOG as a 'true artiste.'

Double-standard much?

What would constitute something qualifying as AFD2 though? How could a fanbase collectively bless a record as connoting this elusive concept? Was Chinese Democracy really UYI3, just with different musicians but having Axl's crafting and vocals lending it GNR credibility? What say you?

I just think with the four of them playing writing and playing they might capture some of the spirit and energy of AFD. That's all a reunion record would be trying to do anyway?

Obviously Axl is a big part of GNR but if they got the majority of a record done...

I love AFD, but honestly nowadays I listen to maybe 6-7 songs on the album and skip the rest. I've always prefered the Illusion albums. Slash's guitar tone, Axl's vocals, the more intense drumming, it all came together to create a monstrous album. Estranged is the perfect ending to GN'R if you really listen to the music and lyrics as one.