How many songs Steven Adler play for use your illusion

He only recorded Civil War.

However he wrote many of the drum parts that Matt would latter record.

Many of the UYI songs were written even during the AFD days, they just either weren't finished yet or were saved for latter albuns.

• Like 1

The Mates rehearsal tape - Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, Garden of Eden, Dust N' Bones. There's video of Don't Cry and Back Off Bitch from the club days, KOHD was on the Ritz video and a Geffen promo (and I think a b-side). Perfect Crime's been mentioned. Bad Obsession and Yesterdays might have been done with the band. There might be an early band version of November Rain we've never heard other than the acoustic guitar and piano demos. There's probably snippets of demos going back to the mid 80s that wound up being songs later on.

I'm sure there's more. Estranged was kicking around for a while but not a band song yet, and there's probably a lot of songs they did in rehearsal they didn't record as well as home demos.

• Like 1

This interview is from 2010. He claims he played all the UYI songs on a demo tape (the truth is: what dalsh237 posted) He is talking shit about Matt in here, lol (just to hug him 2 years later at the RNRHOF, lulz)

Was Rocket Queen a song you had earlier worked up with Slash in Road Crew? No, we didn't do the Road Crew stuff really until the Use Your Illusion stuff. And that's one thing that really hurt me. It was very, very destructive when they kicked me out of the band but then they recorded all those songs. See, I did all the songs for Use Your Illusion; I recorded them on a demo tape in a recording studio with the band.
11676_5084d0bc62f05708643df8c56a631215_s

"There's a lot of tears involved. But it was day after day of believing and never doubting myself and working out my problems."

You recorded Back Off Bitch, You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry and some other stuff? I loved Back Off Bitch, I loved that song. I'm so pissed when I heard it. Oh, my god. That and Don't Cry. I came up with the most simple, most beautiful drums. That was what was devastating: those were my songs. Goddamit. And it still bothers me. I think I need to go to a meeting [laughs.] I have to go to a meeting now. After talking to you, I'm gonna have to go to a goddamn AA meeting. Thanks a lot! When you heard what Matt Sorum ended up playing on the Use Your Illusion records were you thinking, Oh, shit, I should have been playing on those songs? Oh, yeah. His were just half-assed, crappy versions. Nothing personal against the guy but he's like a goddamn drum machine. He's got no heart; he's got no soul; he's got no feel. And as life and the years have shown obviously I'm not the easiest drummer to replace. All I know is, Use Your Illusion would have been bigger than Appetite.
Edited by Crash Diet

Does anyone know about the Days of Thunder soundtrack Knockin On Heavens Door ? The soundtrack came out in 1990 so I always assumed it was the only other song they included on the Illusion albums beside Civil war that Steven played on but in the Illusion album credits Matt is listed as the drummer. Don't know if that was Matt's first track with them or if they just re recorded over Steve's drums for the Illusion release.

Edited by Nobody

I feel like losing Steven may have ruined some of the more rock n roll songs but Matt worked well on Nov Rain, YCBM, Estranged, Don't Cry.

Yeah his work on November Rain, YCBM, and Estranged was cool. Don't Cry though? stiff. Kinda stiff. Steven said he had a beautiful, delicate drum ideas for Don't Cry. We'll never know. But even before I've read about it, I didn't care for Matt's work on it.

I feel like losing Steven may have ruined some of the more rock n roll songs but Matt worked well on Nov Rain, YCBM, Estranged, Don't Cry.

Yeah his work on November Rain, YCBM, and Estranged was cool. Don't Cry though? stiff. Kinda stiff. Steven said he had a beautiful, delicate drum ideas for Don't Cry. We'll never know. But even before I've read about it, I didn't care for Matt's work on it.

Listen any live version from the AFD days or the demo i posted....

Edited by Crash Diet

Nah, I've listened to the live versions. I meant what it would have sounded like in the studio, and all the production etc. No studio version.

Nah, I've listened to the live versions. I meant what it would have sounded like in the studio, and all the production etc. No studio version.

Anyway what does it mean "delicate" in the world of drums? :D

Edited by Crash Diet

It's Steven Adler and words. What did you expect? why are there clouds in the sky? there is no reason!

It's Steven Adler and words. What did you expect? why are there clouds in the sky? there is no reason!

Hey Steven what is the current date?

Steven: 1988 or 1991?

Sometimes I feel like Steven's playing was too simple at times. Simple drum beats are cool and all, but sometimes you want to add a little something more, and his fills were all the same. Not saying Matt's were any better, cause he did that fill found on November Rain on pretty much all the UYI tracks, but still. Groove is cool, but I also like to hear huge tom rolls as well.

They could have made UYI with a session drummer if they wanted, and Steven could have played those songs fine in concert. If Axl had met Elton by then, he probably would have borrowed Elton's drummer to get the drum sound he wanted on those 3 songs.

I still find this amusing.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/08/07/mike-portnoy-calls-out-matt-sorum-for-his-boring-drumming/

He was perfect for AFD who knows he might've grown into the role if they had more time between the records then again that'd doubtless have meant more touring until UYI and might've killed even this guy going back out there, then even if he was coherent and able to learn the parts and contribute a little, develop some more, then goes out on an absolute behemoth of a world crusade... he would be dead surely considering the farcical excess of the UYI tour lol.

His were just half-assed, crappy versions. [...] he's like a goddamn drum machine. He's got no heart; he's got no soul; he's got no feel. And as life and the years have shown obviously I'm not the easiest drummer to replace. All I know is, Use Your Illusion would have been bigger than Appetite

damn straight, Popcorn!