Locomotive is the most progressive song of all gnr time

Axl's music is less bloated now compared to things like Locomotive, but somehow a lot of the long epics worked surprisingly well like Estranged, Locomotive, Civil War, and November Rain.

Breakdown and Coma felt long, but there was a lot to say there, and you felt it wasn't a waste of time listening to those songs (except the annoying ass chorus in Breakdown let me not hear it now)

There Was A Time is leaner, Catcher too. Prostitute is similar to Locomotive with it's 2 minute outro and lead breaks, and it shows Axl found a way to create modern short long Gn'R epics, but then again Street Of Dreams was really effective as a UYI styled tune that proved Axl can still write those as well. But it ain't progressive. None of it.

• Like 1

Axl's music is less bloated now compared to things like Locomotive, but somehow a lot of the long epics worked surprisingly well like Estranged, Locomotive, Civil War, and November Rain.

Breakdown and Coma felt long, but there was a lot to say there, and you felt it wasn't a waste of time listening to those songs (except the annoying ass chorus in Breakdown let me not hear it now)

There Was A Time is leaner, Catcher too. Prostitute is similar to Locomotive with it's 2 minute outro and lead breaks, and it shows Axl found a way to create modern short long Gn'R epics, but then again Street Of Dreams was really effective as a UYI styled tune that proved Axl can still write those as well. But it ain't progressive. None of it.

yes - biggest parallel is prostitute which ironically ends the last chapter of current gnr progressive song in a sense

GN'R doesn't have a progressive song in their catalog. Honestly, Shackler's is about as close as you get to it.

You need to look up what progressive sounds like. Slash would shit his pants if he had to play Dream Theater/John Petrucci guitar parts.

of course they have progressive songs it is just that you dont know what it means if you think SR is prog. NR is guns most progresive and best composed

You apparently don't listen to anyone other than GN'R. Look up prog rock/metal.

Let me guess, you think 'Garden of Eden' is thrash metal?

If you think NR is prog rock then there's just nothing else I have to say.

you dont know who are you talking to. prog rock and metal is pretty much the only thing i listen to: dream theater, rush, yes, haken, forward shapes, porcupine tree, etc, and a lot of less known prog bands. my whole music life revolves around prog so you are.the one to reevaluate your concept of what prog is. i havent listened to gnr in a while. i feel competent enough to state that NR is gnr most prog work Edited by the rush

you realize you know nothing about me and are regardless making claims about my music taste and listening experience. I know every DT song by heart, half of Rush's songs by heart. Music I'm composing is extremely progressive (more so than any other band i've listened to) but we don't have to stop here so that you take my word for it. we can discuss. please tell me what progressive music is and tell me why you think SR is closest to prog that gnr have done and then I'l give you my opinion

I don't know what else to say to this guy.

For the record, neither are really prog but to claim NR is and shacklers not leaves me speechless.

The prog community would hunt this guy down and kill him for even mentioning the name gnr and prog together

They sound like they mean business. Maybe I should delete my previous post.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

For the record, neither are really prog but to claim NR is and shacklers not leaves me speechless.

The prog community would hunt this guy down and kill him for even mentioning the name gnr and prog together

Prog rock is for virgins and ugly chasers.
  • Like 1

ok, i see i have to do the dirty work. why NR is why Locomotive Locomotive sort of is and why shackler moste definitely isn't. Music can be progresive in song structure or in more technical things like time signatures and developement of melodies on each instrument.

shackler has basic rock structure Verse.Chorus-solo Chorus. 0% prog

instrumentation: drums 0%, bass 0%, guitars are kind of progressive, but only the parts during verses taht Ron put together.

Locomotive structure: has a prolonged instrumental intro more orl less samey middle part of chorus verse and a distinct outro, I'd say that the structure is mildly progresive, instruments not so much,

NR has an elaborate structure with prolonged intro with a melody that develops (not repetitive), there are numerous transitions of motives which are smoothly done and without any repetitive "rules". even solos are not your typical solos but elaborate segments which hold their own place ina the whole composition, then the outro which is different but not out of place. the whole songs progresses from beginning til end: progresssive song structure 100%. Instrumentation is also very progressive with noe melodies or riffs that are repeated over and over againg on both guitars and bass as well as symhonic bacgground.

ok, your turn

• Like 1

Prog rock is for virgins and ugly chasers.

Also, mouth breathing booger eaters.

I do not know if I would call any track in the Guns N' Roses canon progressive, but I do think "Locomotive" is a top 5 GN'R track for sure. In many ways I see it as the defining song of the Use Your Illusion era.

November Rain is the song that defines that era for me. But it was so fractured as an album that there is a defining song for every member except of Matt.

Catcher is the most progressive song plot of all time. Even Axl doesn't know what he sings but it somehow works tying Caulfield, Chapman and Salinger together with beautiful nonsense.

i bought CD and i don't even care to remember catcher it is so underwhelming especially the chorus - CD only has prostitute that comes close to progressive

Catcher is a terrible song with Axl's whiny vocals, lack of any memorable moment or melody and Ron's noise (can't call it a solo) is just terrible. Synth solo break is cute, Axl trying to sound modern :lol:

Demo version is a lot better, still not even close to the greatness of Locomotive. Axl must stick to hard rock and love ballads, he can't do other stuff.