Locomotive is the most progressive song of all gnr time

Era Vulgaris is brutal. Great album. Took me a while to get into it though and some weed.

Couldn't agree more. It takes a long time to make any sense of what it is trying to do. It took me a long while to get into it. In fact I only started listening to it again after seeing them at a festival last year. It has completely changed the way I look at music now.

Regarding Era a lot of people say 'how come fun machine didn't end up on the final cut?'. And the answer is simple. Because thats what classic rock text books would have told you to do. So Josh did the opposite.

Yeah Josh is a cool motherfucker. What did you think about Like Clockwork? Don't think he ever put out a bad album as QOTSA.

Era Vulgaris is brutal. Great album. Took me a while to get into it though and some weed.

Couldn't agree more. It takes a long time to make any sense of what it is trying to do. It took me a long while to get into it. In fact I only started listening to it again after seeing them at a festival last year. It has completely changed the way I look at music now.

Regarding Era a lot of people say 'how come fun machine didn't end up on the final cut?'. And the answer is simple. Because thats what classic rock text books would have told you to do. So Josh did the opposite.

Yeah Josh is a cool motherfucker. What did you think about Like Clockwork? Don't think he ever put out a bad album as QOTSA.

It comes across as a very personal album TBH. It shows a much deeper and sensitive side, compared to the normal 'fuck you' swagger. The quality of the sound, and mixing is ridiculous. I don't ever recall hearing an album so well mixed, even songs with tons of shit going on like 'Fairweather friend', you can pick out every single individual note of every instrument. Compare that to the 'one sound fits every song' debut album, and it shows how far they have evolved.

Is it musically as good as the previous efforts? Definitely not as catchy. Its the only album where riffs don't actually stand out too much. But as with anything that is QOTSA, its been precision engineered to sound that way, nothing is left to chance. I think it is one of those albums I will listen to in 10 years and go 'holy fuck balls, now I get it....'

• Like 1

It comes across as a very personal album TBH. It shows a much deeper and sensitive side, compared to the normal 'fuck you' swagger. The quality of the sound, and mixing is ridiculous. I don't ever recall hearing an album so well mixed, even songs with tons of shit going on like 'Fairweather friend', you can pick out every single individual note of every instrument. Compare that to the 'one sound fits every song' debut album, and it shows how far they have evolved.

Is it musically as good as the previous efforts? Definitely not as catchy. Its the only album where riffs don't actually stand out too much. But as with anything that is QOTSA, its been precision engineered to sound that way, nothing is left to chance. I think it is one of those albums I will listen to in 10 years and go 'holy fuck balls, now I get it....'

That album specfically rewards you with repeated listens. It's crazy. But I need to be in the mood for it, which I am. I really like I Appear Missing, The vampyre thing song, and all the rest. The closer for the album is really cool too. What I like about Josh and his band members is that every album is different, yet you can't mistake it for anything else but QOTSA.

That album specfically rewards you with repeated listens. It's crazy. But I need to be in the mood for it, which I am. I really like I Appear Missing, The vampyre thing song, and all the rest. The closer for the album is really cool too. What I like about Josh and his band members is that every album is different, yet you can't mistake it for anything else but QOTSA.

And there my friend, you have summed it up perfectly. Every album a completely different journey, but unmistakably QOTSA. This is where Chinese Democracy completely fell down for me. It is an album centred around the ideas and thoughts of a guy who doesn't play guitar to a decent standard. I get the impression that most of the guitars have been 'added' on top of Axl's original ideas. Which is a very different concept to an album that is 'cooked' with different flavours from the outset. What excites me about QOTSA is that I think their best is still yet to come. Unfortunately for the band I grew up with (GNR), its clear that the heart stopped beating a long time ago.

And there my friend, you have summed it up perfectly. Every album a completely different journey, but unmistakably QOTSA. This is where Chinese Democracy completely fell down for me. It is an album centred around the ideas and thoughts of a guy who doesn't play guitar to a decent standard. I get the impression that most of the guitars have been 'added' on top of Axl's original ideas. Which is a very different concept to an album that is 'cooked' with different flavours from the outset. What excites me about QOTSA is that I think their best is still yet to come. Unfortunately for the band I grew up with (GNR), its clear that the heart stopped beating a long time ago.

:max:

Chinese is complex and progressive as fuck.

chinese tried to be over the top and came out very very mediocre
I do not think it is mediocre, but the album is not something I'd call complex or progressive by any means. If there's something truly complex, that comes from either Bucket or Ron. There are some great drumming from Brain as well as some special Axl moments, but they dont reach the virtuoso status that both guitarists aforementioned in this album did.
  • Like 1

Putting GNR and 'progressive' in the same sentence is quite frankly ridiculous. I don't even think Locomotive has a tempo shift? As someone pointed out, If GNR was a student in the 'Classic Rock Conformity' class, it would be an 'A' grade student. Let me give you an insight. If you take a guitar tuned in standard, you can play a G sharp minor pentatonic on the entire song, without it sounding out of place.

I love listening to GNR when I need a bit of sanity and easy listening music. My normal diet of progressive music features stuff like this:

I think people are making the mistake of thinking of prog as "heavy" listening. a song can be progressive without technical abnormalities and frequent changes. This song by queens definitely is progressive and locomotive is mildly progressive but only on account of intro and outro. NR is the most progressive GNR song in my opinion and nobody has yet to provide any arguments otherwise. sure, it's not 2112 by rush or octavarium or a change of seasons but in a more song structure kind of way is similar to some DT and Rush songs

Josh had one of the most miserable jobs you can think of - tarring roofs in Palm Springs. Maybe that makes him a pain in the ass to work with because he doesn't want to go back to doing that.

Dont be silly. You just keep revealing yourself as completely clueless on the subject by avoiding to answer and talking down on on people instead, completely unjustified,

Locomotive is barely progressive. It is more progressive than, say, KOHD but it is less progressive than NR which in turn is less progressive and by quite a margin than say Learning to Live by Dream Theater or any other truly progressive songs from the prog genres but it is also more progressive than some songs by prog artists. Take DT, they have a lot of songs that are not progressive or at least less progressive than NR from all of their albums (afterlife, status seeker, another day, pull me under, inocence faded, hollow years, spirit carries on, solitary shell, i walk beside you, forsaken, constant motion, wither, bemeath the.surface, along.for the ride and many other. second part of Rush catalouge is mostly less progressive than NR

every song ever written can be placed somewhere on the continuum of least progressive on one extreme and most progressive on the other

Progressive is different from other genres in that it is not a genre per se but a manner of composing so you can have progressive pop/rock/metal(and.all metal subgenres)/rap/country/electronic even childrens songs can be or be made more or less progressive than one another and thats why there isnt a genre named progressive. theres always another word there = progressive.rock, pgogressive metal, symphonic prog, crossover prog etc etc

Edited by the rush

This is a game and you lost. At first, I thought about having this discussion but it quickly became more about having you continuously ask for my thoughts over and over, only to not give you the satisfaction but get the amusement of your incessant explanations of why nr is truly prog.

Take care of yourself bud.

ofcourse you said that. even your replys are so predictable and not progressive at all. if i lost it is because you are trolling me but if not i dont see discussions as something you win or lose because thats childish. i wanted to have a serious discussion and maybe modify my opinion on prog if you managed to mention some valid points but you failed to mention any points, let alone valid ones

Edited by the rush

• 1 month later...

I don't know what's the definition of "progressive" the OP holds for truth, but it is certainly far from mine.

What I consider as prog is a song that is very long compared to standard pop and/or rock formats

==> 8.42 is not that long (check out Rush, Genesis, or even Dream Theater...)

No clear Intro/verse/Chorus/solo/Outro formula

==> Locomotive respects the usual rock song formula

Unusual tempo, rythm variations, complexity

==> not locomotive at all : Rythm stays the same. Plus, I don't really have the impression that there is a lot of variations in key. Even the soli are the exact same type as every Slash soli (does not mean they are bad). Drums are laughable on how they are predictable, which IMHO puts that song far far far away from the prog genre.

I don't really think the song progresses into something else. It's pretty linear until the outro. The outro is brilliant, but it seems like it's an other song that is pasted...

Well, that said, I don't have the pretention to be the only one who knows what prog rock is or must be, and I can be wrong.

locomotive as i said in the title is the most progressive song of all gnr songs of all time - it doesn't mean that its necessarily fits the prog genre 100%
well, i think laparka covered most of prog characteristics but I dont think a song has to be long to be prog. length is irrelevant in my opinion. I look at prog like a continuum in which every song can be more or less progressive. considering that locomotive is pretty repetitive an has a giant middle section that is samey, the only thing that makes locomotive more progressive than dont cry are the lengthy intro and outro so i would say tat locomotive is more prog than some and less prog than some other gnr songs.

having said that, a lot of gnr songs are progressive to a certain extent (not in the league of early rush or dream theater but more progressive than most mainstream pop rock or metal bands

agree with most here ... any other examples you could mention?

so for levelling this thread out lets say floyd is the top benchmark for prog rock and that should make it easier to understand how gnr is in the same league with the outros and changes....duff goes at length to say gnr changed songs quite a bit which didn't happen so much - you can see carouselambra with led zep which really isn't but diff touches the points especially when you look at time and year of when songs come out relative to the other stuff out there

GNR only seem to be about as progressive as Led Zepp went?

I'd say Shackler's, ITW, Prostitute, maybe the whole of CD came out of a progressive creative process. chances are taken with arrangements and styles. not really sure if that is progressive. I would call UYI more expansive than progressive. AFD is pretty traditional.