Should I start drinking again??

estrangedtwat

Drinking.  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So. Next week will mark 365 days without so much as even a DROP of alcohol entering my body.

I initially wanted to see if I could break my record of 6 months, and I ended up doubling it.

Now I wanna drink again. Especially after reading Miser's posts about how he enjoys a nice wine spritzer in the evenings and is developing quite the drinking problem.

Now me, I was never a full on LUSH like Axlisold or Dazey....but when I DO drink, I don't stop til I'm good and black-out drunk. It's why I quit basically...it's either all or nothing with me. I can't have like a glass of wine with a meal....as soon as it hits my lips, I'll have to drink like 3 bottles.

But I'm also fat and I have high blood pressure and shit....I suppose binge drinking could be really dangerous now.

I don't know. I was really good for a year and now I wanna reward myself by drinking til I can't function. But once I start down that path, I might start doing it all the time again.

So tell me what to do, strangers on a message board for a washed up hard rock band from the 80s.....your opinion and advice is obviously the most important in my life!

Guest Len B'stard

I don't understand this idea where booze and death, misery and destruction are related. It's just a social lubricant, it's common as a cup of tea, it really isn't the beginning of some sharp downward spiral that will signal the end of your existence. That said, if you got problems upstairs then try solving them first, then drink afterwards, when your heads straight and you're in a position to actually enjoy it's effects instead of sitting around in your bedroom deciding what shade of black you wanna paint the walls and windows.

If you feel like it's that much of an issue for you, then don't. Not a drop, and keep it going. If you don't think it makes much of a difference, then by all means, but bare in mind that your tolerance will be significantly lower than it used to be for a while, so go easy out there.

My dad was 58 and was going down a pretty slippery sloap when it comes to drinking, so he decided to get clean. Easily the best decision of his life. He became a totally different (read:better) person.

Unfortunatley he died the day before Memorial Day, most likely due to years of drinking and smoking. It was 4 and a half years of sobriety, to the day. I, like you, used to get extremely hammered every time I would drink.

Now I'm going to try and quit completely. So many wasted moments (pun intended) from drinking...it isn't worth it. Especially if you can't control it.

• Like 1

My dad was 58 and was going down a pretty slippery sloap when it comes to drinking, so he decided to get clean. Easily the best decision of his life. He became a totally different (read:better) person.

Unfortunatley he died the day before Memorial Day, most likely due to years of drinking and smoking. It was 4 and a half years of sobriety, to the day. I, like you, used to get extremely hammered every time I would drink.

Now I'm going to try and quit completely. So many wasted moments (pun intended) from drinking...it isn't worth it. Especially if you can't control it.

I'm very sorry about your loss. I can't imagine how difficult that must be.

I'm very sorry about your loss. I can't imagine how difficult that must be.

Terrible because he was only 63 and it was completely unexpected. But his sobriety is going to be the main point of my eulogy (his funeral is tomorrow).

Anyway that was just my 2 cents. I happened to be thinking along the same lines you were so I figured I'd share that.

I don't understand this idea where booze and death, misery and destruction are related. It's just a social lubricant,

Oh...you've also been in one of those wild parties?

Seriously, you've been, as Cher put it, strong enough to go a whole year without drinking. Maybe you are also strong enough to have just 1 and stop. Anyway, if you think you're not gonna get it, don't do it. It will not make your life better.

Also, what Len said.

Christ man....so sorry to hear that. Tomorrow will be a very rough day for you. Resist the urge to drink, if you really want to be clean.

I thought I would get an overwhelmingly pro-drinking response to my query....I'm reconsidering it now.

Maybe I should just stay off it. Not re-introduce it to my body after an entire year without.

Guest Len B'stard

I don't understand this idea where booze and death, misery and destruction are related. It's just a social lubricant,

Oh...you've also been in one of those wild parties?

Yeah, avoid the nibbles man :lol:

So sorry to hear about your father Crazyman. :(

RE: Should I start drinking again?

DO-WHAT-YOU - WANT

-TO-DO

It's your body, your temple, your crack-house, your thing, treat it how you want to treat it, it's up to you... make it you're Chuck E Cheese for all I care, as long as you're gd/happy - know what you're doing. :)

Edited by Snake-Pit

So. Next week will mark 365 days without so much as even a DROP of alcohol entering my body.

I initially wanted to see if I could break my record of 6 months, and I ended up doubling it.

Now I wanna drink again. Especially after reading Miser's posts about how he enjoys a nice wine spritzer in the evenings and is developing quite the drinking problem.

Now me, I was never a full on LUSH like Axlisold or Dazey....but when I DO drink, I don't stop til I'm good and black-out drunk. It's why I quit basically...it's either all or nothing with me. I can't have like a glass of wine with a meal....as soon as it hits my lips, I'll have to drink like 3 bottles.

But I'm also fat and I have high blood pressure and shit....I suppose binge drinking could be really dangerous now.

I don't know. I was really good for a year and now I wanna reward myself by drinking til I can't function. But once I start down that path, I might start doing it all the time again.

So tell me what to do, strangers on a message board for a washed up hard rock band from the 80s.....your opinion and advice is obviously the most important in my life!

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. Whatever it used to do to you, it will do that to you 10 times worse now that you've been off of it for a year. Don't do it. Don't drink. You wouldn't be rewarding yourself with a drink. You would be causing yourself a great deal of harm. You would also undo all of your great work you've done over the past year. You would hate yourself for it too. You've done a fine job. Be proud of yourself. Find a real way to reward yourself. Save your money and go somewhere special. DON'T DRINK. You will regret it. I promise you will. If you need to talk about it more, keep this thread going. If you want to talk private, feel free to PM me. Whatever you do, don't pick up that one drink. One drink is poison to a person that can't stop. It's your Kryptonite. Hang in there.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease.

BAH HA HA HA HA

lolno

Guest Len B'stard

I'm willing to bet that most people on this forum couldn't even hack a full blown alcoholics daily intake even for the one day. I've heard so much shit regarding alcoholism it's untrue. My favorite one is 'anyone that drinks with any kind of consistent regularity is an alcoholic' and it's like uh, sorry, what? :lol: So if i have one sip of vodka by than rationale, one sip a day I'm a fuckin' alkie? Get the right the fuck out of town with that, fuck off, total bullshit.

'If you're not addicted then why do you do it everyday?'

'uh, cuz i like it'

'thats what all addicts say!'

Honestly, it puts my fuckin' brain to sleep. Addiction to alcohol is a very very very extreme thing, proper fuckin' pissheads, people that do 3 bottles of vodka every day, the kind of real fuckin' addiction where when you quit there's a chance the detoxification could fuckin' kill just cuz of the sheer shock to your system, THATS fuckin' alcoholism, when you have cells in your body that are dependent on a serious heavyweight alcohol intake or else you shake to where you can't hold a pen and you get the shits and sweats and feel like screaming at the walls, thats alcoholism and that takes a lot of hard drinking to get to, not a couple of pints and a packet of cheese and onion down the pub everyday. I fancy myself a bit of a drinker but honestly i don't think I could even do two bottles of vodka in one day, i really don't (if you spread it out over the whole day from waking to bedtime then i might actually :D), put it this way, I wouldn't exactly call the resultant effect my idea of a good time. Most people would be planking before they even finished one.

Edited by sugaraylen