GN'R Related ALS Challenges

Didn't Slash get challenged? Surely he won't let an opportunity to tip ice out of his top hat pass by.

Well, he was challenged by WFA and probably a dozen of others I don't know of.

Shame you know of WFA.

Why is it a shame Lio knows me?

I'm sure Axl gives to plenty of charities without having to make a fool of himself.

I don't get this whole ice bucket thing. Just give to charities. It's just another way for celebrities to get their names mentioned online and in the papers and anywhere else.

Let me spell it out for you since there seems to be a lot of people who simply cannot grasp the concept of raising awareness. I'll also touch on a few other things people are bitching about when it comes to the ALS ice Bucket Challenge.

It's a challenge that started with one person challenging his friends. The thing went viral because people wanted to accept the challenge and it's a really good cause. It's not just another way for celebrities to get their names out there as it wasn't started by celebrities but thanks to celebrities it's caused even more awareness. And the truth is its kinda fun and people wanna be a part of it.

Now for this naive idea that people should just donate and and say fuck the ice bucket challenge well how much awareness does that raise? How many more donations does that inspire? And before anybody says it hasn't raised awareness, BULL FUCKING SHIT! ALS has been in the spotlight now for almost an entire month. You can bet your ass a large percentage of the people who have participated in the thing likely didn't even know what it was before the ice bucket challenge. They may have heard about it but a lot of people probably didn't even know what ALS really was. You can bet your ass people(not everyone) have done some research now and YES it has created a shit ton of awareness.

As for how effective it's been well the numbers don't lie. In the last 3 1/2 weeks ALS has received over $80 million in donations. Compare that to $2.5 million over the same time frame last year and that's all you need to know. It's raised an unprecedented amount of funds. It's unlike anything we've seen before and it will no doubt change the way organizations fund raise.

Also the whole topic about people being hypocrits and only doing it for attention..... who gives a flying fuck as long as they are donating and spreading the word. People complaining about the ice bucket challenge really need to give their heads a massive shake. If this was a cause near and dear to you would you really care what the motives were for people to be donating or would you just think it's fucking awesome how much money is being raised for research and how much awareness is being raised? An anonymous donation is not better than a public donation. Never has been, never will be. A donation is a donation. People who donate privately that's fine but they are not better more genuine people because of it and if they think so then they are actually the ones who's motives are in question.

And to everyone who has bitched about it being a waste of water well holy shit if that's not hypocrisy at it's finest I don't know what is. Anyone who bitches that it's a waste of water better have a timer in their shower. They better not have ever poured out a glass of water. They probably should never let their kids run in the sprinkler. I hope they don't run the tap while brushing their teeth etc etc etc. The water argument is so invalid because most of us waste more water in our daily shower than we ever could in an ice bucket challenge. We can all agree that clean water is one of if not THE thing we take for granted the most but to start being so righteous about that over the ice bucket challenge? Anyone who thinks that way gets a big STFU from me. It's beyond righteous and beyond hypocritical.

The ice bucket challenge is a GREAT thing and the people who complain about it or try and dismiss it as stupid are seriously missing the point. Most people who hate on it simply do so because it's filling up their newsfeeds on facebook. GOOD! Nobody would be bitching about this if it was for Breast Cancer, or spinal cord research or for the SPCA but because ALS doesn't affect as many people and it's flooded your facebook newsfeed people are sick of it. Too fucking bad. Too many people are acting like douchey hipsters and trying to be profound and brilliant and labeling the whole thing dumb and in reality they just come off looking like ignorant fools. It's not music, it makes no sense to hate it just because it's gone Top 40.

I hope Axl and Slash both do it. I'd have a lot of respect for them for accepting just like I did for DJ, Bumble, Duff and anybody else who has accepted. I don't care what their motives are as long as they accepted because they wanted to and made a donation because they felt it was worth while. And honestly I don't care how much anyone donates. If they make a donation it's all good in my books. It's not up to me to tell someone how much they should be donating.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 3

I don't think it's 100% stupid, but some of the critics have good points, and they would apply equally to breast cancer or whatever other pet, developed world white people problems issue.

How do the critics have good points? What's negative about it in any way shape or form? ALS, Cancer, MS, whatever isn't exclusive to developed world white people problems. No offence dude but that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

It's actually 100% awesome and the critics are blowhards who do not make good points when criticizing this.

This guys sums it up best. The worst thing about the Ice Bucket Challenge is the people who criticize it.

http://www.vice.com/read/the-worst-part-of-the-ice-bucket-challenge-is-the-people-criticizing-it-822

fuck off

This Ice Bucket shit is the prime example of the 21 st century hypocrisy

Most of the people do this because their popularity or because it's a trend. Not for the case

You're a prime example of the consum idiotism, though

Edited by Crash Diet
  • Like 1

This guys sums it up best. The worst thing about the Ice Bucket Challenge is the people who criticize it.

http://www.vice.com/read/the-worst-part-of-the-ice-bucket-challenge-is-the-people-criticizing-it-822

fuck off

This Ice Bucket shit is the prime example of the 21 st century hypocrisy

Most of the people do this because their popularity or because it's a trend. Not for the case

You're a prime example of the consum idiotism, though

You're one of those fucking douchebags who sees charitable donations as a competition and unless you're 100% invested in a cause your donation is worthless. YOU are what's wrong with society because you're the type of loser who doesn't comprehend that you need the public support when it comes to this shit. You're the type of douche who when people come together for something good all you see is negativity. You're the loser who sits at home and criticizes people yet you do fuck all yourself. If I donate to cancer research I bet you think I'm a moron who's doing it only for attention. Wow people like you need to be curb stomped. Nothing but a dipshit too cool for school loser who has a "fuck the mainstream" mentality. You're the type who worries about why others are donating as if it even matters, rather than just worrying about yourself. What it's to you why others help and support a cause. Why does someone have to dedicate their lives to something to make a donation or spread the word. I can't wait till the day you have a cause you believe in and seek out support and some person tells you to go fuck your hat. Morons like you have no grasp on what raising awareness or fund raising means. Not one single donation is a hypocritical donation because it's real. The money has been donated and that's all that matters and only a complete moron would sit there and bitch about such a good thing. And what's hilarious is you have no idea who the fuck I am or how this cause affects me.

Go fuck yourself you pathetic piece of trash.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

So what if it's the stupid trend of the summer, they raised 80 million dollars and counting and the word spread fast. They probably won't be able to raise that type of money next year.

I'm happy that they went from a few million last year into crossing the 100 million dollar mark this year. Hopefully the cash injection will help.

I don't think it's 100% stupid, but some of the critics have good points, and they would apply equally to breast cancer or whatever other pet, developed world white people problems issue.

How do the critics have good points? What's negative about it in any way shape or form? ALS, Cancer, MS, whatever isn't exclusive to developed world white people problems. No offence dude but that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

It's actually 100% awesome and the critics are blowhards who do not make good points when criticizing this.

Well, since you're so open to discussion and don't see things entirely in black and white terms.... :lol:

My Dad died from MND as it is known in England/ALS in America. It is not a well known disease as is cancer or MS so any publicity and fund raising for me is very welcome as at the moment there is no cure or treatment for it. So any one who has taken the time to do this challenge I thank you all. It won't bring my Dad back but it may help others who are diagnosed in the future.

• Like 4

My Dad died from MND as it is known in England/ALS in America. It is not a well known disease as is cancer or MS so any publicity and fund raising for me is very welcome as at the moment there is no cure or treatment for it. So any one who has taken the time to do this challenge I thank you all. It won't bring my Dad back but it may help others who are diagnosed in the future.

So sorry for your loss, Axlsend. In the end, it doesn't matter if it's used for publicity, as long as they raise awareness and donate for research, it's positive in my book.

Eh, if the end result is positive, does it really matter how you get there? I mean, if the

extra funding produced from this helps create a cure or some sort of medication to aid

in slowing ALS or something, do you really think anyone is going to say "No, sorry, can't

take that, the ice bucket challenge was just a fad and everyone didn't conform to my

standard of sincerity."

I wanna see Axl do the challenge!

I would like to see Axl nominated so we get to read one of his brilliant explanations as to why he won't be doing it. I think it might read a little like the HOF letter.

Actually I don't think people should feel pressured to do something because it's a thing. Charitable acts are a very personal thing and he probably supports all kinds we don't know about.

Agree. From what we´ve heard through the years he seems to do these kinds of stuff from a private position so him not doing the ice bucket thing doesn´t mean that he isn´t aware of the good cause.

Ashba's was awesome, he does work hard despite not being the best choice for many as a GNR guitarist, I also think he's too limited but with the other two in the band he is adequate. Compared to many other apparent guitarists in modern alternative bands who make shitloads in easy trends, he isn't too offensive and has some talent, his media and swag obviously are lucrative spinners that enable him to tap into a particularly simple niche and he can afford a mansion so congrats on affording such a place to live and that was a pretty nice jump lol.

Shaun White nominated him

and I wanna know what the people, who bitch about water being wasted, do for charity, ever? Willing to bet not a whole lot so stfu. At least this has raised awareness and apparently raised a lot of money. Friends mother died of ALS last year and I had no idea what it was before that.

I saw that water was so precious in some parts of Africa, seems a frivolous use of a precious resource.

That's a really good point assuming you a. Have never taken a bath and b. For some reason think that the water used in these videos would have somehow made it to Africa otherwise.

• Like 2

I do quite a bit I think.

Manage walk-a-thons for cancer society

Ride for a local women's shelter

Help with campaigns four our hospital's foundation.

Donate

I do get your point and relatively speaking it is a bit of water for a very good cause. I can accept that. There was one of the videos, can't remember which one off hand, but it just used so much water to make the point. I've just been more sensitive to this since visiting Africa.

• Like 1