Locomotive is the most progressive song of all gnr time

imo it's axl's vision of where the future of gnr should have been heading - massive beginnings with elaborate outro's similar to some elements of his new stuff but far better, i don't think there's another gnr tune for that matter that is comparable to locomotive, it changes so much! it's like a bit heavy on the metal guitar side but not in a bad way and the piano outro is very very good, it's a very weird song too!

thoughts?

• Like 1

I think the fact that it's so unique and ambitious for GNR is why it is so revered, no need to repeat if you've explored all the nooks and crannies possible in the two monoliths of heavy ass riffing and swagger combined with stream of consciousness pure bittersweet vitriol and confused shrieks of a half-mad man. Between Coma and Loco they've done all necessary in that territory, maybe The General will expand this avenue of song structure. Just think of the fucking scope you've got with NR, Estranged, Loco, Coma epics, I know TWAT is considered an epic due to the solo/screams but it's nowhere near this level of grandiosity. I am waiting for something from new GNR to go off into the stratosphere like those four.

If Axl's got something else to say in that level of intense soliloquy and the band can bring the goods for that much elastic to bend, then great, if not, fine. It's gotta be killer and real if you go for something that ambitious in GNR's mechanics these days.

Perfect as it is, Axl's lyrics have the right weight and the solos are too good to deposit somewhere, nothing wrong with excess when it's that imperative to the whole slab of emotional dynamic.

maybe that's why towards the end of the guitar parts i am yearning for the change to take place - i guess its the right timing for it to change but it's a tiny bit tiring and certainly is an investment to listen to

Loco is fantastic it's a long song and even being long at the end I'm just left wanting more, not wanting it to end, wishing Axl would just Wail on forever over slash guitar. Lol

Nothing really to long on Chinese right like what was the longest song on there? Must be hard to make a 6min+ song and make it good. I wonder if Axl has anymore in the vaults. I have faith he has Afew great songs left over, mostly due to different musicians quotes saying there favorite songs and how they arnt on Chinese. I think fortus said that I think bumble has been pretty positive about atlas (in that one video steam he was like " ooo atlas I really really want to play it but I can't here's one lick!" and didn't one of the drummers (brain maybe) give that description of Seven. I trust those guys opinions. I don't think he has like an absurd amount of crazy amazing songs but definitely Afew that we are really going to like a lot. Chinese vaulted Afew songs into a lot of people top 10 (some people top 5) lists of gnr songs. I think the next album will do the same wether it be one great song or 5 there will be some good stuff.

• Like 1

Given how long (and fucking great) Atlas Shrugged actually is, the song would need to be at least 15 minutes if Catcher was almost 6 or so minutes.

Atlas almost made Chinese right? How much time was left for a song on the cd? Could give us a small clue of how long atlas is. It has to be longer then watever time was left available I suppose. Unless they threw in a shorter song?

Atlas is 1069 pages in most copies, CITR is 224 pages; not that a length of a piece of art determines how long another medium of art ought to be to transcribe an emotion or conflict inspired or lifted from the written form but epic is epic after all.

I also played the seventh solo on Atlas, it chimes in at about the 22nd minute part.

Atlas is 1069 pages in most copies, CITR is 224 pages; not that a length of a piece of art determines how long another medium of art ought to be to transcribe an emotion or conflict inspired or lifted from the written form but epic is epic after all.

I also played the seventh solo on Atlas, it chimes in at about the 22nd minute part.

Did I miss something?

It's not really that progressive. The main song has just about as many parts as a lot of other GNR songs. They just get repeated a lot. And then you have the outro.

Long does not equal progressive.

long does not equal good either

although locomotive is a good song and is an exception to my statement

• Like 1

Yeah Locomotive is one of GN'R's best songs. That outro is fucking glorious and Slash's riffs are indomitable.

Catcher could have been equal to the UYI epics had the Brian May solo been left in and the production been improved a bit.

• Like 1

Yeah Locomotive is one of GN'R's best songs. That outro is fucking glorious and Slash's riffs are indomitable.

Catcher could have been equal to the UYI epics had the Brian May solo been left in and the production been improved a bit.

Truest statement I have read in a long time.

GN'R doesn't have a progressive song in their catalog. Honestly, Shackler's is about as close as you get to it.

You need to look up what progressive sounds like. Slash would shit his pants if he had to play Dream Theater/John Petrucci guitar parts.

of course they have progressive songs it is just that you dont know what it means if you think SR is prog. NR is guns most progresive and best composed

GN'R doesn't have a progressive song in their catalog. Honestly, Shackler's is about as close as you get to it.

You need to look up what progressive sounds like. Slash would shit his pants if he had to play Dream Theater/John Petrucci guitar parts.

of course they have progressive songs it is just that you dont know what it means if you think SR is prog. NR is guns most progresive and best composed

You apparently don't listen to anyone other than GN'R. Look up prog rock/metal.

Let me guess, you think 'Garden of Eden' is thrash metal?

If you think NR is prog rock then there's just nothing else I have to say.

Locomotive is a song that could be easily turned into a 3-4 mins song and keeping the essence of it while being less boring. I think CD is the result of this process of "time compression" when it comes to the songs' length. TWAT, for example, is a quite long song, but there isn't a single bit I could take off from it (the complete opossite as for Locomotive).