Anyone else think Axl should record an Audible book?

He should read a romance novel so we can watch some female posters and some unexpected male posters get super creepy about it.

Wuthering Heights. He'd make a good Heathcliff.

One of my favorites. :wub:
Mine too. I live near Bronte country, I love a bit of driving out in the moors with Kate Bush on the stereo.

He should read a romance novel so we can watch some female posters and some unexpected male posters get super creepy about it.

Female poster here, placing myself firmly at the front of the queue. So long as it isn't Twilight...

---

I nominate Night Watch by Terry Pratchett.

• Like 1

Interesting idea here ... audiobooks are an unexplored avenue for Axl to enter a studio to record something ... then spend years tinkering with and never releasing anything.

Rolling Stone exclusive (April 1, 2024)

An unnamed source says that there may be news on the Axl Rose front. Mysterious rumours have circulated for years about exactly what happened when Rose entered a Los Angeles studio to record a Cat in the Hat audiobook a decade ago. Fans have only heard a 30-second snippet leaked four years ago on the MyGNR fansite, which was followed up by the reclusive frontman firing off an angry fax to The Book Club stating that he was just about ready to put the "finishing touches" on the recording, and that eager fans should "live their lives" in the interim. Rolling Stone asked GNR's management for comment, and received a cryptic email stating that the audiobook will be "done when it's done". The email dismissed rumours that Rose had also recorded an audiobook version of Green Eggs and Ham as "more internet lies".

Edited by axlsalinger

Anything by Stephen King. Isn't The Stand one of his favourite books ever?

We had a local novelist come visit the school and speak to the students last year. During the Q&A this one English teacher who has no business being an English or any other type of teacher asked him who his favorite writers are. He named some legit people like Calvino and Chabon. English teacher follows up with, "Well, what do you think of Stephen King?" Novelist gave him one of these: :mellow:

We had a local novelist come visit the school and speak to the students last year. During the Q&A this one English teacher who has no business being an English or any other type of teacher asked him who his favorite writers are. He named some legit people like Calvino and Chabon. English teacher follows up with, "Well, what do you think of Stephen King?" Novelist gave him one of these: :mellow:

:lol: I bet he didn't see that one coming.

I don't get it.

I don't get it.

Most people would agree that there is a difference between what King does and "literature." It would be akin to asking a serious filmmaker what they think of Michael Bay's work.

I don't get it.

Most people would agree that there is a difference between what King does and "literature." It would be akin to asking a serious filmmaker what they think of Michael Bay's work.

Oh... really? I didn't know he wasn't respected.

I don't get it.

Me neither. Most people think he's great.

I don't get it.

It's more complicated than all that. I probably shouldn't be so glib about it since it's something I actually care about. Popular fiction, controversially, has become much more respected and discussed amongst those who anoint themselves the judges of such things. But those who maintain that "literature," as opposed to simply fiction, should be high minded and/or linguistically innovative have no interest in admitting King to the canon. Most of those people would still admit he's a compelling storyteller, I would imagine.

It's definitely more complicated than that. The Michael Bay comparison would be more apt for Grisham, although he has written some good stuff himself. (Not sure if Bay has done anything particularly good, although he looks like Stanley Kubrick compared to a hack like Brett Ratner). I am not a huge fan of Stephen King necessarily, but he is at or near the top of his genre, and has written some stuff that I consider to be really good (Stand, Green Mile, and a few others).

Speaking of Axl's reading list, I did happen to read A Scanner Darkly and The Stand based on his recommendation, and loved the hell out of both of them.

Edited by axlsalinger