Butter Vs. Margarine

Snake-Pit

Butter Vs. Margarine (Public Poll)  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But you are missing my point. The reason for differences in lactose toleration levels are given as, differences in historic culinary regions; long term exposure to these culinary regions has produced the necessary changes in different people through natural selection. Britain existed as a bread eating culinary region, augmented with, milk and cheese, so Britain fits the theory, of high toleration levels. China existed as a rice-irrigation economy with next-to-no husbandry so it stands to reason that China fits the theory, of low toleration. India, does not fit the theory.

• Like 1

But you are missing my point. The reason for differences in lactose toleration levels are given as, differences in historic culinary regions; long term exposure to these culinary regions has produced the necessary changes in different people through natural selection. Britain existed as a bread eating culinary region, augmented with, milk and cheese, so Britain fits the theory, of high toleration levels. China existed as a rice-irrigation economy with next-to-no husbandry so it stands to reason that China fits the theory, of low toleration. India, does not fit the theory.

But only 18 % of Indians consume (a lot of) dairy products, which fits perfectly with the frequency of lactose intolerance (between 70 and 80 %). But your theory is still flawed since it assumes that every population that consumes dairy products would automatically develop lactose tolerance within the time span since humans started keeping cows, sheep and goats. That is simply not the case. The probability of a population evolving in specific ways depends on selection pressure (which is very low for something like lactose intolerance) and the amount of generations that has passed (not that many, genetically speaking), and even if this probability is > 50 it is still only a probability, meaning that you will find populations subjected to dairy but which simply hasn't been lucky enough to develop tolerance.

Edited by SoulMonster

Just to back Lenny up here. .. when in Sri Lanka I've never seen anyone not being able to consume dairy.

Everybody's able to consume dairy, the question is whether they are able to digest it. It's like the saying, "Every mushroom can be eaten, but some you only eat once".

But it is interesting what you say, because from my text book in molecular genetics from when I was a student I remember it said that only 3 % of Sri Lankans are lactose tolerant :shrugs:. I found this study:

Lactose tolerance tests (LTT) in 200 normal adult Ceylonese have shown that 145 (72.5%) had a flat LTT, indicating a population prevalence of lactase deficiency of 66.2 to 78.8%. Jejunal lactase estimations in a smaller sample (41) confirmed this. Twelve of 55 subjects (21.8%) with a normal LTT had intestinal symptoms after lactose and intestinal lactase was low in most of them. It is suggested that little lactase is required to elevate the blood sugar but that more may be required to prevent diarrhea. On the other hand, 65.5% had no symptoms despite a flat LTT, and the possible reasons for this are considered.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/870373

Far from the 3 % I was taught, but very close to the numbers for lactose intolerance among Indians, which makes sense.

Edited by SoulMonster

Like Chris Rock said 'hungry people ain't allergic to shit' :lol:

Of course they're fucking not, because the majority of allergies, especially in adults, are caused by overconsumption. My 'mother in law' has a life threatening allergy to sulfates, also known in the preservative numerical order as 220 or anything in the 220's. The way she developed this allergy was by over consumption of the 'ingredient' which culminated in a weekend of winery crawling where rather substantial quantities of wine were consumed. At the end of the weekend she went into anaphylactic shock and her throat started closing up and she was within a hair's breadth of dying. Luckily she was saved but now she cannot consume anything with wine or vinegar in it. And that means processed bread, processed meats, biscuits and cakes, dried fruits, and pretty much most processed food. You wouldn't believe how much 220 is in nearly everything we consume. Just inhaling the smell of balsamic vinegar makes her cough and her throat starts to close.

So yeah, hungry people who ain't allergic or intolerant to shit are generally so because of the fact they're always hungry. No surprise there. :P

Just to back Lenny up here. .. when in Sri Lanka I've never seen anyone not being able to consume dairy.

Everybody's able to consume dairy, the question is whether they are able to digest it. It's like the saying, "Every mushroom can be eaten, but some you only eat once".

But it is interesting what you say, because from my text book in molecular genetics from when I was a student I remember it said that only 3 % of Sri Lankans are lactose tolerant :shrugs:. I found this study:

Lactose tolerance tests (LTT) in 200 normal adult Ceylonese have shown that 145 (72.5%) had a flat LTT, indicating a population prevalence of lactase deficiency of 66.2 to 78.8%. Jejunal lactase estimations in a smaller sample (41) confirmed this. Twelve of 55 subjects (21.8%) with a normal LTT had intestinal symptoms after lactose and intestinal lactase was low in most of them. It is suggested that little lactase is required to elevate the blood sugar but that more may be required to prevent diarrhea. On the other hand, 65.5% had no symptoms despite a flat LTT, and the possible reasons for this are considered.

Far from the 3 % I was taught, but very close to the numbers for lactose intolerance among Indians, which makes sense.

"Ceylonese"? How old is that study,

"Ceylonese"? How old is that study,

I think it was for the 70s :D