Should Axl have done overdubs for Appetite for Democracy?

Should Axl have done overdubs for Appetite for Democracy?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can we aim a little higher for ourselves than saying we all came in here with predetermined opinions? I feel like that just completely stifles discussion. Sure, it's probably true for like 1-2 people, but it's not for most, on either side. Have we forgotten the last few days of the residency already?

I mean, I said Jungle and CD were fine. Come on.

Maybe I jumped in a little hard, but you did make the thread after seeing songs that Axl has been performing poorly for years now. I wouldn't have reacted the way I did if you'd seen the whole thing.

Guest Gunns

Just listened to nightrain again

yes its quiet good, probably because he's actually trying more in this song then in the other songs where he reverts back to his comfortable high clean 'old lady' voice

Can we aim a little higher for ourselves than saying we all came in here with predetermined opinions? I feel like that just completely stifles discussion. Sure, it's probably true for like 1-2 people, but it's not for most, on either side. Have we forgotten the last few days of the residency already?

I mean, I said Jungle and CD were fine. Come on.

Maybe I jumped in a little hard, but you did make the thread after seeing songs that Axl has been performing poorly for years now. I wouldn't have reacted the way I did if you'd seen the whole thing.

I hear ya. And that is a good point about YCBM and SCOM, but I probably wouldn't have made the thread if I hadn't seen NR as well and heard the rumblings about how weak Better was too.

Guest Gunns

At the end of the day, those are the ones they chose to put on youtube.

I guess this way nobody can accuse them of cherry-picking the best parts to make it look better than it is. :lol:

Its the same thing as showing the ending of a really bad movie in the trailer, kind of deflating and not really motivating in wanting to go and watch the rest of the movie :lol:

Guest Gunns

At the end of the day, different people enjoy the different singing styles Axl pulls off. Some prefer his higher, more clean weaker voice, others prefer his harsher yet stronger rasp voice. You take into account the 3D, dj ashba poses, vegas girls and setup,and once again, some like that , others dont.

The Bluray will have something for everybody, the only difference is, it wont please both sides all the time, a lot of people that expect a tight and powerful performance from Axl will be let down. Is it consistent with any 2012 show? Yes.

accept it for what it is.

No. He should have not released that joke of a concert.

Nosaj... PLEASE, please let us Axl fans have something. Plus, can you imagine the backlash and :rofl-lol: if Axl had prevented the release of this ?

It's not that Axl should have not released anything but he had better moments in prior years with the same line-up and that would have worked 10000 times better.

I could imagine that people laughing at the cancellation of the release would have been less than the actual people laughing at how bad Axl sounds (and there are more to come with the official release of the blu-ray). It's out there, you know? I read some comments on YouTube and even I felt bad about it.

Sure, there were better shows, but this is the one we get and it’s not their worst either.

YT comments are always bad, FB comments too. Axl just gets a lot of hate, regardless. Imo, they would have been equally hateful if a ‘better’ show was released. And by this I don’t mean the people on the boards, but the people who spell Axel, Izzy Standlin and have nothing better to say than ‘It isn’t Guns N’ Roses’? I don’t really value their opinion.

I am looking forward to your and other posters full review, however :)

1. CD sounds fine

2. Jungle sounds fine

3. ISE is weird. He's doing these fucked up things with his deep voice, and he's noticeably out of breath when you're just listening to audio, but he actually hits most of the rasp parts.

4. Brownstone - Meh, it's OK. Same weird shit with the low voice.

5. Estranged - Abomination. There's no other word for it.

I'm leaning toward saying he should have done them. Don't yell at me, Mike420, I admit I've only seen like 5 videos, but based on what I've seen.....ugh.

Sir prepare for the tongue lashing of your life....

j/k. Based upon what has been released, it does make you think, just make them better. So I get where you are coming from. But honestly I don't think they are needed. Other than Jungle, the first 5 or 6 songs are not all that impressive, no. So that does beg the question. But the last 6 or 7 songs are so good that I like it the way it is. I have been singing The Seeker in my head since I watched the show, and yes I do hope it's on the next album. Axl sounds freaking awesome on it. I guess the problem is, that other than Jungle and November rain (most of the time) Axl doesn't sing the "hits" all that well anymore. Some concerts are better than others, yes, but overall he hasn't sang SCOM, YCBM, and even Paradise city really well since the old days. He has also changed the way he sings them now, as many have pointed out (Mickey). But I am starting to become of the opinion that he is actually singing many of the songs better now, than he has in a long time. Yes the "rasp" is gone on songs like SCOM, but he is singing it well, he sounds good. He doesn't sound like the Appetite album version no, but he does sound good. Better than anyone else I've heard sing that song. A hell of a lot better than Myles nasally voice for sure. Maybe some female singers can sing SCOM better than Axl does currently, but I can't see any male singers doing SCOM better than Axl still does. That has to count for something...

But when they have to promote something like this, they have to show the "hits" because that's what the casual buyers will be interested in, and unfortunately the "hits" are not Axl's strong suit anymore. But don't let YCBM and SCOM keep you from some really good singing on Axl's part overall. Nighttrain, Don't cry, Civil War, The Seeker, Jungle, Patience, Used to love her, and Paradise city are all very good, if not great.

Edited by Mike420

compare just YCBM clip to any YCBM clip from Rio 91, Paris '92, Tokoyo '92 and please try not to laugh!

This looks like a terrible cover band withfunny looking musicians.

and I won't even go into fact there are 3 guitars now compared to 2 before, 2 keyboards and it all sounds MUCH worse!

Guest Gunns

7. LALD sounds the same as it always does the past few years. If you've enjoyed it, you'll enjoy it. If you don't, you won't. I really don't like how he does the screams these days.

wwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooyeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Edited by Gunns

Who chose Magisme as the official DVD critic? I contest this decision.

I'm not official at all. Anyone can do what I'm doing if they want.

8. TIL - Honestly, I was expecting a lot better. This is one of those songs that he usually gears up for and nails. He hit some of the parts, but overall it's definitely a subpar performance compared to most live TILs that I've listened to.

9. Better - Hold up on this one for a sec. I was expecting a lot worse based on what people are saying. It's not terrific, but it's fine for the most part. He goes a little Mickey in a couple of the verses, but this is better than everything else so far except for CD and Jungle.

Just for the record, since we're speaking exclusively about Axl's voice here, that's all I'm referring to.

Alright, I've watched all the videos available, in the best quality possible in a not so bad sound system. It sounds bad. Worse than any bad day in the 87-93 era that still got overdubbed.

Like mags said, Jungle and CD sound fine. Axl sounds good. If you still consider me a hater who only wants to bash Axl and the band after reading this statement, FUCK OFF. Thanks.

Paradise City and SCOM have been terrible for years now, totally deserved a new vocal track. A vocal track with Axl sounding like he gives a shit. NR sounds awful. YCBM is a joke. No Bruno, it's not because he doesn't sing with "drive", it's because he sounds and looks like he's dying.

Oh but I didn't watch the whole concert, so I can't judge? Of course I can, the show is old, I've watched recordings on Youtube and there's little difference, to be honest. A professional recording won't suddenly make Axl sound raspy. He sounds mostly like shit on YT and in the bluray. The difference is that his Mickey Mouse Helium No Power voice is crystal clear in the bluray, which makes it even harder to watch.

Overdubbing Live Era and releasing this shows how clueless Axl is. If you like his clean voice, good for you, unlike mike420 I don't think opinions can be wrong, they're just opinions, personal taste, etc. My opinion is that Axl should always sing with the voice that made him famous or not sing at all.