Locomotive Live

July 19, 1991 - Mountain View, CA - The first performance of "Locomotive".
July 30, 1991 - Inglewood, CA
August 3, 1991 - Inglewood, CA
December 13, 1991 - New York, NY
February 20, 1992 - Tokyo, Japan - The last known performance of the song.

These are certain dates ... if they played it on some gig which the audio/video isn't available, that's another story then...

• Like 3

July 19, 1991 - Mountain View, CA - The first performance of "Locomotive".

July 30, 1991 - Inglewood, CA

August 3, 1991 - Inglewood, CA

December 13, 1991 - New York, NY

February 20, 1992 - Tokyo, Japan - The last known performance of the song.

These are certain dates ... if they played it on some gig which the audio/video isn't available, that's another story then...

There is a bootleg where five live performances avaiable I think the jul 30. show isn't recorded (or not in circulating) All of the other performances were recorded

Btw The 12.13 1991 MSG performance is my fav On the Tokyo performance is probably the master tape sped up a bit, too fast

I was at the December 13, 1991 show at MSG. They also played Breakdown that night.

Now sir i seriously envy you

My holy grail is this show in high quality

• Like 1

I'm sure they could play it live now and it would sound about the same as their renditions of Yesterdays.

I highly doubt that. Locomotive is a lot more fast paced, less spots to take breaths, and higher notes.

And triple layering, it would sound off. Though they'd probably just stick a backing track to it

Is this the only time they played it live?

According to a Youtube comment, they played it 5x. Not sure, maybe some GNR Historian here can answer this.

EDIT ^^^ Wizard

I remember someone telling me they've never played it live before. This is a huge discovery for me :P

I remember someone telling me they've never played it live before. This is a huge discovery for me :P

Me too! I've been lied to!

By Slash haters/NuGNR hardcore fans!!!

Axl couldn't even nail it back then

Nobody could nail this song live...ever try to sing it in the car? Impossible!

Seriously. I recorded myself singing for shits n giggles and I didn't do so hot. :shrugs: Had fun doing it though

Of course NuGNR could play this. They did Estranged just fine. They aren't stupid musicians. They play 3+ hours a night. Can you do that?

The question is could Axl keep up and sing this song today? I'd say he could sing it as well as he sings Oh My God these days.

Edited by 31illusions

Axl couldn't even nail it back then

Nobody could nail this song live...ever try to sing it in the car? Impossible!

Seriously. I recorded myself singing for shits n giggles and I didn't do so hot. :shrugs: Had fun doing it though

I recorded this, I sounded fine.